• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 win barrel length 20" or 24" for 830 yards

"Kyltro"

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2021
Chile
Hello

I am looking for a .308 win, this will be my first centerfire rifle (I learned to shoot it in the army), for shots at 830 yards maximum and I would like to know what barrel length is the most suitable for this distance.

I chose the .308 win, because it is an easy round to get in my country, it has a good variety of brands and prices.

My budget allows me to buy a Tikka T3 Varmint / CTR or a Bergara B14 HMR, the barrel lengths of these rifles are 20 "and 24".

Regards.

Either barrel length will work. Both guns would be more than capable of hitting a target at that distance.

I would try to find other shooters with the guns you are considering and talking to them, maybe hold the guns. But both of those choices are good guns for the money and more than capable of doing what you are asking.

Reactions: "Kyltro"
Either will do it just fine! If you want a handier rifle go short. If you don't care about that go long.

That 24 will give free velocity and extra margin for error on drop and wind calls. All very helpful at 800 yards.

My first precision rifle was a Tikka T3 Varmint with the 20" barrel in 308 winchester.
I shot out to 800 meters with that rifle and it is capable of more with the right bullet. The 175 grain Scenar L or 175 grain SMK will get you to a 1000 meters. I would say that the extra 4" of barrel wont give you much of anything in a 308, sure a few fps more but noting that would make a huge difference, so stay with the 20" and keep it handy.

The Tikka I had was sold to a friend and it still shoots amazing, it has more than 4000 rounds through it now. As you might have guessed, I would get the Tikka over the Bergara any day.

Last edited:
Its a funny thing shooting and reloading. People will cut their barrels to 16" then blow primers trying to get an extra 40fps out of their reloads.

Its amazing how boasting about velocity online to strangers becomes a badge of honor.

OP: If primarily a target rifle, the 24 inch barrel will allow you to experiment a little lower in the powder charge range and still realize the same velocity as someone running hotter loads in a shorter barrel. This is assuming you handload. If not, you're probably looking at only gaining about 50 yards of useable range with the longer tube and factory ammo.

24" unless you plan on carrying it around anywhere. 20" if you are. Theres not that much difference between the two at 850. 1.4 mil extra drop at 850 and less than .1 mil extra wind at 5mph.

Either will do what you want. Have had 20", 22", 24" and 26" .308s and all made 1000 without a problem. Especially now with the newer higher BC bullets like the 168 or 178 ELD-Ms any of them can do it. As mentioned though the free velocity is nice.

I appreciate their valuables answers (y)
I have looked for 24" barrels but they are only in the catalog, around here only available in 20" Tikka and Bergara.

You could tell me which twist is better;
Bergara 1:10 "
Tikka 1:11"

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntingthem
I appreciate their valuables answers (y)
I have looked for 24" barrels but they are only in the catalog, around here only available in 20" Tikka and Bergara.

You could tell me which twist is better;
Bergara 1:10 "
Tikka 1:11"

Regards.
For 20" id prefer 1:10" but I wouldn't have a problem with 11 either. Only time that may be an issue is if you try and sling the 190+ class... and it might be fine too.

24" barrel get whichever rifle feels better and is a good deal. 11 vs 10 won't matter much.

Only 20" I've ever had, was a Remington LTR.
That was a nice rifle.
Everything else has been 24" or longer.
I don't think the 1:10 or 1:11 twist is much of a variable.
Being a Tikka owner, that's what I would get.

Either a 10 or 11 will work. My current 20” is an 11 twist and shoots 178s to 1000 and then some. I wouldn’t go higher than a 178 in a .308 anyways as I feel you hit a velocity vs BC lime but some do.
I agree with this. BC is good but extra velocity is helpful.

Reactions: Cuephoric1
I am all about short barrels and prefer 16"-18", but I always tell people to go long unless you have a specific reason for going short. Not a "It would be nice if I ever do X..." but an actual "it benefits me because I do X" kind of thing.

Get that velocity. It always makes life easier and usually more enjoyable unless you're a masochist.

Last edited:
While I do know that a faster powder could be used to push velocity a bit.
I still feel that it needs to be said, that under normal conditions with regular reload data or factory ammo, any .308 Winchester will shoot 168-178 grain bullets at around 2600-2720 fps (or about 790-830ms) no matter what barrel lenght you run. That is my experience from my shooting and friends shooting the same caliber says the exact same thing.
With that said, you can always hot rod a round and run a 30" barrel but that is not what we are talking about here.

I had a Tikka T3 Varmint with a 20" barrel. It shot really well with 178 grain AMAX and 175 grain Scenar L using the same load of Norma powder at a velocity right around 2600 fps.

