• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 win barrel length 20" or 24" for 830 yards

As everyone has said, for that use case, go with the 24". You should have another 100 FPS+ over the 20" which should get 168 supersonic out past 900 at least.

I have a 16" .308 and I think I'm transonic around 750 yards or so, with FGMM.

FCA5D49C-C32B-4019-A552-2F2782199B4D.jpeg

As everyone has said, for that use case, go with the 24". You should have another 100 FPS+ over the 20" which should get 168 supersonic out past 900 at least.

I have a 16" .308 and I think I'm transonic around 750 yards or so, with FGMM.
Are we talking hitting steel? or what's needed to get to 830? because i've shot 850 20 and 24" with 168gr M118 Surplus and couldn't tell a difference aside from the std 20" 308 barrel being useless after 10 rounds need 20 plus min cool down, vs the 24" bull that didn't matter. Just trying to understand, i dared a similar post same question except asking recommendations for length and ammo used for those reaching extreme distances and got beat with sarcasm.

EBBIV - You can hit steel with a 12" .308 at 1000, or even 2000, if you have enough elevation in the turrets, and enough ammo. The issue with rounds like .308 or .223, that generally don't stay supersonic (faster than the speed of sound) out to 1000 or beyond, is that 1) many types of bullets can become unstable when the transition from supersonic to subsonic and 2) rounds start to drop A LOT as they slow down to those speeds, making distance calls very important, and wind calls infuriating. So all things being equal, if you want to avoid frustration and make hits at a specific distance, it can help to have a cartridge and barrel length that remains supersonic out to your desired range. To a point, the faster a bullet is, the flatter it shoots and the easier you can achieve hits at distance, but there is no free lunch and I love .308 because I don't like measuring my barrel life in minutes.

It isn't that you can't hit - for example, my 16" .308 is really consistent out to about 750 (I'm at sea level), sticking to around 2 MOA or so. But beyond that, my groups seem to open up to 4 or more MOA, and the wind calls become essential. It is fun, but I often feel like I am wasting ammo shooting further out than that. Whereas with 6.5 creed, for example, the wind calls, elevation, everything, is a lot easier at that distance. Not sure if that makes sense. If you said you only had access to a 500 or 600 range, most of us would likely say that either barrel length is just fine.

A 20" .308 is probably fine out to 830 or so, but if you have a particularly slow barrel (meaning when you chrono it, it tends to shoot slower than average), or try shooting 150 grain, or certain 168 grain loads, you might be on the transonic threshhold at that distance and just working a little harder than you would have to with a 24" barrel.

EBBIV - You can hit steel with a 12" .308 at 1000, or even 2000, if you have enough elevation in the turrets, and enough ammo. The issue with rounds like .308 or .223, that generally don't stay supersonic (faster than the speed of sound) out to 1000 or beyond, is that 1) many types of bullets can become unstable when the transition from supersonic to subsonic and 2) rounds start to drop A LOT as they slow down to those speeds, making distance calls very important, and wind calls infuriating. So all things being equal, if you want to avoid frustration and make hits at a specific distance, it can help to have a cartridge and barrel length that remains supersonic out to your desired range. To a point, the faster a bullet is, the flatter it shoots and the easier you can achieve hits at distance, but there is no free lunch and I love .308 because I don't like measuring my barrel life in minutes.

It isn't that you can't hit - for example, my 16" .308 is really consistent out to about 750 (I'm at sea level), sticking to around 2 MOA or so. But beyond that, my groups seem to open up to 4 or more MOA, and the wind calls become essential. It is fun, but I often feel like I am wasting ammo shooting further out than that. Whereas with 6.5 creed, for example, the wind calls, elevation, everything, is a lot easier at that distance. Not sure if that makes sense. If you said you only had access to a 500 or 600 range, most of us would likely say that either barrel length is just fine.

A 20" .308 is probably fine out to 830 or so, but if you have a particularly slow barrel (meaning when you chrono it, it tends to shoot slower than average), or try shooting 150 grain, or certain 168 grain loads, you might be on the transonic threshhold at that distance and just working a little harder than you would have to with a 24" barrel.
I completely understand what you’re saying i was trying to figure the oddball 830 yard bit, now if question was 20-24 and round as i want to attempt 1200 it id understand but 830 is like asking if i should use 20 or 24 for 200 yards, to me and while tons hi have tactical pistol/shotgun LE training im just learning Long Range, but To me at a 1000 or less on a calm day without wind to contend with, someone like you could with your eyes closed could dial in yout elevation make the shot hand off the rife to someone with a decent trigger pull And theyd make the shot in a shot or two. 830? Any intermediate cartridge any length. You obviously know the craft and have a lot of knowledge to offer so 26” 300WM B14 HMR what round for 2500 yards. Im sure you either have an opinion or at the very least the experience and expertise for a pretty accurate guess

Trying to push a 26” 300WM to 2500 yards I would be using something in the 215-230grn area with a good BC and get it going as fast as you can.

Reactions: Paradox
The Houston Warehouse answer?

OP - the bullet and powder behind it will matter a lot more than those four inches of barrel. That said, more barrel is more weight and more weight is less recoil. A few more fps at the muzzle won’t hurt either. I’ve got a 20” .308 and a 20” 6.5 CM because I like how they handle. I’ve got a 26” 6 CM as a target gun because I wanted the weight and the extra MV. Depends on what you want...

Tikka barrels tend to be slow, so I'd encourage the 24".
Rule of thumb is about 25 fps per inch.
100 fps is nothing to sneeze at.
Loads like the federal GMM are extremely accurate, but slow, coupled with a short barrel, you're not doing yourself any favors.
A suppressor changes the dynamic a bit due to the added length.

Reactions: Rob01