• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308 Winchester load data using small rifle primers

I always do that anyway but is there any profound pressure bounce or curve difference ? Not a competition shooter or loader, just a hunter so I'm ignorant about differences with the 2 primer differences, just being careful

Going to SRP isn't going to have a large effect on the load unless you are shooting in very cold weather and more likely with some of the older ball/spherical powders. Changes in case volume will likely have a greater effect.
Thank you for your response !!

I recommend small rifle magnum primers, military primers (i.e. CCI 41), or primers will a long flame lime Remington 7-1/2 for the SRP .308 brass. These primers usually have more primer compound and help ignite (more flame) the larger case capacity of the .308 case volume.

recommend you sell the SRP brass to a buddy. For hunting, I would stick to LRPs. There are a lot of reported issues with the small primers in very cold weather. I’m not negative on the small primers—I use them for f-class comps—but for hunting, I want the assurance that there will be a bang in any weather. I guess if you hunt in temps always above freezing you will be ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: straightshooter1