• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338/408

stenger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2009
western Pa
What do you all think about the abitity of this round once the new 338 bergers come out. they are claiming a bc of near or at .90 for their VLD. Could this level the playing field between the 338/408 and 375/408. I was talking with a 1000 yard benchrest world record holder and he said that the problem with the 338 is that they could never get a good bullet for it, but now that berger is purducing bullets it might change the whole game. I have heard people complain that the 375/408 is a great round but unless you shoot turned solids the jackets bullets are terrible, and we all know how solid turned bullets perform on game and are also unlawful to use. What your thoughts? Could the new bergers be close in performance, be legal to shoot at game, and a good uniform bullet?

Re: 338/408

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could the new bergers be close in performance</div></div>

Depends on what your interpretation of close is, but i doubt it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">legal to shoot at game</div></div>

yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a good uniform bullet</div></div>

yes

I really don't see the need to level the playing field between these two calibers for hunting game.
I don't know how far you plan to shoot, but the 300 gr SMK is no slouch out of a 338-408

Try the Lapua 300Gr Scenar with a B.C. of 785 They work very well out of my 338RUM out to 1500yds.

Well i was thinking that a bc of .90 and a bc of approx. .95 for the 375 is pretty close then you add the adavantage of speed to the 338 and i think they might be close in performance. The availablity of a good uniform hunting/match bullets for the 375 is what concerns me the most. thats why i think the 338 might edge it out because of the availablity of high bc production uniform bullets.

Go with the 338 you wont be disappointed. If you’re that good out to 1700yds look at what kind of energy the 338s have and tell me if it is worth it. The 375 will not beat it with hunting pills.

On a hunting rifle you should be ok, but if you shoot alot the 338 will wash out the barrel faster than the 375

I have a switch barrel set-up and right now the 338 is my favorite because of the 300 SMK. There will be improvements in projos for the 375 and 338 in the future.

I plan to build a 338/408 improved in a couple months. I decided on the 338 based on bullet availability and cost. I think it is the best of both worlds. High BC bullets, cheaper bullets, and hunting bullets available... Not to mention the super high velocities.. Only down side is the barrel life... but I will be able to rechamber my barrel at least twice to remove throat erosion so the barrel will last a pretty good while.

DoubleG

Stenger;
I have not discoverd a good load yet for .375 Cheytac using Sierra 350 grain BTHP bullets. However the Barnes 350 grain .375 X bullets are shooting very well from a Cheytac .375 with a Lawton 1:10 @30"./Lawton 8500 action . Barnes shows the BC at .425. 133 grains of Retumbo, Fed. 215 match, gave 3116fps. at 700 feet elevation at 70 degrees F., with no pressure issues. Bullets loaded .050 off the lands gave the best groups. Shoots a very consistant 1" group at 200 yards. I thinks this is an exelent hunting option for the the Cheytac .375