• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .308 win into.......

XHODZAX

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
minnesota
i would like to swap barrel on my .308 win
what should i go with
gun will be used for long range hunting mostly.

thanks

Re: .308 win into.......

What size animals? Long or short action? Make? If short and game no bigger than Moose, I'd consider a .284 Win. Lots of poop for a short action. JMHO

I hunt with a 257 Rbts & 270 Win, but in reality

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE 308 FOR HUNTING?

well i hunt a lot in south dakota antelope
so .308 win has a lot of drop up to and 1000 yards
30 cal begers do a lots of damage
that is why i would like something smaller with less drop
that can get me to 1000 yards

would 6.5-284 work in my gun ?????
it looks like hell of a caliber
smile.gif

savage 10 FCP HS Precision

You certainly can go to the 6.5x284. Its a hell of a round. Most people will tell you that with just a little loss in performance there are rounds that will offer considerably longer barrel life like the standard 284, or .260rem or 6.5x47lapua. Only thing to also consider is your action although longer than a remmy shortaction is still shorter than a remmy long action and you will loose some ability to really seat those long 6.5 or 7mm projectiles out there.

i was just looking @ 260 and 6.5x47
they don't outperform my 308
i shoot 47gr of varget with 155 bergers @ 2840
and it shoots
so i may just hang on to my 308 untill barel wears out and the decide if i want something different

If your going to be using this mostly as a hunting rig and therefor not burning up the barrel I would really consider the 6.5x284. Anyone know how much length he would be loosing going with the savage action vs a rem long action?

BDD,

I have had Jim Kobe put on quite a few barrels for me and he has always done a great job, he does quite a few barrels for the F-class shooters in the Twin Cities. Jim's work is quality, turnaround time is great and the price is good.

wade