• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30br in an AR platform

jsthntn247

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2009
Mississippi
What would I need to build one in a lightweight AR? Uses a 473 bolt face, good lapua brass readily available, one of the most accurate cartridges on earth, can push a 125 gr bullet to 2850 with 20gr less powder than a 308. This would be for hunting inside 300 yards and for kids to use. Thinking of a 16" barrel at most.

You would need the old AR15 Preformance superbolt and extension and then someone to spin a barrel up for you. I have one of their 6.5BR barrels and bolts from way back (barrels were by Krieger). The main problem is magazines, the BR cartridge doesn’t feed well out of anything I’ve tried. The pre waffle pattern 6.8 mags from PRI are supposed to be the best. I’ve used the waffle pattern and they only give you a few rounds of capability without problems.

Have you looked at the 30ARX? It might be a better fit as it uses Grendel mags and brass (not to mention bolts):

http://6mmar.com/30_ARX.php

At that point why not just step up to the WSSM from Dtech? You get reliable feeding, more capacity, and more performance.