• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.308win or 7.62x51mm for AR10

• Thread starter Deleted member 137765
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137765

If you are stockpiling cases of ammo for human battle, which would you choose and why? I know the common thought is MORE IS BETTER so I suspect the 308 to come out on top but perhaps there's a cycling advantage or other reason(s) why the 7.62 is a better choice for urban warfare. Target(s) may be wearing plate carriers. In a SHTF scenario...which would you run through your AR10?

Attachments

• .308AMMOCHART.jpg
    .308AMMOCHART.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 125
i can mostly only get .308 match ammo, while m80 is much cheaper.
comes down to required accuracy. for me, 1.6 moa m80 ball is sufficient for most target practice under 600 yards.

i can mostly only get .308 match ammo, while m80 is much cheaper.
comes down to required accuracy. for me, 1.6 moa m80 ball is sufficient for most target practice under 600 yards.
Price is a consideration given the volume of the purchase but performance is key in a life or death situation sooo....
I practice to 800 yards with .308win.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over 100 views and only one response? C'mon you military guys, weigh in. I know you've bought bulk ammo. 😉

Price is a consideration given the volume of the purchase but performance is key in a life or death situation sooo....
I practice to 800 yards with .308win.
i don't expect 1.6moa from light m80 ball beyond 600.
again, because i just haven't run across a lot of 7.62x51mm match grade ammo, i can't judge it personally.
some members say they got better results from 7.62x51mm FGMM than .308 FGMM in their .mil rifles, but i cannot find it to compare.
i have shot aguila .308 and 7.62 and they were exactly the same in results.

I use Federal Gold Medal Sierra MatchKing 175 grain in both 7.625x51 (GM762M2) and .308 Win (GM308M2) and have seen no difference. Per Federals data, the external ballistics are identical and by my experience this is true.

I do use some XM80 just to shoot at less expense and agree with others regarding accuracy.

I do wonder about the data in your attachment regarding pressure. On 5.56 vs .223 the pressures are different but from what I have read that is because they are tested at different points of the cartridge because of MIL-SPEC requirements but they are close to equal. I wonder if the same holds true on this cartridge. I tend to think so but haven't researched that. There are also differences in the 5.56 vs .223 cartridge dimensions just like the 7.62 vs .308. SAAMI has that data.

As a side note, I contacted Federal a couple years ago inquiring about difference between American Eagle and Lake City cartridges. I asked the following questions in red and their responses are in blue.

What are the differences between the Lake City and the American Eagle cartridges?
Ballistically identical with exception of nuances on individual components. American Eagle is loaded by Federal.

If there are differences in the external ballistics, would you please provide that data?
No difference.

No concern in what it is.
If I'm wanting to be accurate I'm likely shooting my own. Or I'm buying a known quality round and just be happy with its performance and learn its ballistics.

My stash of Winchester white box 147 fmj and my stash of m80 ball is not in my pile of accurate ammo for a reason.

To answer your initial question more directly, "If you are stockpiling cases of ammo for human battle, which would you choose and why?" The 7.62 vs .308 is not a factor for me, the weight is more important coupled with the bullet design/BC/accuracy. I find that the XM80 / 149 gr is good to about 400 yards. I can still hit something. Beyond that I will use 168 grain or 175 grain for accuracy. You say you are practicing at 800 yards. Again, I don't believe chamber size is going to matter as much as the grains, bullet design and BC. These will be important at that range. I am speaking in general terms with having used a limited number of different brands and weights of cartridges. Other more experienced people know more than I.

....it will depend really on the chamber of the platform you will be shooting it out of... .308Win can handle both, some 7.62x51 can only handle "7.62x51", especially older MILSURP rifles due operating pressures. Most commercially available barrels are chambered in .308Win, for both bolt action and AR10's. In your stated scenario of "urban warfare", the typical engagement distance will be within 1-200M, easily accomplished by .308WIN and 7.62x51, but also many other "common" calibers. Plate carriers cover the critical central core, but there are many areas outside of the plate area that will still stop a threat, or severely hinder it's advance. With the current "shortage" of ammo availability, buying "cases" to stockpile will be very costly at current (and rising pricing). Reloading is a good contingency option. Relying on a single caliber is creating a single point of failure. If you forsee yourself in an "urban" environment should the SHTF, you might want to read up on what some of the Bosnia survivors wrote about surviving in that kind of environment.

Reactions: DustBun
I have more ammo than I can load in my truck but recently added a couple more ARs to the safe and wanna increase my AR ammo coffers accordingly. That's all.

If you are stockpiling cases of ammo for human battle, which would you choose and why? I know the common thought is MORE IS BETTER so I suspect the 308 to come out on top but perhaps there's a cycling advantage or other reason(s) why the 7.62 is a better choice for urban warfare. Target(s) may be wearing plate carriers. In a SHTF scenario...which would you run through your AR10?
If I'm buying it for long term storage then I'll usually buy NATO 7.62 marked rounds being the primers and bullets have sealer on them. Same as why I buy bulk 5.56 and not 223 rounds.
As for if shit hits the fan? Well that's why I have a thousand rounds of 308 api. Level 3+ plate ain't stopping that.

Basically all modern ar10s will fire both types (308/7.62) just like most ar15s are marked for 5.56 but 223 it's also fine to run though them.

As for if shit hits the fan? Well that's why I have a thousand rounds of 308 api. Level 3+ plate ain't stopping that.

I probably have a thousand rounds of M80 in the cab of my truck.
M118 was on sale for two years at Target Sports @ $0.55 a round.
Then there's those nice 30 round cans of canned heat that they were practically giving away.
I have those everywhere