• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors .30cal supressor question

tundramuscle03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2007
Baltimore County, MD
Hey guys

I want to supress my .30-06 that was just built for me...you guys have an recommendations as far as who to go with or any Pros & Cons?

Thanks guys.....oh, I was looking at the AWC Thundertrap if that will help any.

Re: .30cal supressor question

A buddy of mine is a dealer and i get to play with AWC stuff all the time.I like thier .30 cal can it seems to do very well.

I have a Thundertrap in .308 and it is a great piece of kit. A lot of folks bitch that they are not as "tacticool" as some other makes. Hey, it does what it's supposed to do!

Moe

I love my SWR Omega.
From 100 yards away all you hear is the sonic crack of the bullet.
It works great on my 223AI too.

I have an AAC Cyclone...very quiet and the price is right.

PM Mike Mers at AAC. He is on the hide (1_ar_newbie).
Also AAC customer service is excellent...On par with US Optics.

What can one spend for supressor? Ive been interested installing one myself but from what I understand you have to get a tax stamp. I guess a better question is what is the total cost for someone interested in a supressor?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bdh308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can one spend for supressor? Ive been interested installing one myself but from what I understand you have to get a tax stamp. I guess a better question is what is the total cost for someone interested in a supressor? </div></div>
============================================

In my search I have found there are <span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">LOT</span></span></span></span></span> of variables: you need to list those variable's then put them in order of importance to you!!! THEN begin a model search! Other wise the amount of information will drive you too a mental overload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Shark and couldn't be more pleased.</div></div>

+1 on shark, i got the tigershark witch will be better for a 30-06. its 10.5" long

I have a AAC Cyclone that works great and a SAS that works equally great but cost less...

Total cost is the suppressor + $200 for the stamp.
That is if you can get the chief LEO to sign off on it.

Other route is the guntrust lawyer.

It will be 6-7 hundred to set up the trust. Then you just pay the $200 tax for every suppressor.

I have done it both ways. I say go with the trust.

Sooner or later you will want another silencer.

You do not need a lawyer to draw up a trust. Send me a PM and I'll send you a format to use. Just put your own name in the spaces and have it notorized. Take a copy to the Class 3 guy who will handle the supressor transaction and he sends it off with the paperwork to the AFT. No need for a sheriff to approve.

The one Thundertrap I've seen in teh field was quite impressive. Even with supersonic ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdMP3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys had or have experience with YHM's Stainless Phantom suppressor? </div></div>

Yes, I have 4. They are awesome for the money! you wouldnt be dissapointed with it at all.

Is it possible to use a .30 cal can on a .22 cal rifle. I understand it wouldn't be as efficient and all, but would it even work to a point where it would be worth putting it on? I guess I'm just a cheap ass and can't afford a can for both my .308 and my AR so I would have to go with one or the other.

WASP, this question comes up from time to time and I'm sure you'll get a bunch of back and forth on it.

I don't own a factory built can, everything I've used and have are all Form 1's.

That being said, if you're using standard velo 22's (they stay SS from the muzzle) then you won't see any functional difference.

I've shot them from a can that was designed to supress up to a 50-140 and even with those big open baffles it is incredibly quiet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EdMP3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any of you guys had or have experience with YHM's Stainless Phantom suppressor? </div></div>

Yep.. A buddy has one and I pick mine up tomorrow.
smile.gif

My only 30 cal can is a Gemtech HVT-QD. I'm very impressed with the product and with subsonic ammo is very quiet. The QD allows it to be installed in the exact same position for repeatable poi shift.

Gemtech staff advised that the can will provide good suppression on a 5.56 also. I have the QD on an AR 15 but haven't tried it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TORKAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My only 30 cal can is a Gemtech HVT-QD. I'm very impressed with the product and with subsonic ammo is very quiet. The QD allows it to be installed in the exact same position for repeatable poi shift.

Gemtech staff advised that the can will provide good suppression on a 5.56 also. I have the QD on an AR 15 but haven't tried it yet.</div></div>

Gemtech make quality suppressors... I have a older 223 and 22 can of theirs... Good bunch of guys despite what others may say about them.

