• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.32 Rimfire: What Is This?

DownhillFromHere

Aim > Impact > Take a Nap
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2017
I don't remember where I picked this up; came across it doing a cabinet cleanout today. Case mouth is in .32 caliber range, shown next to a .223 case. Looking carefully, you may see that there may be a crimp at the case mouth - was there a card wad to hold in... whatever? While the image of the bases isn't focused well, you can see the firing pin indentation at 12 0'clock.

Some sort of blank cartridge to drive spike-size nails or somesuch? Monster starting pistol? Gotta get back to the cleanout chore; if no one knows, I'll try an image search this evening.
IMG_3411.jpeg IMG_3410.jpeg

I am far from 100% sure but maybe a 9mm Flobert case?

From the Wikipedia...

9mm Flobert​

9mm Flobert shot, 9mm Flobert shot, .22 Long Rifle shot, .22 Long Rifle, .22 Long Rifle shot, .22 CB Short, and 9 mm Flobert BB cap
In Europe, garden guns designed for the 9mm Flobert rimfire shotshell cartridge are common,[5] and face very little to no restriction, even in countries with strict gun laws.[citation needed] Its power and range are very limited, making it suitable only for pest control.[6] Fiocchi-made 9 mm Flobert rimfire ammunition uses a 1.75" brass shotshell firing 1/4 oz shot of No. 8 shot with a velocity of 600 fps.

Examples include the Chiappa Little Badger Shotgun[7][8][9]

Reactions: roostercogburn98
Maybe 32 Long Rimfire?
Agree with Rooster, that shoulder excludes the little .32's.

Last edited:
Maybe 32 Long Rimfire? The 32 long and short rimfire were used a lot in the small framed S&W pocket revolvers and some rolling block and falling block rifles around the turn of the century. View attachment 7856074

Looks like it is still popular enough that there are a coupe of companies making reloadable brass with a primer pocket meant to hold a Hilti blank. View attachment 7856075
This little shoulder is a giveaway. It’s not a 32 S&W of any kind
F90DCAF7-B395-4AA1-A17C-8E5978BF6084.jpeg

^^^ That looks about right. What is it?

About the Flobert rounds - If indeed 9mm (.355" nominal), my case is too little (.320 nominal).

Interesting.