I have a Sako TRG22 with a 26" barrel. Guess what, it shoots really well with 175 grain Scenar L and 175 grain SMK right at 2600 fps.
Crazy, huh?

There is not a whole lot more room for powder in the cases, so while a faster powder could probably get a few fps more, why bother? It shoots great out to 1000 meters and probably a bit more if I ever get to strech it further than that.
If you can/need to regularly shoot beyond 1000 meters, you would probably pick another round. I keep my .300 Win Mag around for those occations.

Last edited:
Got another barrel to fit to my AIAT. First one on the gun is in 6.5CM at 23". The 308 barrel will be installed at 20" finished length.

I had a 18" on a Remmy action....box Hornady 168AMAX ammo came out just a tick under 2600fps (2597fps avg.) Even the 18" will make it to 800+. That barrel was a 8 twist.

The 20" I'm putting on the the AIAT is a 10 twist.

I've already got a 24" fitted up to my M2008 action/rifle. Shoots like a million bucks but only shoot the 260rem and 6.5CM barrels on that one.

If you want go 22". Split the difference.

Or put one at 24"....if you don't like the length you can always have your gunsmith take some off of it. Once it's cut off....you can't glue it back on!

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

At sea level the extra barrel length helps. With that said, here is a link for a barrel length vs velocity test for 308. Good luck.

If you're primarily shooting Factory ammunition pill with longer Barrel if you're reloading on a regular basis regarding barrel length and twist, it's really not going to matter much until you get to the heavy or long projectiles

Hello

I am looking for a .308 win, this will be my first centerfire rifle (I learned to shoot it in the army), for shots at 830 yards maximum and I would like to know what barrel length is the most suitable for this distance.

I chose the .308 win, because it is an easy round to get in my country, it has a good variety of brands and prices.

My budget allows me to buy a Tikka T3 Varmint / CTR or a Bergara B14 HMR, the barrel lengths of these rifles are 20 "and 24".

Regards.
Barrel profiles being equal, many shooters will choose the longer barrel for the extra velocity. However, very competent shooters.....such as Todd Hodnett of Accuracy First and military trainer fame......often select the shorter barrel. Longer barrel has more harmonics flex and associated inconsistency. Consistency is King!!! As others will point out, shorter is easier to handle in many close quarter or brushy circumstances, and maybe 4-8 ounces lighter. Shorter barrel is stiffer with usually less harmonics inconsistency. Hodnett doesn't care about the extra velocity as he can consistently dial for the lower velocity and drift, but says cannot dial for the inconsistency of longer barre harmonic flex. Can't argue with his success as a long shooter, accomplished sniper, and trainer. Your specific application, preference may lean either way, or not make any difference. Only you can decide.

Barrel profiles being equal, many shooters will choose the longer barrel for the extra velocity. However, very competent shooters.....such as Todd Hodnett of Accuracy First and military trainer fame......often select the shorter barrel. Longer barrel has more harmonics flex and associated inconsistency. Consistency is King!!! As others will point out, shorter is easier to handle in many close quarter or brushy circumstances, and maybe 4-8 ounces lighter. Shorter barrel is stiffer with usually less harmonics inconsistency. Hodnett doesn't care about the extra velocity as he can consistently dial for the lower velocity and drift, but says cannot dial for the inconsistency of longer barre harmonic flex. Can't argue with his success as a long shooter, accomplished sniper, and trainer. Your specific application, preference may lean either way, or not make any difference. Only you can decide.
I don't believe that Todd is much more than a sales guy for Horus/Tremor and a moustache aficionado.

Last edited:
I have .308 rifles from 16” out to 26”.
20” is more comfortable to carry. But, just getting started going long range, 24” is going to be way easier to shoot while you learn the fundamentals. And as already stated, you can always cut some off later. By that time you will be buying suppressors so you can get it threaded at the same time lol.

Get the 24" and have it cut to 22". As that is the barrel length the .308 was designed for. 22" M-14.
42.0 of IMR-4064 and either a 168 or 175 bullet. Match load for an M-14,

Reactions: Mudmarine

It's not just harmonics with the length....

The longer the barrel length and even though the amount of time the bullet is in the bore is measured in milliseconds....time counts. The longer the barrel the more time the bullet is in the bore....the more time it's in the bore...the better your follow thru has to be. You get lazy and you can start pushing the shots.

