• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .308win ammo for Elk

Suzuki

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Arizona
Well looking for a good ammo choice for a Rem 700 LTR .308win Normally do archery and drew a rifle tag this year so will be taking her out of the safe.

Re: .308win ammo for Elk

If you handload,150-165 bonded core or Barnes X whichever shoots best.Or a 165-180 traditional bullet.

If factory ammo,quality projectile with good accuracy.The light magnum stuff is good if your rifle likes it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">150 TSX or TTSX at about 2900fps will do just fine.</div></div>

+1

165 TSX in Federal Premium ammo. TTSXs are designed to open a bit faster than TSXs and are more suitable for deer and antelope. The 165 will penetrate and kill ever if all you get is a Texas heart shot.
185 TSX from 338 Federal that broke both shoulders of a mature cow elk and went a long way into the bank behind her. Fell over dead.
DSCN2014.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">165 TSX in Federal Premium ammo. TTSXs are designed to open a bit faster than TSXs and are more suitable for deer and antelope. The 165 will penetrate and kill ever <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">if all you get is a Texas heart shot.</span></span>
185 TSX from 338 Federal that broke both shoulders of a mature cow elk and went a long way into the bank behind her. Fell over dead.
DSCN2014.jpg

</div></div>

Ok, so what is a "Texas heart shot"?

In through the out door, through the mud, to the vitals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MLC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In through the out door, through the mud, to the vitals. </div></div>

LMAO!!! Going through the south side of a north bound train!
The bonded or TSX bullets will do well. My choice- MRX, TTSX, or TSX will hammer 'em.

Well,being you're spent a lot of time bow hunting,I assume that you don't hand load. Get yourself a factory made box of Black Hills Gold Rifle Ammo.They have it in the .308 168 TSX Barnes,168 gr. A-Max Hornday,180 gr. NaB Nosler,last time I check they were $30.00 -$40.00 a box. Of course you got your Winchester Supreme ammoyour Remington Core-Lokt and Federal Premium Vital-Shok,all off the shevle.

Yes I've spent alot of time bowhunting. Most of the elk during archery are 100 yds or less. And when I take out my friends during the rifle season always under 200 yds. I wish someone close to me could load me some rnds to try out. I've been shooting 168grn LC Match which has been good for paper.

You could get a kinetic puller and a Lee hand die seater and make some "Mexican Match" hunting ammo with your Lake City ammo using 168 TSX's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">185 TSX from 338 Federal that broke both shoulders of a mature cow elk and went a long way into the bank behind her. Fell over dead.</div></div>

errrr dipshit.. 338 does not = .308

Elk are not hard to kill if placement is right.
Nosler AB 150-180 gr
SMK 155-190 gr
Berger 168's
TSX 150, 165, 180 yadda yadda

all will suit your needs. Test all. Pick the most accurate one.

Last fall me and a buddy each shot cows with my .308, one at 520 meters and the other at 525 meters. I loaded up some 165 Nosler Accubonds with 46 grains of Varget, OAL @ 2.816. That load chronographed at 2840 FPS and shot really well. Both those elk were one shot kills. The Nosler works great on any big game animal that I have tied into.

another manufacture to consider would be berger's, the vld -hunting bullets work very well if they shoot accurately out of your rifle.

Poor Weda, I guess he doesn't get that a 185 gr TSX bullet at 2700 fps in 338 caliber is not a whole lot different than a 165 TSX in 308 at the same velocity. This from a guy who thinks using SMKs to wound Elk at 1200 yards is ethical hunting!

Bergers will not penetrate like a TSX and that kind of accuracy is just not necessary when shooting a big animal within an ethical range envelope. Any rifle that will do 3 MOA will kill any Elk IF the shooter is a HUNTER rather than someone who has watched too many "hunting" or "best sniper" DVDs.

I killed my 2008 Elk at 18 paces with an 1807 61 caliber British Military flintlock. Elk are not rocket scientists or bullet proof... any good bowhunter using traditional equipment will tell you that.

