• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Win long range bullet selection?

JCCinOhio

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2014
22", 1-10 twist and running a suppressor.. Wanting to try to bang steel out to 1000.

So far I've been shooting mostly 110gr vmax at yotes out of the rifle. I had a few boxes of older (2016ish) 175gr FGMM that would shoot easy sub .5 MOA, but just ran out. The new FGMM I have the bullets have less bearing surface and they don't shoot for shit. Quite a difference between the two base to ogive and base to tip (.025"). I also have a box of 500 of the 175smk with the same profile as the newer FGMM, and haven't been able to get a load worth a crap.. Been from 2550fps up to 2700 by .3gr with Varget and nothing looks good. Still trying some other powders, but searching for bullet alternatives.

Thinking of either the Berger 175gr OTM or 168 Hybrid. Is one better than the other in practice? Others I should look at? I know the 168gr SMK doesn't have a good long-range rep.

Please no advice on load development or powder.. just bullet selection.
I know there's a .308 Win page, but put this here for more visibility..
Old and New FGMM were shot on same day, back to back. Old shot under .3MOA, new was 1+, 1.2 IIRC. And 1+ is what I'm getting with the reloads.

Reactions: Enigmo
169smk

Odd you cant get 175s to shoot with Varget…almost have to go out of your way to not develop a successful load w/those….maybe Sierra put out a bad batch of bullets, who knows…

Just some thoughts.
Somewhere around 42 grains of Varget with the 175 SMK should be good. I am curious about the change you mention in the 175 SMK as I've haven't seen anything on that and would be surprised if Sierra changed that bullet. The old FGMM probably used IMR 4064 and the new is probably AR-Comp.

As for bullet I would look at the 175 OT Tactical or the 185 Juggernaut Tactical. These bullets should be easier to find a good load for.

I am running the 185 grain Berger VLD Hybrids. Zero complaints. Most accurate projectile I have found for 1000 yards with 308. I tried the 208 AMAX but my PVA barrel did not like them

Reactions: simonp
I am running the 185 grain Berger VLD Hybrids. Zero complaints. Most accurate projectile I have found for 1000 yards with 308. I tried the 208 AMAX but my PVA barrel did not like them
What is your barrel length & twist? And what velocity are you running them? Thanks!

169smk

Odd you cant get 175s to shoot with Varget…almost have to go out of your way to not develop a successful load w/those….maybe Sierra put out a bad batch of bullets, who knows…
I too would think a change to such a benchmark bullet…and loaded ammo…would not be trumpeted on the net and common knowledge.

Just get whatever shoots best for cheaper,

Cause,

E9F17401-20E6-41C4-AA6A-ED3EE89A0405.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: FCSA-UK
I was under the impression that Berger no longer was making the 200.20X
They still make the bullet but they’re hard to find. Sold out everywhere. You‘re probably thinking about Berger’s 200.20X line of ammo that was discontinued.

1681431844992.png

Wasnt someone on here having some sort of QC issue with FGMM? Ogive or seating were messed up from the norm or something like that?

You could go lighter with the 155 eld.
Very accurate, less recoil high enough BC to get out past 1000