• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 30cal bullet comparisons

mitchellchandler_au

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2008
Hi all,
Just wondering if the BC's for the lapua 155 (.505) and the 167 (.470) are correct and also which would you guys reccomend for out to 1000 yards.

Thanks,

Re: 30cal bullet comparisons

The published BCs are pretty close, and the 155 gets a lot more usage by shooters than the 167.

I personally prefer the heavier bullets with the higher G7 BC's over the lighter bullets like the Scenar. You don't have to push a heavy bullet quite as hard to get enough velocity to get 1000yards supersonic like you do the 155's. You only need a touch over 2150fps (at my elevation and conditions) to get to 1000yards while supersonic with a 208amax, and 2400fps is easy to get with just about any powder and any rifle barrel length. With that being the case you can pick the best accuracy node in the available velocity spectrum to use for your 1000 yard shooting, whereas with the 155's you have a much narrower option of velocities to chose from.

Branden

The reason why I ask is because the price of the 175 SMK has hit the $60-$70 a hundred mark lately in aus and I was looking for a bullet with similar ballistics and wind drift to the 175 for shooting out to 1000 yards on steel plates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mitchellc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reason why I ask is because the price of the 175 SMK has hit the $60-$70 a hundred mark lately in aus and I was looking for a bullet with similar ballistics and wind drift to the 175 for shooting out to 1000 yards on steel plates. </div></div>

Look at the 178 Amax, they're 25% cheaper here in the states and easier to find as well. They're very close for ballistics and they're a very good quality bullet.

Thanks for the replys guys,

I just finished with some testing with the 167 scenar @2830fps. I put the data into JBM and compared it to my 175 HPBT load @2600fps and it seems the 167 will be about 6moa better @1000 yards and about 0.6MOA better with 10mph cross wind @ 1000 yards.

Has anyone tried the 167's and what is your honest opinion of them.