A subscription to African Hunter is a good investment in real world big game hunting. Many PHs REQUIRE that their hunters use Barnes TSXs and Solids for game that is hard to kill and, in some cases, fight back. There is one PH who wear a necklace made of expanded Xs & TSXs in .411 & .416 taken from dead Buffs. Almost all look like a Barnes ad and, needless to say, the Buffs are very dead.

The lead ban is coming and Barnes has it beat. You might notice that Nosler & Hornady are making almost exact copies........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You might notice that Nosler & Hornady are making almost exact copies........
</div></div>

I guess a pure copper bullet (TSX) and a guilding metal bullet (Nosler E-Tip) is almost exact. That is like saying a bonded bullet is almost exactly the same as a non-bonded bullet. They are almost exact copies because they are monolithic bullets- thats the only almost exact copies way they are similar.

I just dont know why a monolithic bullet is needed in the velocity window granted by the .308. Any 150-180g bullet that shoots well will kill an elk at the yardages (<200y) the poster is asking about. That is the beauty of hunting with the .308, monolithics arent needed due to its velocity parameters.

Try shooting one up the ass with a lead core. It won't get past the paunch. A TSX will end up, up in the neck If it even stays in the Elk.
You have taken how many Elk?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try shooting one up the ass with a lead core. It won't get past the paunch. A TSX will end up, up in the neck If it even stays in the Elk.</div></div>

Just curious, why you would take that shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffbird</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try shooting one up the ass with a lead core. It won't get past the paunch. A TSX will end up, up in the neck If it even stays in the Elk.</div></div>

Just curious, why you would take that shot? </div></div>

LOL........THat's funny.

Um this is shaping up to be a peach of a thread. Nothing like talking .308 and Elk hunting..... it brings out the best in folks.

EHG and MM ought to be along shortly.

wave'

Here's a novel idea. Instead of just sharing your fears, sucking on the teat of knowledge and experience here, and taking advantage of the PX section, why not initiate a thread where you actually share something you actually did that involved load development, range results, equipment or ammo component review, or shooting-based results relevant to the theme of this forum.

In other words, make yourself a relevant member of the forum.

So am I supposed to believe that long range shots with match bullets are not ethical and shooting an elk up the ass is?

mr. h is full of all sorts of contradictions and ideological conclusions of supreme guesses.

OP,

Any of the aforementioned bullets will work and work fine. Try any of them and then lean towards the one your rifle likes the best.

Once hit don't expect the Elk to crumble. Even though he might be dead on the hoof.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wave'

Here's a novel idea. Instead of just sharing your fears, sucking on the teat of knowledge and experience here, and taking advantage of the PX section, why not initiate a thread where you actually share something you actually did that involved load development, range results, equipment or ammo component review, or shooting-based results relevant to the theme of this forum.

In other words, make yourself a relevant member of the forum. </div></div>

Lighten up ....Francis, it was a joke. Relevance according to you?

When I speak of big game hunting this side of Brown Bear and especially Elk, I know what I am speaking of. I have hunted them several different ways , in different states using different methods.

Though while we're at it take your elitest mentality you can shove it up your a$$. It would be a treat to tell you that to your face when I am in Montana this fall.

In other words, step off.

One of these days Im going to get me one of them 308's and go elk hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waveone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
jeffbird said:
Mr. Humble said:
Um this is shaping up to be a peach of a thread. Nothing like talking .308 and Elk hunting..... it brings out the best in folks.

EHG and MM ought to be along shortly. </div></div>

as long as it has a case the size of a 300WM or larger, I like 308

I"m guessing long range accuracy is not at question here so you could go with a 180gr bullet or...

165gr SGK with 45 gr of Varget behind it - maybe 46 - I get better accuracy with the 165 SGK than I do with a SMK....great bullet too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waveone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

When I speak of big game hunting this side of Brown Bear and especially Elk, I know what I am speaking of. I have hunted them several different ways , in different states using different methods.

