• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

33 Nosler

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I posted about the 33 nos in the hunting forum but I haven't heard from anyone who's had one.
I'm looking to shoot the 265 ABLR and maybe the 252 MTAC.
Efficiency is important to me but I'd like to run a 265 around 2850 from a long throated 28" barrel.
Anyone have experience with this round?
I'll be elk hunting with it to 1100 Max, targets way beyond that.

I can't speak to the performance of the 33nosler from experience. I can tell you that 338 norma mag or 338norma improved is an excellent choice from personal experience.

Reactions: surgeon260
I can't speak to the performance of the 33nosler from experience. I can tell you that 338 norma mag or 338norma improved is an excellent choice from personal experience.
Yeah it looks like a good one with the right action.
I'm going to be sub 10 lbs scoped so not looking for the biggest case.
How's the recoil with the NM?

Jimmy Sloan designed the cartridge to run in a standard 700 LA. Of course it has the lapua bolt face so you would need to have it opened. Or just run an action set up for .585 cases. Recoil isnt bad with a good brake. I've seen up to 2950fps with a stiff load of retumbo and 300gr bergers out of the improved version I'm running with a 27" barrel. My rifle is 15lbs with optic and I have the big slabbed brake from piercision rifles so recoil is very minimal.

Personally I wouldnt consider the 33 nosler due to brass selection. With the norma you have Peterson and lapua brass. Both of which are substantially tougher than nosler brass.

Personally I wouldnt consider the 33 nosler due to brass selection. With the norma you have Peterson and lapua brass. Both of which are substantially tougher than nosler brass.
I hear you on the brass,
My thought was to form 30 nos ADG brass to 33 nos

well you could get some 30 nosler brass from Bertram brass, they do have them in stock. Run it through a die and open it up to 338. I think the 338 NM is also a good choice. I've got one that sits in the safe in a kmw stock and badger action that I don't shoot much any more. it's a great round, I shot the 300 bergers, but I like the 275 mth cutting edge better. a bit quicker. Id put a terminator break on what ever you decide to go with, it'll mitigate a pile of recoil.

deano

If you are going to stay with a standard Rem long action .532 bf,consider the 338 RUM also.

Yep I'm aware, just like the Rums they had to make the 33 the smallest case for some reason...

Yep I'm aware, just like the Rums they had to make the 33 the smallest case for some reason...
I was told by a Nosler rep they changed the headspacing to prevent customers from accidentally loading overbore ammo into a rifle. Probably the same reason you're like .120" off the lands loading into the magazine on their m48 rifles. Lawyers.

Reactions: camotoe
Thanks for the input guys.
I decided to just go with a 338 rum since I have a custom 4" action, and ADG brass is available.
I thought about the edge as well but I'm thinking the extra powder capacity isn't worth it..

I've got a .338 Edge which seems to work well enough. 2800-2900fps with a 300 Berger OTM seems to buck the wind pretty well. Recoil's not too bad with a brake (more ports are better...) on a 10lb rifle. You're probably right too that the SAAMI .338 RUM will handle anything in the western hemisphere. Animals won't know the difference.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
I thought I would resurrect this thread as it looks like Peterson is now making brass for the 33 Nosler. That may be a game changer.

I would love to see this cartridge take off. The 338 win mag is ideal for my hunting and I see the Nosler case as a modernized version. A few more grains of capacity and more room to seat the bullet out too.

I know I'm late to the party but I currently have a Howa that I put a 28" prefit 33 Nosler barrel on from Mcgowen ith a 9 twist in it and I'm getting 3077 fps with the 225 gr Nosler E-tips using H4831SC.

Reactions: akmtnrunner
I know I'm late to the party but I currently have a Howa that I put a 28" prefit 33 Nosler barrel on from Mcgowen ith a 9 twist in it and I'm getting 3077 fps with the 225 gr Nosler E-tips using H4831SC.
Haha yep
Late update..
I'm shooting a custom throated 30 Nos and loving it

Just received a barrel from Carbonsix in 33 Nosler. 22" bull barrel comes in at 2.98 lbs. Looks beautiful. I already have a Mesa Precision stock and I just need to find a donor tikka action. I've been looking for months now hoping Tikka's would come back into stock. At this rate, my 338 AB Raptor suppressor will be let out of jail by efile before I can find an action. Weird world we live in right now.

Just received a barrel from Carbonsix in 33 Nosler. 22" bull barrel comes in at 2.98 lbs. Looks beautiful. I already have a Mesa Precision stock and I just need to find a donor tikka action. I've been looking for months now hoping Tikka's would come back into stock. At this rate, my 338 AB Raptor suppressor will be let out of jail by efile before I can find an action. Weird world we live in right now.
Try JA Outdoors for Tikka actions, they seem to part rifles out and sell all the pieces individually.

Reactions: akmtnrunner
I'd find a used Howa long action Magnum because those have been pretty plentiful lately at the gun shows I've seen. The only thing about how is is they have a metric thread which most gunsmiths should be able to accommodate

Try JA Outdoors for Tikka actions, they seem to part rifles out and sell all the pieces individually.
Thanks for the tip, although they don't seem to have left handed long action magnum Tikka actions listed. I've sent a question to them.

I'd find a used Howa long action Magnum because those have been pretty plentiful lately at the gun shows I've seen. The only thing about how is is they have a metric thread which most gunsmiths should be able to accommodate
The barrel is already threaded for Tikka. Is Howa the same pattern?

Doubt it I think the Tikka is a standard 16 tpi like a Remington. Howa is a M26-1.5 which is close but not the same

I'm assuming you'll run it as a single shot being as the tikka action is limited to less than 3.4"
I'd like to hear about that AB suppressor, is it the reflexed mount?

Reactions: Taylorbok
I'm assuming you'll run it as a single shot being as the tikka action is limited to less than 3.4"
I'd like to hear about that AB suppressor, is it the reflexed mount?
I should clarify that this rifle isn't for ELR but for hunting. I apologize for piggybacking in this section but there's really no other discussion happening on the 33 Nosler elsewhere. The 3.4 maximum COAL should be plenty for my loads, but I do have a Red Snake bottom metal and AICS magazine set up ready to go if I want to get out to about 3.6.

The AB suppressor has two mounts. One flush mount and a reflexed one that I had the choice between 3" and 5". I went with the 3". I am pretty excited about it. If reports are true, it's about as good as the best 30 cal options and of similar size, but is available in 338 and also 375 caliber. For a moderate magnum like a 33 Nosler burning ~80-85 grains of powder, I think that will be plenty. I went with the 10 baffle length. Still much easier to pack around than the typical 338 cans.

Last edited: