• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 30mm Scope Mount for AR15 Carbine

CaptNemo

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2009
    Southern Alabama
    I have an M-4gery that I had an Eotech on and decided to upgrade to a low power variable scope.
    I bought a Burris MTAC 1-4X24 but the glass is not very good and it looks like it has a booger next to the reticle. It came with a PEPER Mount, so it was ready to install and bore sight.
    One of the guys at work may buy it from me or I may send it back and get my money back or I may put it on my oldest daughter's pencil barreled carbine that needs an optic...

So this morning, I called @gr8fuldoug at NY Camera land and I have a 1-4X24 Athlon Argos coming for the M-4gery, but now I need a mount.
    I'll review the new scope when it gets here, but have had very good luck with both Doug and Neil and have been please with the Athlon Scopes I've purchased.

I don't need a Bobro or a Spuhr for a sub $300.00 scope on a ranch type rifle.
    What else is out there in a reasonably priced cantilever type AR mount ?

I have a Burris PEPR Mount on an AR-10 in 7mm-08 and the SWFA scope in it has never lost zero. Not the fanciest mount but I think they’re like $75

Attachments

• 34FB7F09-5DE2-4E5D-BFED-99B13923C983.jpeg
      34FB7F09-5DE2-4E5D-BFED-99B13923C983.jpeg
      418.1 KB · Views: 125
    Last edited:
    Aero mounts are the lightest on the market and very reasonably priced, as long as you aren't planning on an especially rough life for the carbine. They clamp the scope with two tiny "lips" of cast aluminum, probably about 1mm in thickness, and if they were to sustain an impact right at the top of the scope rings, they stand a reasonable chance of breaking (whereas a Geissele, Larue, Warne, etc would probably outlast the scope itself by a 10-to-1 margin). That said, there are tens of thousands of these mounts in circulation and problems are rarely reported. The other caveat is that you must use a torque wrench to install them. Those tiny lips are easy to snap right off if you overtorque the rings, and 12 inch-pounds is not very hard to exceed. You could easily break them with a little allen key.

Other mounts to look at in the "middle of the road" tier are Warne, Vortex has a rebranded mount they offer, and the Larue C.A.N. mount is also very attractively priced at $140.

Reactions: ColoradoShooter
    The Aero mount has vertically split rings.
    I have an old LaRue mount that has vertically split rings that has been a solid performer so far,
    but because of @Lowlight, I would be hard pressed to purchase anything other than horizontally split rings.
    Brownells has a 10% off + free shipping code right now and the JP works out to less than $ 165.00 to the door.

Reactions: demolitionman
    I have an American Defense Manufacturing AD RECON-30 one piece mount for sale on here. I went to 34 mm scope so no need for it. 125$ shipped if your interested. Thanks Keith
    I have other pics as well if interested

LaRue LT204 C.A.N mount w/QD levers. Awesome deal for the price and there’s no way I’m ever using a PEPR Mount again.

ADM Delta. Best budget mount on the market. All the solid features from ADM, but NOT vertically split rings. Very solid, wont break the bank. I use Sphur, Geiselle, etc, but for the price, the ADM Delta is great.

A few weeks ago I saw Leupold Mark 4 IMS two piece mounts on clearance at Optics Planet or Midway. I bought two bases and two 30mm ring inserts to make two complete mounts for about $135 total.

I had a need but not pressing so it's upgrade time now and I am doing it cheap.

It looks like the bases are gone now. I'm not sure about the ring inserts but without a base I don't think they are good for anything.

If you can keep your eyes open, things like that will fall in your lap occasionally.

I try to stay away from budget mounts. They always look weak. I wonder about the alloy and I don't trust the ring threads. Cheapos probably need lapping too.

The Mark 4 IMS was a $200+ MSRP mount and I can see why, it's nicely machined and the rings have steel thread inserts. I trust them to have good aluminum and good anodizing.