Though while we're at it take your elitest mentality you can shove it up your a$$. It would be a treat to tell you that to your face when I am in Montana this fall.

In other words, step off. </div></div>

I've seen nothing from you of ANY relevance. You don't contribute a fucking thing besides smarmy commentary.

Elk, BFD, I practically have to kick them out of my way around here.

Face to face? Let's see, either you want to date me, or kick my ass. Which is it?

Nonsense. You are just a big bore fanatic.....

What I find curious if not patently humorous are the individuals who will swear by the .308 as an "all around" effective round in terms of efficiency. It is not. Especially when applying it in improvised situations hunting the tough, adrenaline filled hide of a big game animal.

Adequacy is not the argument nor has it ever have been on this irritating topic that raises it's head every so often. Shot placement like terminal ballistics when considered <span style="font-weight: bold">independent of one another</span>, aren't the end all be all many would make them to be. Especially when it comes to putting down an ELk or other big game animals.

I will put my 300wm using 71.5 grains of RL 22, utilizing a 180gr corbon projectile at longer distances(641yrds) up against a .308 (504yrds) using @41gr of varget utilizing the Barnes TSX at shorter distances any day. THis is a real world scenario wherein one elk went down, the other ran off. Most likely falling to predation.

For 7mm fans, I also shoot the 7mmRUM and use the 160grain Corbon. It does the job efficiently. THat's the key. Primarily because ethics should always be at the fore in hunting. We have too many idiot detractors to not hold to the highest standard.

THe animal deserves to be piled up as swiftly as possible.THerefore training to proficiency using the best, most efficient equipment is the order in my mind.

Hunting season, the temperament of the animal at the time and the situation are also relevant factors. THat's as I see it.

Um, MM there is your practical relevancy. You lecturing me about big game hunting would be like me lecturing you on guarding the embassy. So once more, take your arrogant presumption and shove it up your a$$.

In this area you are not much more than an eFing poser.

THank you for your service. Now piss off

EDIT: I'm not of that persuasion, so take a guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waveone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

In other words, step off. </div></div>

I've seen nothing from you of ANY relevance. You don't contribute a fucking thing besides smarmy commentary.

Elk, BFD, I practically have to kick them out of my way around here.

Face to face? Let's see, either you want to date me, or kick my ass. Which is it?

</div></div>

Smarmy commentary? Only pricks use the word ......."smarmy". Which incidentally get exactly what they deserve. Take you for instance. You act like an arrogant prick so you get the "smarmy"(??)commentary.

Last I checked I have the right to express my point of view in any way I see fit. If it were that incendiary or subversive I would have been kicked of the site by now.

If you wish to address me any further take it PM's because I'm through wasting my time with you on this topic. You clearly have little more than a fucking clue on this matter.

You invited me to this dance.....

I'm not posing as a hunter. I haven't hunted big game in many years. I just happen to live in a pathetic microcosm that is crawling with deer, elk, and antelope.

Why not regale us with you tales and pics of your wap' exploits then. At least that would be a worthy contribution.

I'm with you on the .300WM. I shoot 73.0 grains of RL-22 and a 190 grain SPBT Hornday bullet. In the real world,I've seen it time and time after again. KKKOOOOSSSMMMMAAAAACCCCKKKKKK,the the big sound when it impacts with an elk!. People that shoot a lesser calbier says," Gee, I'm gonna get me a .300 WM!". Until you shoot one,I doubt if one will understand. Of course I'm sure the bigger calibers will do the same. All I'm saying is that if you have a chance ,shoot a .300 WM. Could change your life!

