• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

325WSM performance vs oldschool calibers

wbeard

Private
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Ohio
I'm looking for long range performance on the 325wsm. Anyone have first hand experience that ALSO has first hand experience with 300 win mag or .308?

Ballistically the 325wsm's 200gr Accubond begins outrunning the 300 win mag's 180gr accubond at around 550yds. but I'm looking for experience on long range accuracy.

Re: 325WSM performance vs oldschool calibers

The higher BC of the .308 180 will beat the lower BC of the .323 200 bullet at long range.

Interesting...I'm seeing .477BC for the 200gr 325WSM and .383 for the .308 giving the 325 over 20 inches less drop at 500 yds.

Not being a .308 guy, am I missing something?

i have a wincheater .325wsm that i have never shot and have for sale here at home. Read good things about them but i own a 338 for elk so i have no need for the 325 at this time. I have searched for long range stuff on this wsm but never find much.

i have no experience with those bullets, but if you reload your own then I would run the 208 a max in the 300 win mag. BC is around .64

Or you could go one step further with .30 cal 230 berger hybrid @ .743 bc.

The highest bc .323 diamter bullet I was able to find is the 200 smk @ .520.

300 win mag is highly versitile. You can find ammo in a pinch and it is a pleasure to reload for. It has far more support, as far as brass, bullets, reloading info. I tried some of the wsm stuff but did not find any advantage. If the 300 win mag won't kill it then neither will the 325.

If your looking for long range comparison, guys using the 300WM typically use bullet weights of 208+. Not much of a comparison when you look at the BC's of those bullets. 300WM's got my vote on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for long range performance on the 325wsm. Anyone have first hand experience that ALSO has first hand experience with 300 win mag or .308?

Ballistically the 325wsm's 200gr Accubond begins outrunning the 300 win mag's 180gr accubond at around 550yds. but I'm looking for experience on long range accuracy.

</div></div>

IMO 325WSM would be considered more of a short to medium range rifle for larger critters.

For long range hunting there are better choices. Look to 7mm,30 cal and 338 cal because of the better selection of high BC bullets. 550Y isn't too far away these days. A walk in the park with a accurate rifle and a good shooter. For elk,moose,grizzly I'd prefer a 338L or 338 Ultra.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for long range performance on the 325wsm. Anyone have first hand experience that ALSO has first hand experience with 300 win mag or .308?

</div></div>

IMO 325WSM would be considered more of a short to medium range rifle for larger critters.

For long range hunting there are better choices. Look to 7mm,30 cal and 338 cal because of the better selection of high BC bullets. 550Y isn't too far away these days. A walk in the park with a accurate rifle and a good shooter. For elk,moose,grizzly I'd prefer a 338L or 338 Ultra.

</div></div>

Do you have exp. with the 325wsm? what am I missing that makes you call it short/med range? Everything I find in a hunting round seems to give the long range edge to the 325 (not counting the 338)..."ON PAPER". Does it have stability issues or something I'm not seeing?

You know what that was my goof. I assumed that since the 200 Sierra .308 was .050 higher in BC than the Sierra .323 200 that the Ballistic tip would be similar.

You know what they say when you assume something. Ass out of you and me.

True long range 308 bullets start at 220. No one really makes very high BC long range .323 bullets. The .323 SMK isn't too bad, but there are way better calibers for long range.

6.5 and 338 are better long range calibers than .308 and 8mm.

And I am a huge fan of the 30-06, 300 Win, 308, 8x68s, and 8x57. I just don't normally use them for long range. I just ordered 2 new Lilja .323 blanks to build a pair of fun 8mms on. A 8x57 Mauser and a 8x68s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for long range performance on the 325wsm. Anyone have first hand experience that ALSO has first hand experience with 300 win mag or .308?

</div></div>

</div></div>

Do you have exp. with the 325wsm? what am I missing that makes you call it short/med range? Everything I find in a hunting round seems to give the long range edge to the 325 (not counting the 338)..."ON PAPER". Does it have stability issues or something I'm not seeing? </div></div>

I don't have experience with it.

Not stability issues. Look at the ballistic coefficients of the heavy .323 projectiles and the heavy .338 projectiles and you will begin to see how much higher the BC's are comparatively.

Don't get me wrong. It can be shot to 550Y just fine as well as many cartridges that aren't normally considered long range cartridges. Like 45-70 for instance. I think there are better choices is all.