I hope you find something good without breaking the bank. If you look at brands that sell mounts at different price points, see what you get in the high end and decide if you want those features. For example, the low end Leupold mounts look no better than the China stuff to me.

Rings and mounts are one of the most important things not to cheap out on. They are a long term investment that will be around long after your scope upgrade. Half the shit out there is chinesse junk or poorly designed domestic. Badger/NF for non qd mounts, ARC for rings and Bobro for qd is my rule. I may go to sphur for a specific application in the near future but that's my personal rule.

Doesn't matter if it's a $50 or $5000 scope the mount/rings are the last thing to penny pinch.

I'm sure you can find a way to come up with $200.

Reactions: VegasHKShooter

I currently use Spuhr for my AR mounts, but I never had any issues whatsoever with any of the QD ADM Cantilever mounts.
    Check out Midwest Industries as well.

I just put a vortex precision extended cantilever 30mm mount on my AR15 with a 6-24 PST Gen 1 I had laying around and really like it. The quality, finish, and fitment are top notch in my book.

^Made in China

ya know how I know its a piece of shit? I got one new in the box sitting in my junk parts bin.

I’m using Aero ultralights on all my scoped ARs at this point. They’re affordable, save weight (3.4oz, really) and plenty durable for everything I’m doing with them. Hundreds of barrel dumps in 3gun hasn’t shaken that one loose.

If I was putting a 30+Oz scope on the rifle or going to be HARD on it in a combat zone or something like that I’d have an ADM or LaRue.

Sorry to hear that you all are not fans of my purchases. All I can really say is that I am impressed with the mount, honestly being made in China is a surprise for me as I never looked at the country of origin, but assumed (you know what they say) that it was made by seekins like the precision matched rings. It certainly resembles the seekins mxm. As for the scope I know people tend to hate on the PST these days but I have had it for years and it has been on another rifle of mine that I took to 1000 yards on several occasions without issue. Never lost zero, never missed a target because of the scope, that is good enough for me. I dont beat on my rifles though so perhaps in a real field or intense competition setting it might let me down, but for my uses its been a great optic.

Reactions: AMGtuned
    3rd on the Aero mount. I have a Leupold VX-R 3-9 (also reasonably lightweight) in an Aero mount I've been beating on for 4 years now as my AR10 hunting rig. The aero has been awesome, especially if weight matters to you.

Sorry to hear that you all are not fans of my purchases. All I can really say is that I am impressed with the mount, honestly being made in China is a surprise for me as I never looked at the country of origin, but assumed (you know what they say) that it was made by seekins like the precision matched rings. It certainly resembles the seekins mxm.

Don't sweat it - go with what you're content with and what has proven to be reliable for you. He's never been very adept at subtlety, or with being able to accept that every opinion he vomits isn't fact. (Consider he's referred to Spuhr as "euro trash")

Your mount certainly looks to be the Seekins MXM rebranded with/for Vortex, as they do with the precision matched rings.

Vortex definitely offers China mounts, but the design/aesthetic differences (and price) are readily apparent.

Reactions: Billiam1211
    Don't sweat it - go with what you're content with and what has proven to be reliable for you. He's never been very adept at subtlety, or with being able to accept that every opinion he vomits isn't fact.

Your mount certainly looks to be the Seekins MXM rebranded with/for Vortex, as they do with the rings.

Vortex definitely offers China mounts, but the design/aesthetic differences (and price) are readily apparent.

I guess the point about spending $100 for chinese trash to mount a $1,000+ scope just doesn’t make sense.

Oh that point stands - but if surfing's mount is the Seekins MXM, which it *appears* to be, it's vastly different than the $130 China mount that Vortex also offers.

And again, even if it were some garbage mount, compared to whatever, if it has worked perfectly for him, then that's all he needs. I don't grasp why anyone has the need to blatantly shit all over someone else's gear, irrespective of their opinion.

Reactions: Billiam1211
    We all know a sample size of one in conjunction with an expert shooter who doesn't even know where their gear is made is going to be the deciding factor. I'm ready to go throw away all my proven gear to buy 15 of these now.