Wave: Not trying to get into this brawl or cause you to aim your crosshairs at me but before you threaten to kick someones ass, you might want to find out about who you are smarting off to. Just a little wise advice. The first time I saw picks on Montana Marine, he was holding his 30-06 precision / hunting rifle and his size made his 30-06 look like a Daisy pellet rifle. 2nd note.. Montana Marine has always been helpful and offering good advice when others have asked, he has never snapped on anybody. In my book he has earned his respect......Just a thought.....Have a nice day...SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harold Dale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well,I quess there is a time a coming when all lead will be ban. No worry ,bet every bullet manucfacter will come up with his version of the "clone" Barnes bullet.Then we will all be in the same boat and no excuses! </div></div>

Lets see we have Barnes, Nosler and Hornady with copper bullets. That leaves Sierra and Speer and who else?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wave: Not trying to get into this brawl or cause you to aim your crosshairs at me but before you threaten to kick someones ass, you might want to find out about who you are smarting off to. Just a little wise advice. The first time I saw picks on Montana Marine, he was holding his 30-06 precision / hunting rifle and his size made his 30-06 look like a Daisy pellet rifle. 2nd note.. Montana Marine has always been helpful and offering good advice when others have asked, he has never snapped on anybody. In my book he has earned his respect......Just a thought.....Have a nice day...SmokeRolls </div></div>

Smoke,

No cross hairs aimed and no offense. I offered to speak to him FTF and repeat my comments. THat stands whatever the outcome. I could give a wit less about whether or not he is a big fella. THat's a matter of complete indifference to me especially when this arrogant prick condescends to refer to me in the fashion he does. That would be an ass whippin' I'm just going to have to take. So forgive me if I'm not quakin'.

Pictures- If I can find some to post,MM you can make copies and shove them up your a$$ too.

No need to repeat anything to me FTF. I scored 16 on the Nelson Denny reading comprehension test....twice.

I want to know if you are giving me a veiled threat of violence, or you just have a man-crush and long to be near me????

Why would I take a Texas heart shot? Question is obviously written by someone who has never hunted deer or elk in thick places. BUT just for grins. here's the setting. You're on a sneak through the black timber shadowing a 7X7 you saw at first light heading into his bedding area. You jump him out of a deadfall and he's heading straight away. Up comes your Merkel SR 9.3x62 stoked with 250 gr TSXs and carrying a 1.2-4 Trijicon with the big amber post. You have three shots quick available and #1 goes in under the asshole, through 30 pounds of full paunch, takes out all the heart plumbing and exits through the neck. He makes two more bounds and piles up. That's why... I like to eat Elk not talk about the 500 yard shots or the ones "I seen through my Swaro spotting scope"

Also did it many times on Whitetail with an 1100 12 bore and deer slugs when I lived back east.

Dead is dead, it really doesn't matter how the bullet gets into the heart & lungs.

The Merkel in question:

Satellite.jpg

Harold,

I am not a fan of SPBT for the simple reason that technology has advanced to offer better, more efficient options. Namely polymers, they rock.

THe Corbon and Amax loads are fair components to apply proper shock value and increased accuracy. This was somewhat of a chance discovery by me while sighting in two dfferent rifles at the range one day.

After I shot in my 7mmRUM using the 160gr corbons, I decided to shoot up some 160grain SPBT ammo just for comparison. THen I repeated the process in my .300wm. THe results at 100 and 200 yrds were noteworthy. After keyholing POI shots with the polymer rounds, the SPBT fluctuated considerably. It occured to me that the soft lead and slight inconsistency in the tip rendered a fluctutation in the trajectory.If there was that type of POI differential at very nominal distances then the issue would become exascerbated out West. Whereas the uniformity and tighter grain structure in polymers render a devastating blow on impact to the objective.

That's the shock value you want. It will blow a hole in the critter and break bone in the process if needs be. THat way they pile up right smart if you do your job.

No extreme difficulty tracking, chasing and fretting about the welfare of your game because the blood trail is like that of a good broadhead. Job well done.

Try them , you'll like them.

Incidentally, the distances I shot at are not always typical. I bow hunt so getting close is always the name of the game, bow or gun. Just not always achievable. It is advisable to take a very "makeable", ethical shot and respect your game.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need to repeat anything to me FTF. I scored 16 on the Nelson Denny reading comprehension test....twice.