I've seen this in Palma type shooting where the guy wants more velocity and he goes from a 30" barrel to 32" and even 34". They want all the velocity they can get with the 308w and a 155gr bullet but don't think of the barrel time. Also with rimfire shooting. Think about a RF for a minute. A 22RF pretty much burns all of it's powder in a 16" long barrel. Unless your shooting open sights on a small bore gun and the longer sight radius can help you.... but if your shooting strictly scope I run my barrel at about 21" long. I want the bullet out of the barrel quicker per say. Doesn't necessarily make the gun more accurate but it is helping your consistency in getting the shot off in my opinion. I don't run the barrel shorter than about 21" / 22" on the rimfire is for the simple reason of how the gun balances. I've seen plenty of guys go to the shorter barrel length because the longer one isn't needed and again the gun isn't more accurate but the shooters scores go up because of consistency with they're position and follow thru etc...

My opinion.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

A tad more....think of the 6PPC benchguys. Nearly all of the LV class guns those guys are running around a 21" to 22" barrel length. When they go to they're rail guns....now the barrel lengths jump up to 26". Only reason for the barrel length is to get a little more velocity out of it. With a rail gun weighing around 75# vs. the 10.5# weight limit for the LV guns....they're letting the rail gun do the work...less issues with them holding the stock and blowing the shot.

I'm gonna pick on the BR guys here...I do think some of the are off they're rocker though! :p

Reactions: Newbie2020
While I do know that a faster powder could be used to push velocity a bit.
I still feel that it needs to be said, that under normal conditions with regular reload data or factory ammo, any .308 Winchester will shoot 168-178 grain bullets at around 2600-2720 fps (or about 790-830ms) no matter what barrel lenght you run. That is my experience from my shooting and friends shooting the same caliber says the exact same thing.
With that said, you can always hot rod a round and run a 30" barrel but that is not what we are talking about here.

I had a Tikka T3 Varmint with a 20" barrel. It shot really well with 178 grain AMAX and 175 grain Scenar L using the same load of Norma powder at a velocity right around 2600 fps.

I have a Sako TRG22 with a 26" barrel. Guess what, it shoots really well with 175 grain Scenar L and 175 grain SMK right at 2600 fps.
Crazy, huh?

There is not a whole lot more room for powder in the cases, so while a faster powder could probably get a few fps more, why bother? It shoots great out to 1000 meters and probably a bit more if I ever get to strech it further than that.
If you can/need to regularly shoot beyond 1000 meters, you would probably pick another round. I keep my .300 Win Mag around for those occations.
Hey VargmatII,

I just picked up some Norma Powders, which are you currently using?

Thanks in advance.

For the same peak pressure a slower powder will pretty much always yield higher velocity. Running a faster powder at a higher pressure and saying it produces more velocity is idiotic, you aren't comparing apples with apples.

The longer the barrel length and even though the amount of time the bullet is in the bore is measured in milliseconds....time counts. The longer the barrel the more time the bullet is in the bore....the more time it's in the bore...the better your follow thru has to be. You get lazy and you can start pushing the shots.

I've seen this in Palma type shooting where the guy wants more velocity and he goes from a 30" barrel to 32" and even 34". They want all the velocity they can get with the 308w and a 155gr bullet but don't think of the barrel time. Also with rimfire shooting. Think about a RF for a minute. A 22RF pretty much burns all of it's powder in a 16" long barrel. Unless your shooting open sights on a small bore gun and the longer sight radius can help you.... but if your shooting strictly scope I run my barrel at about 21" long. I want the bullet out of the barrel quicker per say. Doesn't necessarily make the gun more accurate but it is helping your consistency in getting the shot off in my opinion. I don't run the barrel shorter than about 21" / 22" on the rimfire is for the simple reason of how the gun balances. I've seen plenty of guys go to the shorter barrel length because the longer one isn't needed and again the gun isn't more accurate but the shooters scores go up because of consistency with they're position and follow thru etc...

My opinion.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
When I was doing NRA shooting, I had an Anschutz 54 prone rifle with a 26" barrel on loan from Crane so I could practice on the local 100/200yd range. In doing some research, I asked an Olympic alternate who shot highpower with us in Orlando (Lana Ward) how best to shoot with the Anschutz.

She basically mirrored what you said. She said optimum barrel length for most smallbore shooters, even Dewar and 200yd, is actually 16-19" and use a bloop tube to extend the sight radius. She said the 26" tube I had would do two things to help me: build stamina for long prone sessions and improve follow-thru.

OP - For 308, when John Whidden was getting into Palma hot and heavy, he went against the norm and had his 308 with a Bisley chamber, but ran a 10" twist. When he was getting mediocre (for him) results with the 180/185s he tried the 155 SMKs on advice from another shooter and lo-and-behold, they shot fantastic from his 10" twist!! The general thought at the time was the 12 and 13" twists with the long tubes were the way to shoot the 155s.

