• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 30BA on 5.56

DamnYuppie

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Idaho
Should I not be able to use my 30BA on a 5.56? I would just have to pick up the appropriate adapter correct?

I know a 5.56 can would be best but that will take time and money and in the interim could use the bigger can, thoughts?

Works like a charm on my SR-15 E3.... 100% reliable so far. Makes for a sweet coyote set up (back up gun to my bolt action).

It will be fine ad Zak said. Just don't go mag dumping and keep your rate of fire reasonable and it will serve you well.

Just curious why fire rate is an issue here? The can is question is titanium, how does it differ from a 556 can made from ti?

Unfortunately I don't have enough 5.56 ammo to go doing any mag dumps anytime soon, but I will keep that in mind.

Is there an accuracy improvement to be had of running a regular 5.56 can over using this bastardization approach?

Unfortunately I don't have enough 5.56 ammo to go doing any mag dumps anytime soon, but I will keep that in mind.

Is there an accuracy improvement to be had of running a regular 5.56 can over using this bastardization approach?

A .30 cal can on a .223 performs great. The only real advantage of a .223 can that I can see is a .223 can is a hair lighter and a few inches shorter than a .30 cal can. Other than that I see know real difference. Suppression levels with a .30 cal can on smaller calibers is pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Is there any way to use a 338ba on a 223 AR?

Obviously the size of the can will make the AR unwieldly and its definitely not gonna be as effective as a 223 can, but for the 'shits and giggles' side of things, is it possible and will it still reduce noise effectively?

Last edited:
As a general rule you can use an overbore can on anything smaller than what it was designed for originally....like using a .30cal can on .223 etc.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. I know you can put larger cans on smaller calibers, however I just thought at one pint the size difference is so large that effectiveness deteriorates.

What's the thread size of the 338ba (what goes over the brake), imguessing I would need a few adapters....

when i ordered my 30ba from Steve I ordered an extra brake for 5.56. He told me it will work just to keep the temperature under control

been doing this lately and shooting a 16" 5.56 with my 30BA on it. i havent been mag dumping but the thing gets hot. im going to have to buy an IR thermometer and see what it takes to get it up to 700 degrees. ill see if i can do a side by side shooting video with data and some rates of fire with the 30BA and then another AR with a 5.56 can on it from another manufacturer.

The 30BA sounds awesome on the 5.56 and even though its longer and heavier than a dedicated 5.56, i think it balances nicely and looks kinda cool too! ha!

I have a friend that shoots a 30P-1 on a heavy barreled 16" 223 (ar) and to my ear its more quiet than several other 223 designated cans. I'm sure the internal volume makes up for the over bore. Another note is that he said it is less picky about what it cycles reliably.