• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 30mm scope on a .223???

trobertson5-0

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
Floyd.Va.
I have a .223 Remington LTR I am going to be setting up soon. I have the option of a 30mm tubed Leupold MK4 3.5x10x40 and a 1"Leupold variX3 "tactical" 3.5x10x40. I have suitable mounts for them both so there would be no extra cost involved to use either scope.

I plan on using the rifle for 500 yards and under,just plinking,practice,and teaching the kids to shoot a precision rifle.

Is there any benefit to having the 30mm versus the 1" on a rifle being used for these purposes? Thanks in advance for any input. TJR

Re: 30mm scope on a .223???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is there any benefit to having the 30mm versus the 1" on a rifle being used for these purposes? Thanks in advance for any input. TJR </div></div>

For your intended purposes, not really. Which ever you choose will be more than adequate.

1" scopes are so yesterday
grin.gif

Anything worthwhile comes in 30mm. For 500M why not? 3.5 - 10x40 is decent for training, practice and fun. It also forces the kids to be able to use the standard 10x40 at the farther range. Me, I would just go with a standard 30mm 10x40, 10x42, or 10x44. For smaller budget, the SWFA SS is good, Falcon Menace good, and for higher dollar, the USO ST-10 in it's basic form of 10x44 is great but $500 more than the less expensive offerings

1" scopes still work just fine. the upper rifle in this pic is a .223AI with a 2.5-8x Leupold (with M1 elevation knob). gets well past 500 meters easily. it keeps bulk and cost down.

100_1052Large.jpg

1" tube will be fine if you decide to go that way. The only benefits of a 30mm tube is it can allow more adjustment if the manufacture chooses to design it that way.

GC

MAX100 is very correct, so I wanted to see how Leupold designed their scope. Their website shows the Vari-X III with a 1 inch tube to have 58 MOA of adjustment range. Their Mark 4 3.5-10X40 has a 30mm tube and 65 MOA of adjustment range. The difference is small enough that I think the Mark 4 probably has a bigger internal erector assembly than the Vari-X III and that probably translates to bigger internal lenses, which is better optically, but there is no guarantee of that, only Leupold knows for sure.

If the cost of the scope is the same or the difference is immaterial to you, I would choose the Mark 4 as being optically better. In my opinion, the 7 MOA boost in adjustment range is not worth whatever the difference in price may be.

"the USO ST-10 in it's basic form of 10x44"

The USO ST-10 in its basic form has a fixed 37mm objective lens with a 30mm main tube. USO uses one internal lens size and places them in sleeves when using tube diameters larger than 30mm.

All the tacti-cool kids use 30mm or larger scope tubes these days on their TPS report cover pages. Didn't you get the memo?

AFAIK, a 30mm tubed scope allows two basic things over a 1" scope of like design ...

1. more adjustment range for both wind and elevation
2. allows room to accommodate an illuminated reticle

The other thing, is that a 30mm tube will be slightly stronger (more rigid) than a like designed 1" tube ...

The bottom line, is how much dope you need at the ranges you'll be shooting, and does the scope you choose (be it a 1" or 30mm tube) offer you enough adjustment to get there?

Don't forget as well, that a 20MOA base can do wonders for a 1" tubed scope ...

If talking about a standard Leupold 3.5-10x40 scope (either a Vari-X III or VX-III), you need to remember that it's got about 60 MOA of adjustment for elevation and windage ... even if you eat up 10MOA getting a 100 yard zero, you still have almost 20MOA left before you run out ... put a 20MOA base on there and you've got nearly 40MOA of adjustment ... that will get most cartridges out to 1K yards ...

so you don't NEED a 30mm tubed scope ... but you can have one if you like ... in the end, again, it's all about how much adjustment you need, and will your chosen scope get you there?

I guess I should have made clear I am not buying either of these scopes,I have them sitting in the safe,I was just wondering if the 30mm was better in any measurable way for my intended purposes. I ASSUMED the 1" would be fine but I wanted to bounce it off the great minds here to see if my logic was flawed. I am reading it wasn't. Thanks again, TJR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I should have made clear I am not buying either of these scopes,I have them sitting in the safe,I was just wondering if the 30mm was better in any measurable way for my intended purposes.
</div></div>

Either scope will do the job, your choice.

Some posted more info than asked for because others will be reading this post that are trying to decide on weather to purchase a 30mm or 1" tube scope.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the tacti-cool kids use 30mm or larger scope tubes these days on their TPS report cover pages. Didn't you get the memo? </div></div>

Crap, no I did not get the memo. I'm probably not on the distribution list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the tacti-cool kids use 30mm or larger scope tubes these days on their TPS report cover pages. Didn't you get the memo?</div></div>

How do I get on that mailing list? I need to know what I should buy next.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trobertson5-0</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I should have made clear I am not buying either of these scopes,I have them sitting in the safe,I was just wondering if the 30mm was better in any measurable way for my intended purposes. I ASSUMED the 1" would be fine but I wanted to bounce it off the great minds here to see if my logic was flawed. I am reading it wasn't. Thanks again, TJR </div></div>

The 1" tubed scope will be more than adequate for your intended purpose.