Primus it looks to me like you are trying to find something to be mad at here. I never claimed to be an expert but I do think that when someone posts a thread asking for recommendations on a product, and I happen to own a product that I am happy with, that I am well within my rights to throw up the recommendation of said product. Again I'm sorry if it doesnt tickle your fancy but luckily I have been on this rock long enough to not get too upset when others have an issue with my choices.

A few general comments:

Aero Precision mount is sort of a hit and miss. I have either four or five of them (I can double check if anyone cares), both 1" and 30mm versions. All are out of round as they are supposed to be, since the ring halves flex. All squeeze the scope tube in an assymetric way. They work OK with some scopes and not well at all with others. I have not tried your Athlon in one of them. SWFA SS scope seem to shrug them off just fine. This mount is inexpensive and light, but I generally do not recommend unless it is with a scope known for not being sensitive to out of round rings.

With the fancy stuff, my mount of choice is Aadmount. Not necessarily because other mounts are not good, but simply because I have been using these from day one with zero problems (and I have gone through a dozen or so of these).

With QD mounts, I am intrigued by the Scalarworks design, but have not had a chance to test one yet.

In the midpack, I kinda like the Seekins MXM mount and the Vortex above looks to be made for them by Seekins. I am not aware of them being made in China, but I have not looked into that carefully. I'll find out.

No experience with the Daniel Defence mount linked above.

ILya

For QD, I like the KDG Sidelok. It is very beefy in the ring, the QD locks up nice, it's easy to remove and there really isn't anything hanging out to snag on anything.

I have a couple Bobro mounts which are also very solid but I'm not as big a fan of the latch, the levers need quite a bit of force and they are spring loaded, it's just a bit of a pain in the ass to install or remove and doesn't feel nice doing so. The levers also protrude quite a bit. I haven't had one hang up yet but I expect it will happen eventually.

Primus it looks to me like you are trying to find something to be mad at here. I never claimed to be an expert but I do think that when someone posts a thread asking for recommendations on a product, and I happen to own a product that I am happy with, that I am well within my rights to throw up the recommendation of said product. Again I'm sorry if it doesnt tickle your fancy but luckily I have been on this rock long enough to not get too upset when others have an issue with my choices.
    No one is mad about anything. Just pointing out all opinions aren't equal. A novices review doesn't hold the same weight as someone who has eat breathed and lived this subject matter for years. Collectively, we have a pretty good idea what works and doesn't based on that history.

So when some random comes around saying they don't have an issue with a known shitty product, it's safe to assume they aren't heavy user and probably don't have the knowledge and skills to know better.

Say a parachute has a 50% chance from the factory of being good to go, or a lemon. You know someone who jumped the chute and lived to tell about it. Does that mean you should recommend that to others based on your extremely limited sample size? You going to take that chance with your own ass?

Now if you were detailed in your analisys with comparison against known quanitites, that may lend some weight to your statements.

When your shooting cheap guns with cheap ammo and junk optics/mounts do you even know what is considered good and acceptable? 10moa groups at dirt piles 25 yards away isint what most here would consider "good". Ignorance is truly bliss. How many here see fellow shooters with canted reticles, scopes that don't track or other things we all know are a problem? Just because the ignorant owner doesn't know better, doesn't mean they are right.

I’ve never had an issue using ADM’s on AR’s.
    And this is an example of the exact kind of statement the community does NOT need for any product review

Limited sample size with questionable reliability and compentency.

What would y'all consider good based on a confidence level? 50% ? 75? 95? 99.9?

I know when it's my money on a piece of equipment that if it fails could at the least ruin my shooting/hunting trip and at worst could cost me my life...I'm going to go with something proven. It's really that simple. Anyone who has been in this game long enough has a bin or box full of junk parts they tried over the years. As you learn, that box stops getting new shit added to it.

A wise consumer would try and learn from those who have already made those mistakes. People who post " I don't have a problem....." With zero context or details are just as bad as those who blindy recommend something they bought from the clearance bin at cheaper than dirt.

