• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30ARX -- 30 Major -- 30 PPC anyone?

alpine44

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2010
North Carolina
I have a good supply of .30 bullets, 7.62x39 IMI cases, and large rifle primers. To take some pressure of my small primer stash and other bullet diameters, I was thinking to spin up a barrel chambered for a straightened 7.62x39 case that will feed reliably in the AR15 platform.

Does anyone have experience with one of these cartridges? What's the Good, Bad, And Ugly?

My experiences with the following have been VERY positive. I shoot out to 558 yards regularly with this combo of gun and hand loaded ammo.

Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 upper receiver assembly
ACS brand mags

IMI Cases
Nosler Varmageddon 123 gr.
27.0gr AA1680
CCI LR primers

This load produces stellar accuracy out to the distance quoted above. Most accurate round I have found to-date for the AR15 in the caliber.

My experiences with the following have been VERY positive. I shoot out to 558 yards regularly with this combo of gun and hand loaded ammo.

Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 upper receiver assembly
ACS brand mags

IMI Cases
Nosler Varmageddon 123 gr.
27.0gr AA1680
CCI LR primers

This load produces stellar accuracy out to the distance quoted above. Most accurate round I have found to-date for the AR15 in the caliber.
Thanks for the info. I have a good stockpile of all the components mentioned.

Advantage of the original 7.62x39 cartridge would be that it could also feed an SKS, AK47, CZ Bren 2. How is the reliability in the AR15? There are plenty of complaints out there with 7.62x39 in an AR15 but who knows whether user incompetence prevented a fix.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I have a good stockpile of all the components mentioned.

Advantage of the original 7.62x39 cartridge would be that it could also feed an SKS, AK47, CZ Bre2. How is the reliability in the AR15? There are plenty of complaints out there with 7.62x39 in an AR15 but who knows whether user incompetence prevented a fix.
Reliability IMHO comes down to the magazine and feed ramp implementation for this caliber. No complaints here with this combo. I've had cycling problems with my VZ 2008 (US made Century Arms CZ 58 ) using under-powered, shit ammo from Yugoslavia, but none in the Windham. You may want to consider an extended firing pin and a super hard extractor upgrade but that's all you may need.