• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338/408 snipetac loads

stenger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
western Pa
Anyone have a sugestions on a good load for this caliber?
Has anyone tried rocky Mountain Bullets?

Thanks

Re: 338/408 snipetac loads

I just spoke with George from Rky mtn bullets in MT 2 hrs ago. In his 375 snipe tac the 370 rky mtn bullets shoot awesome. It's ogive is actually less than that of the smk, consequently it's very forgiving on the seating depths. Talked to bobby lawton and he has a customer from NV that shoots the 370's and is getting .010 groups at it. Im sure this is not the norm, but it's what these are capable of.

George also said they have to do some tweaking to the 325 gr for the 338 snipe tac. Even now they are having some accuracy issues. He expects to see another revision to these bullets in two months. I wished they were shooting good now, the bc on this 325 gr for the 338 is a breath taking 1.06. And this bullet has an ogive similar to the 370gr. That means it will be easy to load for cause it should be forgiving on the seating depth.

HOWEVER...and this is a big HOWEVER,,,this 325 gr rky mtn will need to be shot in a 1---8.5 twist. At least that is what George from Rky mtn says. If you want to shoot these higher BC bullets, you're gonna need a tighter twist.

zman

i am looking at the 300 grain bullets cause i have a 1/10 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stenger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am looking at the 300 grain bullets cause i have a 1/10 twist. </div></div>

300 SMK bullets:
H-BMG powder 138gns
LR Mag primers
Seat to .010 from lands (starting point)
Est velocity 32" barrel 3295fps

This is an accuracy node that most of my customers report.
Bug hole groups at 100yds, .5 moa or less at 1000yds. I use
this load for testing all new builds.

WC872 powder works well also, start at 140 and work up.
US869 is a bit fast for heavier bullets unless using the 265gn HAT bullets.

Dave
(Designer of the Snipetac cartriges)