No one said adm was garbage but those type of statements are the problem. Logic and reason .. how does it work?

A few general comments:

Aero Precision mount is sort of a hit and miss. I have either four or five of them (I can double check if anyone cares), both 1" and 30mm versions. All are out of round as they are supposed to be, since the ring halves flex. All squeeze the scope tube in an assymetric way. They work OK with some scopes and not well at all with others.

Interesting, makes sense I guess. I’ve got an SWFA 10x, a Bushy LRHS, and a Steiner P4xi in them now, have enough precision work with the SWFA and LRHS to say confidently that they’re not affected but the Steiner is a zero-it-and-forget-it 3gun optic got me so I haven’t really tested it for changes in tracking and image qualities.

And this is an example of the exact kind of statement the community does NOT need for any product review

Limited sample size with questionable reliability and compentency.

What would y'all consider good based on a confidence level? 50% ? 75? 95? 99.9?

I know when it's my money on a piece of equipment that if it fails could at the least ruin my shooting/hunting trip and at worst could cost me my life...I'm going to go with something proven. It's really that simple. Anyone who has been in this game long enough has a bin or box full of junk parts they tried over the years. As you learn, that box stops getting new shit added to it.

A wise consumer would try and learn from those who have already made those mistakes. People who post " I don't have a problem....." With zero context or details are just as bad as those who blindy recommend something they bought from the clearance bin at cheaper than dirt.

At one time I had 11 AR’s and every one of them had a ADM mount and I never had an issue.
    I know of and shoot at least as many friends rifles with them and I’ve never heard a negative comment from them.

They’ve earned my trust.

Would I put them on my bolt actions?
    No.

Brownells has a good 30mm cantilever mount it is well made and rugged. I have used them without any issue and they are US made.
    When you drop your rifle with a $400 mount or $100 mount the result is usually the same.
    The scope gets trashed.

Geissele.

Recommended to me by an 18B instructor based on his use & JFKSWC extensive use/testing and an 18F/Z based on his use. Mounted 2 AMGs on top of a pair of Mega uppers and even though I don't put then thru anywhere near the abuse those folks do, I am impressed with RTZ when dismounting/remounting, alignment when I put the 30mm TGP bar in them to check for mounting flex and lack of zero wander or need to re-torque fasteners (without using Loctite) after several hundred rounds fired.

Last edited:
    I have an M-4gery that I had an Eotech on and decided to upgrade to a low power variable scope.
    I bought a Burris MTAC 1-4X24 but the glass is not very good and it looks like it has a booger next to the reticle. It came with a PEPER Mount, so it was ready to install and bore sight.
    One of the guys at work may buy it from me or I may send it back and get my money back or I may put it on my oldest daughter's pencil barreled carbine that needs an optic...

So this morning, I called @gr8fuldoug at NY Camera land and I have a 1-4X24 Athlon Argos coming for the M-4gery, but now I need a mount.
    I'll review the new scope when it gets here, but have had very good luck with both Doug and Neil and have been please with the Athlon Scopes I've purchased.

Badger...Got a used one for $140...kick ass simple and rugged

Reactions: Dewey7271
    No one is mad about anything. Just pointing out all opinions aren't equal. A novices review doesn't hold the same weight as someone who has eat breathed and lived this subject matter for years. Collectively, we have a pretty good idea what works and doesn't based on that history.

So when some random comes around saying they don't have an issue with a known shitty product, it's safe to assume they aren't heavy user and probably don't have the knowledge and skills to know better.

Say a parachute has a 50% chance from the factory of being good to go, or a lemon. You know someone who jumped the chute and lived to tell about it. Does that mean you should recommend that to others based on your extremely limited sample size? You going to take that chance with your own ass?

Now if you were detailed in your analisys with comparison against known quanitites, that may lend some weight to your statements.

