• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 308AI cases

Re: 308AI cases

Suddenly i want a .308 AI. How is the performance increase?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Suddenly i want a .308 AI. How is the performance increase?</div></div>

I was thinking the same thing....

We built these on a whim. We came across a 308AI reamer with a .3355 neck and throated long. I like Ackleys and had to try this. With no other information about it we bought it, measured it up and it was tempting. So I chambered two rifles with it and we just started playing with it this summer. I just moved so that has slowed me up a bit but I'll get out a try some more loads later this summer once settled. I haven't acctually measured volume yet. There is a little gain but an Ackleyed 308 won't get you very much more volume. The benefits in this reamer is in the longer throat and tighter neck. Before I bought it, I measured up some various brass. This neck comes out perfect for Winchester brass with no neck turning. A couple Rem brass pieces fit but varied too much to be used. Federal brass necks were way too thick. Win brass was just right for a tight neck with no turnig. .002-.003" fit. So far, I am able to shoot 208 AMAXs at around 2625fps safely with R17. Have gone to 2675 for a string but quit there. I moly coat all my bullets so I don't know if they'll do that safely naked. We ran a bunch of 155 AMAXs through the Green Rifle at 3025fps with TAC powder and it shot great with absolutley no pressure signs yet. I think 168gr bullets on up will work better with this long throat. There's a huge bullet jump if you want to seat bullets deep enough to get one bullet diameter depth in seating. Ona goofy side note; I was form firing the brass for the green rifle with som older 170gr flat point bullets at around 2600fps and they were grouping just under 1/2" at 100yds. Yeah thats right, flat point 30-30 bullets! The rifles both shot in the 4" group size at 600yds and one group had 3 of the 5 shots forming a 1/2" cloverleaf. So I think theres some potental there. Time will tell.

Your tempting me
smile.gif
i've always liked the 40 degree shoulder of the ackley cartridges. IMO every bit gained on the .308 is good. Whether it's a 1% increase or 10% it's still good. 2625-2675 for 208gr Amax sounds great, if you get your hands on some Alliant MR 2000 i would also be interested in seeing those results. A friend of mind has had weird groups with his .243AI. His fire form loads are producing near 1/4 MOA groups at 100yds, yet his actual AI loads aren't yielding the same results it's kinda weird. I'm going to try this for sure those keep use posted on load data and all.

I'm getting 2675 fps shooting moly'd 208s (AMax) in the regular factory Rem 308 chamber/throat, 26" 1/12 twist varmint bbl. It's typical loose Rem chamber. Fireformed Win brass holds 58.0gr water. I'm loading to 3.00" OAL, but to kiss lands requires 3.06" OAL, so still a small jump.

I'm loading 49.0gr RL17. 50.0gr pushed velocity to 2725 fps, but there was just a hint of bolt resistance, and slight but detectable smear on the case head. I developed the load in cool weather, so I decided to hold at 49.0gr in consideration of summer temps.

With the long bullets, every bit of volume gain helps. Between seating long, and gaining a bit more volume by AI'ing, It seems like a good way to make room for enough RL17 to get to the good speeds.

I have a lb of RL17 for my 260AI. I am holding off on using it because I've been told it's been inconsistent. I take it that that's not the case?

Or shoot 300 win mag and make that 208 hit em hard@ 1k with the big boy.pictures look good though.diamond plate was a nice touch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: animalmother85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a lb of RL17 for my 260AI. I am holding off on using it because I've been told it's been inconsistent. I take it that that's not the case? </div></div>

I don't want to derail this thread, but I've found RL17 very consistent in heavy bullet 308 loads, when pressure is up near the top end.

Deep down inside I have been questioning R17s consistency. I have this gut feeling it may be a bit temperature sensitive. I was shooting 243AI in some 600yd benchrest comp last year and on four targets I couldn't get my last shot off before a wind change and had to let the round heat up in a hot chamber for abit while figuring. Each of those targets had one high flyer. Great group but for the flyer(one of the groups had four in 1.21". Arrgh!). Its got me wondering. Each of those hot rounds could have had enough velocity to shot high at that range. Still good for shootin steel but maybe not for groups.

I haven't made any quantitative analysis of RL17 and temp swings.

Here are some chrono results I had, while laddering up with RL17, 220gr SMK, in a 20.5" 308,

220gr Sierra Matchking, moly’d
2.82” OAL
Win brass
Reloder 17
46gr – 2368, 2401 (30’ from muzzle)
47gr – 2402, 2448
48gr – 2484, 2463
49gr – 2535, 2532

Another string I recorded with 208s over 50gr RL17, starting with a cold clean bore, 20.5" bbl,

The load I'm currently using for my 308AI is:
208gr Amax 48.0gr R17, 3.015" oal it runs around 3625fps in my 1:10twist 25.75" Shilen barrel. I went up to 50.0 grains but only gained 50fps and I didn't think 25fps/gr powder was worth it. When going from 47.0 to 48.0 I gained 80fps so I figured I was about there with 48.0. Powder has a very light compression on it with the load dumped through a regular funnel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Randfal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The load I'm currently using for my 308AI is:
208gr Amax 48.0gr R17, 3.015" oal it runs around <span style="font-weight: bold">3625fps</span> in my 1:10twist 25.75" Shilen barrel. I went up to 50.0 grains but only gained 50fps and I didn't think 25fps/gr powder was worth it. When going from 47.0 to 48.0 I gained 80fps so I figured I was about there with 48.0. Powder has a very light compression on it with the load dumped through a regular funnel. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">3625fps?</span>

3625!! whoops! Take a thousand off that. Them fat fingers anyway...