• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

308 Win and 338 Lapua Magnum suggestions

JoeMinVail

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2021
Vail AZ
For 338 cal I have the following bullets.
185 grain Horn. GMX
230 Horn ELDX
285 Horn ELD Match
250 Sierra HPBT

For 308 I have not enough of anything to make it worth it, but Im thinking between 165 and 220 grains?
This is a 10 twist barrel. So I am going to have to scour the web anyway.

So does anybody have any pet loads for these rounds?
I know all rifles are different but maybe I can zone in on some commonalities.
I have 4831 powder (Hodgdon) in stock and 4955 (IMR), 4895 (Hodgdon), and 4350 (Accurate)
I have the tools to measure OAL on order, I have used other methods before, but figured I would upgrade.
The 338 is getting Redding bushing dies and I have several bushings coming. Seater is a Bonanza. You can't get a full set of anything right now.
The 308 has a set of Redding steel dies, with a Redding mike die for seating.

Can't wait to get these rifles hitting things!

Without a doubt get the Giraud comparator tool for measuring .338LM headspace and ogive. It's an extremely well made tool for short money.

I have decent results with the 285 ELD-M but haven't tried any of the others. I'm not using any of those powders in it.

For 338LM with 1-10 twist rate I would use the 250gr SMK HPBTs since you have them. I personal use 300 gr with H1000 at 91.5gr. For the 308 Win I like the SMK 175gr HPBT IMR 4064 at 41.8gr. Be sure to do your own work ups. I would recommend doing an OCW test by Scott Satterlee it will save you a lot of powder, bullets, and time. I hope this helps?