When your shooting cheap guns with cheap ammo and junk optics/mounts do you even know what is considered good and acceptable? 10moa groups at dirt piles 25 yards away isint what most here would consider "good". Ignorance is truly bliss. How many here see fellow shooters with canted reticles, scopes that don't track or other things we all know are a problem? Just because the ignorant owner doesn't know better, doesn't mean they are right.

Alright Primus, a few things. You are right ignorance is bliss and you sir are the ignorant one. I think it's time you reevaluated your expert opinion a bit and learned a little bit of humility. Why? Because it occurred to me that I still had the box that the mount came in so I dug it out and what do you know it happens to say made in the USA on the front and inside the box as well. So my mount is not some piece of Chinese junk that you claim it to be. Additionally you assert that my rifle is a junk build. Well if you want to try and convince people that seekins receivers JP LMOS bolt carrier groups SLR rifleworks handguards and gas blocks Criterion barrels and magpul stock and grip are junk then you can fight that battle but I think most people would side with me on that being a solid platform. Also junk ammo sure FGMM 75grain is real shitty stuff. And 10 MOA at 25 yards well if you wanna think that but when I got behind it I shot .8 MOA at 100. Sure that's not record breaking but it certainly isn't bad either.

So for anyone looking to purchase the vortex precision extended cantilever mount rest assured that what Primus said is false. As they say the proof is in the pudding so eat up.

Attachments

• 20190502_205817.jpg
      20190502_205817.jpg
      369.9 KB · Views: 53
    Cool story bro. They also make essentially the same scope mount cm202 in China.
    99% if the vortex mounts you will see in retailers or for sale online is the chinesse mount. Virtually everyone running a cheap optic is not springing 180 for that when the 70 China one is right next to it.

That mount is most likely made by seekins who makes their precision rings.

Your failure to specify is not my problem.

Well, the two mounts look the same in a sense that most AR type mounts look the same: they have integrated rings, they clamp to a picatinny rail, etc. Aside from that, they are not really all that similar looking.

I checked with Vortex and the mounts and rings that are sold under the "Precision" and "Pro" names are made in the US.

The cheaper Sport mounts and Hunter rings are indeed made in China. I think they all look fairly distinct, so there isn't much chance of confusing the with each other.

ILya

Reactions: Yama Arashi
    NF Unimounts for my purposes. NF quality and leave room on rails for BUIS or brass recovery devices, as needed. Usually go straight to 20MOA, to give scopes all the elevation they’ll need at distance. Light and solid...and horizontally split.

Last edited:
    I think a novice can make a worthwhile review some times if they have actually used the product they are reviewing.

If it sucks, that is usually believable unless they are completely clueless about how it is used.

If it works for them, I give that some validity.

If they abuse it and it survives, I can be impressed.

If they abuse it and it breaks, I look in to it more.

If they badmouth something they have never even handled, easy to dismiss.

I've used mounts from RRA, CAA, Leupold, KDG and Bobro, with a few riser and rings setups and I've handled several Chinese mounts at gun shows.

One thing I can say for sure, there is a very tangible difference in quality between the Chinese mounts in the $60-80 range and a USA made mount in the $150+ range.

The original useable cheap mount is the Burris PEPR and when I pick one up, it just feels really cheap. There are clear signs that it started as an extrusion and only got the bare minimum of finish machining. Probably useable but not confidence inspiring.

A high dollar USA mount is usually quite a bit different. If they spent the time to execute the machining details, they probably didn't cheap out on the alloy.

The biggest thing is reputation, if you buy a $150+ USA made mount and something isn't right, usually the maker will fix it to protect their reputation and they usually have quality control that prevents problems from ever reaching the customer.

The other side of that is that some China mounts are fine.

For me I go USA when I have a pressing need and don't want to take much of a chance. When the need isn't pressing I wait until I find USA quality at a China price. If I'm ok with taking a chance, I try China stuff on occasion and most of the time it is fairly unremarkable.

For AR's I always use Larue products ,they have worked very well for me and have a good return to zero if removed.