Bottom line is, regardless of the tube you get, your rifle and how it is built will determine the accuracy. It's like a car. The engine could be a 1000hp LT5 with all the goodies but if it's hooked up to the wrong transmission/rear end combination, it's as useful as a Honda CVCC.

Find the right 'smith and LISTEN to their advice. @MikeRTacOps already gave you some above, and his 308s are beyond reproach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
Hello

Regards.
Really it depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it’s just target shooting go for the longer barrel, if you are hunting with it or need to move with it much, then the shorter barreled rifle would be better. As for Bergara vs Tikka, I would take Tikka myself, but as someone above mentioned, look for a Howa and give it some consideration too if they are available to you. The Weatherby vanguards are also Howa’s just badges with Weatherbys name.

I've seen this in Palma type shooting where the guy wants more velocity and he goes from a 30" barrel to 32" and even 34".
They want all the velocity they can get with the 308w and a 155gr bullet but don't think of the barrel time. Also with rimfire shooting. Think about a RF for a minute. A 22RF pretty much burns all of it's powder in a 16" long barrel. Unless your shooting open sights on a small bore gun and the longer sight radius can help you.... but if your shooting strictly scope I run my barrel at about 21" long. I want the bullet out of the barrel quicker per say. Doesn't necessarily make the gun more accurate but it is helping your consistency in getting the shot off in my opinion. I don't run the barrel shorter than about 21" / 22" on the rimfire is for the simple reason of how the gun balances. I've seen plenty of guys go to the shorter barrel length because the longer one isn't needed and again the gun isn't more accurate but the shooters scores go up because of consistency with they're position and follow thru etc...

My opinion.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
If your follow through is that bad..........(and you NEED a shorter barrel) practice or get training, fix it.
I shoot 34" palma barrels for the sight radius, and better Standard Deviation. You never tried to talk me out of it:)

Reactions: Frank Green
If your follow through is that bad..........(and you NEED a shorter barrel) practice or get training, fix it.
I shoot 34" palma barrels for the sight radius, and better Standard Deviation. You never tried to talk me out of it:)

If your a good shooter....the longer length can help you. :)

Is it for everyone.....I'll say no and or doesn't fit every application.

I've got a 32" on my 300PRC F open gun :giggle:. Needless to say....I'm not pulling it off! Can you say laser beam!

Reactions: Criver600
Both Tikka and Bergara will shoot straight.

You'll be great with 20".

Tikka barrels are known to be a bit slower than most other barrels by reputation.

Between 24" and 20" you're talking very roughly 50-55fps diff in most loads with either length.

Note that Frank Green (Bartlein) actually makes arguably the best barrels in the world so he knows what he's talking about.

TacOps builds some of the finest .308 rifles in terms of accuracy so Mike knows what he's talking about.

I'd listen when guys that not only have experience but actually produce the products speak.

That said, my advice mirrors the guys that say "does it fit in your trunk" and "do you want handier or a bit more velocity".

There is a reason the manufacturers choose 20" and 24". You won't go wrong with either.

I prefer 20" having owned .308 in 16.5, 18, 20, 22, 26.

Hello

Regards.
Took a class and shot 850 with AR10s 24” and 20”. The 20” was standard profile barrel and the 24” was a match bull. Both made the shots but the 20” was max 10 rounds and once hot couldn’t hit steel at 300, bull kept going, that said had barrels both been bull. Don’t think the 4” mattered at that distance. Was using 168gr

By the way i have a B14 in 300wm 26”

My .02 fwiw 1:10 twist and as short as you want. The twist adds flexibility to what you feed it and can capitalize on getting the most value out of higher bc bullets (155-200gr ranges for the high bc stuff). Most bullets of the modern higher bc projectiles when compared to standard smk’s of the same weight are a decent amount longer requiring faster twist to squeeze the most out of the bc value. I like 1:10 16’s for handiness, but a 20” with a 1:10 would be my next choice if i wanted a more balanced choice of bc, velocity and handiness. If i wanted max performance from a 308 and was ok sacrificing maneuverability, i would do a long action 308 with a 24” barrel and a 1:10 twist🤙 Long action 308’s (bdl) are my fave as a handloader in any barrel length. Tikkas give you the flexability of swapping out bolt stops for longer coal, most of them i believe come with a 1:11 though. Shooting boring 175smks at about 2480 ASL have always been consistent for my 16” guns to 800-900 when i had 1:12 twists, they kinda fall off the proverbial 308 cliff after that. Well see how the 185 juggs do from my 16” 1:10’s. Just some specs to think about from my expieriances with the ol 308🤙