• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester 178 ELD-X and IMR 3031. Loads, thoughts.

PRCslut

Private
Minuteman
Looking at working a load up using 3031. I am currently using varget and getting 2580 fps. Getting a bit of crunch when I seat. I heard 3031 could be a great alternative to varget. Very similar burn rate and the corns are smaller so the same weight of powder takes up less room in the case so I might avoid the crunch.

Anyone have any experience with this bullet and 3031?

IMR 3031 is not near the burning speed of Varget. It's a bit faster and is not that efficient with the heavier bullets. 3031 will work well with lighter bullets in the 150 grain or less category.

IMR4064 is very close to the speed of Varget and is a great powder for most all bullet weights like Varget is.

3031 is a lot bulkier than Varget so if you stay with the 178 ELD M or X you will get a big "crunch",specially if you load to 2.80 OAL. Find someone with Hornady's newest loading manual. They MAX out their 178 loads at 2500

I load hornady 168 brhp with 3031 for one of my .308s. 22” Krieger 4 groove.
Good speed. No issues.
Shoots very well, SD like 6.

Good buddy ran the same shooting service rifle with his M1A.
Said 3031 was the only powder he could get to group how he needed in that rifle.

Just crunch the varget a tad or get mags with no binder plates.

Reactions: simonp