Gemtech make quality suppressors... I have a older 223 and 22 can of theirs... Good bunch of guys despite what others may say about them.

+1

I have a TPRS and a Halo.
To my ear, the TPRS is quieter than my Shark but the Shark is SO much lighter and comes apart.
Also, to my ear the YHM 5.56 QD is quieter than the Halo and is also FA rated.
On my Semi auto and bolt .223's the Halo does its job well.

YMMV

My point is, decide what features are important to you and go from there.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Shark and couldn't be more pleased. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Is it possible to use a .30 cal can on a .22 cal rifle.</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">I understand it wouldn't be as efficient and all</span>, ***

<span style="font-weight: bold">I guess I'm just a cheap ass and can't afford a can for both my .308 and my AR so I would have to go with one or the other.</span> </div></div>

Yes, ... not necessarily true, ... and don't apologize for trying to avoid the outrageous cost of Class 3 Suppressor-Fun - especially when the "<span style="font-weight: bold">one-can-for multiple-sticks</span>" route is workable <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> the 'smith who's setting them up knows what he's doing.

<span style="font-weight: bold">OPS 3rd model, typically a dedicated .30cal can for bolt guns. Mine runs on two .308s and one 30.06.</span>
PR1-6.jpg

Haven't ruled out a 300 mag down the road ..., but I'm currently having fun with this sick set-up:

<span style="font-weight: bold">5.56mm LMT MRP running an OPS 3rd can on its 16.1" barrel ..</span>
SOS-2.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yeah, it works fine ...</span>
SOS-5.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">MRP tube was profiled, threaded, re-crowned and collared to accept OPS 3rd.</span>
SOS-4.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Sick sh*t, I know ...
shocked.gif
crazy.gif
... but I'm loving it.
wink.gif
</span>
SOS-6.jpg

cool.gif

Put a few magazines through my AR15 with Gemtech HVT today. Quite pleased with it's performance as it sounded like a paintball gun (according to the neighbor, I don't shoot paintballs). Little bugger got hot though.

Just my .02.

There is no need for a can as long as the Ops3rd above for either the .223 or .308. The "longer-is-better" remains a mystery as a good .223/.308/.338 design will not need that much volume/capacity, especially with the scavenger effects of a gas operated system on some rifles. The design is the old reflective design. I'm sure its as quiet as many but the design has been around for over a decade and they have real problems. On very large calibers and very large platforms (EDM/Cheytac) where the barrel is already very long and the whole rifle is already over 30 pounds, some will use it as a "length saver."

1. Gas flow back into the rear of the can creates the perfect environment for pitting and is much harder to clean.
2. The heat on barrel is excessive.
3. The heat on can is excessive.
4. For high volume fire, accruracy will suffer and barrel life is shortened tremendously. Years ago, the number one can sent back for repair/replacement at AWC were reflective designs. Police Departments still send in other's folks reflective cans. AWC designed reflective back in the late 80's and abandoned it quickly when cans started coming back after only a few thousand rounds. It is the reason why you do not see integral .308s or .223s. Its that simple.
5. Profiling of rear support surfaces can be a pita limiter.

I use a Thundertrap too and it is excellent, use what you will, but I strongly recommend you choose other than reflective. AWC's quietest .30 can, the "enhanced" version of the standard Thundertrap, adds only 1.5" and is really for those that just have to have something "more" than spec. The can is very quiet already.

.22 use in larger centerfire caliber cans...whatever the actual suppression results, know that .22's are filthy little beasts, made somewhat better by NEVER using subsonic .22's (filthiest of all by far, if your .22 can can't a hyper velocity .22 to well below pellet gun sound levels you have larger problems) and try to purchase flash copper plated .22 bullets as well.

P.S. Trusts - BATFE ruling recently that all Quickbook Trusts are to be reviewed. If your going the Trust route, get a <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold"> firearms </span></span></span>lawyer to at LEAST read any Trust that is devised. There is more, alot more required to it, especially for some states (some states you can't even do it.) Yes, BATF will paper your Title 2s knowing they are held in flawed Trusts. Be smart, pay a couple of bills and get it right.