• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 30P-1 or 30BA for a match rifle ?

dvdt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2009
Dallas,TX
If you were picking a can for your match rifle, which would you choose ?

Trying to decide between these two for my match rifle. Originally I was going to go with the 30P-1 but I'm rethinking that and considering going with the 30BA.

The biggest reason for considering the 30BA is really the benefit of having a brake if the can is off. I can think of several scenarios or stages I've shot where dropping a can off and having a brake would be "nice" to have as an option. Most are moving around inside of a barricade of some sort (pipe, under a tree, through port holes). I can also think of times where maybe the can doesn't go with me to a match because of travel restrictions, etc.

Curious to hear what you guys are doing and why.

I'm shooting a 24" 6.5mm bolt gun if that matters.

I'm waiting for a 30BA, so I can't give any personal anecdotes. By all accounts, the 30BA is as accurate as the 30P, with the added versatility of being able to screw a brake on different platforms to facilitate suppression instead of being limited to only one thread or having to re-thread other rifles to match. That sold me...I'm running the brake for the next....6 months or so, and it works quite well.

I suppose the 30BA might be a bit heavier? I've not compared that...

I own and have shot both on my match rifles. I have aproximately 6 BA's in the safe and about 10 P-1's in the safe right now. I have also sold a lot of both of them. It is really up to what fits your needs best. The BA offers a lot of benefits such as having the brake on and just screwing the can over the brake. The P-1 can also be used with a clamp on style brake and just losen the alan screw and unscrew it and screw on the can. Thunder Beast makes top notch products. I will add a suggestion if you go with the BA get the thread protector for it. When you are shooting the brake alone you can potentially get a lot of carbon in the threads which can make the brake hard to screw on. Either way you will not be disappointed. POI shift is minimal and consistant every time with both. You will be happy with either one you decide on. Good luck with your decision and feel free to PM me if I can help answer any other questions.