• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 30carbine and .223 bolt head

gszeto99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Illinois, USA
Can a .223 bolt head be used to shoot and extract a .30 carbine round? What I want to do is chamber a 308 barrel for an .30 carbine round and use the .223 bolt for the round. I know the specifications are not exactly the same but here they are anyways:

.360" on the rim .310 in the recess for the extractor for the .30 carbine

.378" on the rim .332 in the recess for the extractor for the .223

I got this from the Lyman reloading manual.

Or do I need a totally new bolt setup? Maybe something from a .22 hornet bolt that can be opened up. If I use the .22 hornet my concern would be the bolt being strong enough for the M1carbine cartridge.

Thanks in advance

Gene

Re: 30carbine and .223 bolt head

Chances are pretty good that would work. I would not use it for a duty weapon or anything more than range work really. Maybe hunting something that can't come back and hurt you.

I have not done it, but I have seen/done similar ideas, including running the 7.62x39 from a standard 473 head on a Mauser.

The reason I want to do this is because of my local range has centerfire silhouette rules that state I can only use a straight walled centerfire cartridge. The .30carbine seems to fit the bill since I can use a 308 lead bullet with minimal amounts of powder (helps save on the powder). Others may want to chime in as to the accuracy of such a setup and do you guys think the .30carbine has enough ummf to knock down a ram at 300m? Also if the .30carbine was used what is the optimal barrel length and twist?

Thank you

Gene

Thank you

Gene

Since you are planning to shoot lead bullets, consider a heavier than the standard carbine bullet for the rams. The carbine uses a 110 grain bullet. The Lyman 311291 with Unique, 5744 or 296 ought to get them down. Probably need a 1-10 twist at the velocities you'd get from the carbine case to stabilize the bullet. And you can custom throat the barrel to allow the bullet to be mostly outside the case. Probably a 1 degree throat would be good for accuracy too.

How would that compare to a whisper as far as powder capacity?