• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos 308chrosshairs new rifle

Re: 308chrosshairs new rifle

That set up was used in Vietnam right? I read a book that talked about the soldiers deciding between(and I could be wrong on this) an M70 3006, or the later on M700 .308win. They also had either this Unertl, or another scope which I've forgotten the name of right now(Redfield maybe)

Is this correct or do I remember incorrectly?

That's a good looking rifle. I hope to get around to finishing mine one of these days.

in early 'nam they used a pre-64 win in 30-06 and a unertl 10x using LC 173gr match; after that they used a rem 700 308 with a redfield 3-9 scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texgal338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in early 'nam they used a pre-64 win in 30-06 and a unertl 10x using LC 173gr match; after that they used a rem 700 308 with a redfield 3-9 scope </div></div>

They used an Unertl 1-1/4" 8x

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texgal338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in early 'nam they used a pre-64 win in 30-06 and a unertl 10x using LC 173gr match; after that they used a rem 700 308 with a redfield 3-9 scope </div></div>

They used an Unertl 1-1/4" 8x </div></div>

They used both.

Both the Remington 700 in .308, the win70 in 3006, AND both the unertl, and the Redfield.

I read several books on nam and they agreed on this.

Nice.

I'm looking for the correct stock to get my build underway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice.

I'm looking for the correct stock to get my build underway. </div></div>

All you have to have to do is look on ebay for the stocks. I have seen plenty of them on there. I have picked up a couple myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LSUbeatUby40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: texgal338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">in early 'nam they used a pre-64 win in 30-06 and a unertl 10x using LC 173gr match; after that they used a rem 700 308 with a redfield 3-9 scope </div></div>

They used an Unertl 1-1/4" 8x </div></div>

They used both.

Both the Remington 700 in .308, the win70 in 3006, AND both the unertl, and the Redfield.

I read several books on nam and they agreed on this.
</div></div>

I was saying the unertl they used was an 8x.. I am pretty sure they never used a 10x.. I wasn't refering to the redfield at all. Sorry about that. I should have been more clear..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice.

I'm looking for the correct stock to get my build underway. </div></div>

All you have to have to do is look on ebay for the stocks. I have seen plenty of them on there. I have picked up a couple myself. </div></div>

I guess timing is everything. I have not had any luck looking for a pre-64 long action stock that was of the correct style. One I did find was cracked.

Thanks guys for all the nice compliments. This rifle project took about two years to put all together. Shot the weapon with
Federal premium 165 gr BTSP to break in the barrel. The barrel
broke in only about after six rds. It shot 1/2 inch group right from the GTG. I plan to hand load and workup a load 175 SMK's. I
came across some vintage 1967 LC 173 GR match ammo that I
will shoot a few rounds just for grins, that should be very
interesting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks guys for all the nice compliments. This rifle project took about two years to put all together. Shot the weapon with
Federal premium 165 gr BTSP to break in the barrel. The barrel
broke in only about after six rds. It shot 1/2 inch group right from the GTG. I plan to hand load and workup a load 175 SMK's. I
came across some vintage 1967 LC 173 GR match ammo that I
will shoot a few rounds just for grins, that should be very
interesting.

</div></div>

Who built it? I have a 1949 M70 in .30-06, with an Unertl 1.5" 14x that I need to send to TBA to have him spec build it.. I plan on doing handloads for it also, but was thinking more of 190 SMK's... Try to really reach out with the Sum-beach....

One of the shops here has a circa 40's to 60's Springfield 03 with a Unertl 10x like that on it. The guy is wondering what it's worth so he can sell it without getting screwed.
I think the rifle is a NRA spec'd Springfield Army Conversion rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike Lau (TBA) built it. I also thought about trying 190 SMK"s. </div></div>

How long did it take Mike to turn it around once you had everything? I'm considering sending him my pre-64, pre-war action, but finding a stock for the pre-war has been tough.

BTW, the link for the repoduction stocks looks good. Cost is not much more for some of the originals in good shape out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308crosshairs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike Lau (TBA) built it. I also thought about trying 190 SMK"s. </div></div>

How long did it take Mike to turn it around once you had everything? I'm considering sending him my pre-64, pre-war action, but finding a stock for the pre-war has been tough.

BTW, the link for the repoduction stocks looks good. Cost is not much more for some of the originals in good shape out there. </div></div>

Mike told me that as long as you get the scope he can find the rest of the stuff.. It takes longer, but he can get it.. I have the rifle and scope, so if it needs a new stock then that is something he can find, but generally it takes mIke about 9-15 months for a build.. Even with everything included..