A simple trip to the JBM ballistics site and an hour of your time will show you what you need to know. You can compare for yourself, then decide.

While you are at JBM look up the BC of Hornady's .323 195 grain Spire point and then their 285 grain .338 cal HPBT.

Also compare the heaviest bullets in 7mmWSM,300WSM and 325WSM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

True long range 308 bullets start at 220. </div></div>

What is it about the heavier bullet for long range shooting that makes it desireable over the faster lighter 180gr? is it just kinetic retention? or are heavier bullets more stable/accurate?

325 WSM wasn't intended to be a long-range round. Winchester wanted a Short Mag 338 and couldn't figure it out, so someone came up with this one.

Theoretically speaking, the 325 is just as capable of good long range performance as the 30 cal, the problem is that it's an odd-ball caliber, and no manufacturer is making true high BC bullets that are suitable for long range work.

There are few bullets available period...Berger doesn't even make an 8mm bullet, and for good reasons from their point if view, ie, there is no market for them, because no one shoots them. For better or worse, as far as sales go, the USA is a 30 cal country.

But it also depends what you mean by "long range" though...out to 600-800 yards the 325 AB and such loads will hold their own.

The 325 is a pretty decent hunting round, but it doesn't do anything that the 300 WSM won't do just as well and better at LR.

TC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muskox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

True long range 308 bullets start at 220. </div></div>

What is it about the heavier bullet for long range shooting that makes it desireable over the faster lighter 180gr? is it just kinetic retention? or are heavier bullets more stable/accurate? </div></div>

I only have a basic understanding of this stuff so in a nut shell...

If a guy were only going to be shooting out to 300 yards or so the 180 grainer would be fine. It's later on in the trajectory when it starts to become more susceptible to drag than a heavier bullet that makes it less ideal for long range.

Stability has to do with the proper twist rate for a specific range of bullet weights per caliber. Longer bullets need a faster twist rate optimized for their form factor.

A longer bullet will typically have a higher ballistic coefficient. Simply put, the higher BC bullet is less affected by drag forces compared to a lighter bullet thus retaining it's velocity better than a lighter bullet.

When you start using longer bullets, don't you have to seat them deaper as to fit in in the magazines?

Typically but it depends on the length of the case,magazine dimensions,throating,shape of bullet.

The sacrifice is usually velocity but the extra BC makes up for it most of the time.

In a nut shell at long range yes high BC bullets are less affected by well.... everything. The closer you are to a BC of 1.0 the better your wind resistance is.

If your killing elk at 1000 yards, single loading long C.O.L loads is fine. Not like they are insurgents fireing back.

Of course it depends how much of this zombie BS you want to get into.

You want to shoot out to 500 yards with conventional loads get a 308 and practice a lot.

You want to shoot out to 1500 yards get something that can push that envelope. Same as 2000, 2500 and so on.

I think the 6mm and 6.5s (Creedmoor, x47, 260) are great short action calibers excepting the 6.5x284. To me the bastard is a long action caliber.

I just can't see building a Short Magnum for the kinds of shooting I do. I am better off with a rifle that kicks less for shorter range, and better off with a bigger hammer at longer range. 6.5 or 338 that's the answer to me.

Find the right balance. Look at the 7mm cartridges and consider the 300WSM as well. What will your rifle be used for. Punching paper, comps, or hunting? Either way I would forget anything bigger that 30 cal for now. This would be my list.

1. 7mm WSM
2. 300 WSM
3. 284 Win
4. 300 WM
5. 7mm-08

I'd leave the 7mm with my 30-06. It's not the class I'm looking for.

So, the 1k world record is held by a 300 win mag, but again that's paper. Put a round in it that will give you good expansion at the predicted velocity and you drop to 180gr before you find anything and then you're well out of the sweet spot that enables the 300 to be the best in class (in fact look at the expansion on the hunting rounds at the predicted velocity of 1000 yds and it's both below the manufacturers recommended and just visually not desirable). Same X2 for the .308. That's why a lot of people (hunting) are going to the 338, because it will carry and expand at that range...but it's overkill.

the 325wsm fills that gap between a 338 and a 300.

+1 on the 300WSM. Every time I take an animal at 300+, it never ceases to amaze me what a flat shooter this is. However, I think its greatest benefit is its verssatility. This round is ideal for any game native in North America (varmits excluded, of course). 325 & 338 on whitetail may get you some extra distance, but unless you're really pushing the limits on practicle distance,it's going to be overkill.