I want to know if you are giving me a veiled threat of violence, or you just have a man-crush and long to be near me????

</div></div>

A "man crush" may be your idea of fun, but it's not my bag dude.

I don't "veil" anything and say exactly what I mean. Like you said, you scored well on the reading and comprehension test so you figure it out.

Sounds to me like you prefer "sweet talk" and I gave you my views on that.

If my position and comments haven't been crystal clear to this point then you aren't as smart as you think.

We're done here.

I guess so.

You don't want to kick my ass, or go on a date.

Your blather is simply blather, as usual.

Here's a clue, if you don't like this sort of stupid shit, don't invite me.

I reckon I should be flattered that you even think of me, but I'm not.

Harold,

While I might approve somewhat of your choice for bullets, I will say in the same breath your choice of shot placement isn't worth a flat damn.

In fact, aside from the shock of your acceptance and apparent common place for this unethical shot, I'm appalled. Ethics in this sport is just as important as abiding the law. Furthermore I don't know of any Texan worth his salt that would take that kind of shot let alone be accepting of it.

Of all people I am the least that would blast someone about many choices they make. However, this is wrong and potentially cruel on a number of fronts.

I would urge you to reconsider your position on this- if you're serious.

Typical.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. THe only time I thought of you was when I considered how stupid this thread might get.

Here's one for you: THe only time this got stupid is when you condescended to lecture me out of your presumption and idiotic attempt to feign a clue about what you think you knew.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would I take a Texas heart shot? Question is obviously written by someone who has never hunted deer or elk in thick places. </div></div>
Really? What is the habitat like where I hunt?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why would I take a Texas heart shot? Question is obviously written by someone who has never hunted deer or elk in thick places. BUT just for grins. here's the setting. You're on a sneak through the black timber shadowing a 7X7 you saw at first light heading into his bedding area. You jump him out of a deadfall and he's heading straight away. Up comes your Merkel SR 9.3x62 stoked with 250 gr TSXs and carrying a 1.2-4 Trijicon with the big amber post. You have three shots quick available and #1 goes in under the asshole, through 30 pounds of full paunch, takes out all the heart plumbing and exits through the neck. He makes two more bounds and piles up. That's why... I like to eat Elk not talk about the 500 yard shots or the ones "I seen through my Swaro spotting scope"

Also did it many times on Whitetail with an 1100 12 bore and deer slugs when I lived back east.

Dead is dead, it really doesn't matter how the bullet gets into the heart & lungs.</div></div>

Actually, you are the ONLY person I have EVER heard proudly proclaim that they intentionally shoot animals in the ass. Seems to be a less than optimal shot placement to deliver an immediately incapacitating shot, and it spreads shit and bacteria all through the wound cavity.

A shot through the neck to the spine, or even a broadside shot behind the shoulder into the heart, lungs or spine, will avoid filling the meat full of shit. If you like to eat shit, well, you have unique taste preferences. Me, I eat deer meat almost every single day of the year, but I prefer to have mine without additives.

Also, in the scenario you outlined, did you take any time to observe the animal and consider whether it is a mature animal, or he just had a big rack? Is that a factor for consideration? If you stomp through his bedding area will he come back to that bedding area? Is that important to consider?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: waveone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Harold,

While I might approve somewhat of your choice for bullets, I will say in the same breath your choice of shot placement isn't worth a flat damn.

In fact, aside from the shock of your acceptance and apparent common place for this unethical shot, I'm appalled. Ethics in this sport is just as important as abiding the law. Furthermore I don't know of any Texan worth his salt that would take that kind of shot let alone be accepting of it.

Of all people I am the least that would blast someone about many choices they make. However, this is wrong and potentially cruel on a number of fronts.</div></div>

+1

I have never intentionally shot an animal in the ass and never will. You always hear about the great shots but not many tell about the ones they shoot up and never find. They deserve better