• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

308win trim length question

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
I trimmed a bunch of lapua 308win once fired brass. And going through case gauging and measuring case lengths. I am throwing everything that’s 2.007-.008 into the use bin, stuff linger in one shorter in another. My question is, how much of a difference does .001-.002 in length make on 308 accuracy and velocity wise? I’m at best average shooter. And just do it for fun.

This is a string from this brass when it was new for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_3873.png
    IMG_3873.png
    383.4 KB · Views: 35
A 308 case neck is about .260" long so even .010" variation is only about 4% of that length. Even .002" is less than 1% if the neck length, insignificant in my opinion.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
Not going to adversely effect your accuracy or velocity unless you are in a strict benchrest or LR discipline. I've had several .308s in my life that shot very well with worse brass than Lapua, and trimmed to 2.005 +/- .003.

You can probably let it grow longer to 2.015. Check the longest case against the end of the chamber using a bore scope or the Sinclair chamber length tool. The book suggests trimming cases really short which leads to carbon rings.

IIRC the default end of the neck area extends as far as 2.045", so you could - in theory - let the necks go almost indefinitely, depending how much growth you're seeing per firing.

That said, I've shot a pretty fair amount of 308 over the years, and I've never seen anything even close to a carbon ring forming. Not saying that it can't happen, but if I had to pick a caliber where I'd be worried about that... the 308 Win would be pretty damn low on that list.

The chamber dimension breech face to end of case/neck is 2.025".

The print I have for the 2013 US FTR team reamer - which was derived from the 1995 US Palma reamer - shows 2.045".

Maybe they stretched it out from the SAAMI version?

Last edited: