• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338-06 What bullet works well for that setup?

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok - I'm going off the reservation for my hunting rifle and having my gunsmith build me a 338-06 rifle. I want a 33 caliber rifle and I have a 30-06 donor rifle in the safe so I'm going to have it rebarreled for the 338-06 with a 24-26" barrel.
Anyone else use this round/caliber and what have your experiences been with forming the brass by necking up -06 brass and whatever else you all can tell me about it. Also was told that 4831SC powder works well for it too.
Thanks.

Re: 338-06 What bullet works well for that setup?

Neck down Remington.35 Whelen cases if you can find them. Necking up thins the brass. Otherwise the Hornady tapered spindle works well. With the expansion ratio you have with that round, IMR 4320 (the forgotten powder) works the best. Just my experience. IMHO, 4831 is too slow. FNP

And to answer the heading, the Nosler 210 grain partition will penetrate the whole elk, side to side, at 500 yards. Done done it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Neck down Remington.35 Whelen cases if you can find them. Necking up thins the brass. Otherwise the Hornady tapered spindle works well. With the expansion ratio you have with that round, IMR 4320 (the forgotten powder) works the best. Just my experience. IMHO, 4831 is too slow. FNP </div></div>

I just finished my last can of 4320 about 2 months ago
smile.gif

FNP is right, 4831 is too slow for this chambering, stuff like H4320 through Varget will be good powders to work from.

Hodgdon lists data for 338-06 in their online reloading data center.

I went with the improved version, just because. Mines a 23" barrel and see no reason to go longer.

H-4350 day in and day gives me the best with 200/210 bullets.

I use 30-06 Lapua necked up and detailed.

I just finished up fireforming some more yesterday using H-4831 and 225's, but never tried any serious load work with it.

RL 17 works well, 4320, IMR 4350, 4064, RL15