• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 AX why should I do it?

bowstryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
grottoes, va
So I have a .338 lapua..... but I have a really nasty itch that is begging me to Allen Xpress it..... Those with experience please chime in. I need the absolute pro's and con's of this "improvement." And anyone who owns one who wants to sell me a dummy round loaded with a 300 to 3.750" would be greatly appreciated!

Re: .338 AX why should I do it?

You may want to change the title of your post. Most reading ".338 AX" will assume you're referring to Accuracy International's AX 338.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to change the title of your post. Most reading ".338 AX" will assume you're referring to Accuracy International's AX 338. </div></div>

^^ This is what I thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowstryder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one here with a .338 Allen Xpress?</div></div>

Very few. LongRangHunting.com is likely the better spot for your question.

Yeah didn't think of that about ai. also I am a member over there as well. Just figured I start here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazlo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may want to change the title of your post. Most reading ".338 AX" will assume you're referring to Accuracy International's AX 338. </div></div>I am in the "most" group.

What is the brass availability for this round. If you can only get brass from one manufacturer you better make sure they have good brass. I Started my .338 as a Lazzeroni Titian which shoots really well but the brass SUCKS!!! And guess what.... I have only one choice for brass.... So now I'm rechambering it to a Lapua.

What are you really gaining from the higher velocities? You might save a few Mils when stretching out the barrel. But your burning more powder....

Short answer stay with your Lapua.

Excalibur, this round is NOT a barrel eater whatsoever. Perhaps you are thinking of the Allen Magnum as this is a .338 lapua improved based on Kirby Allen's design.
Lodi, brass will be .338 lapua fire formed. The body taper is straightened a bit and the shoulder is pushed up and out to 35 degrees. Brass life is amazing as all lapua is. The great thing about this chambering is that it's completely safe to fire factory .338 lapua ammo with satisfactory accuracy. And by satisfactory, it's hunt worthy.

My bad. The 338 Lapua improved is a nice round but is the velocity gain enough to justify fireforming, wasting powder,bullets primers,and barrel life. Not for me. Yea, I thought you meant the 338 Allen Magnum.

So I have a .338 lapua..... but I have a really nasty itch that is begging me to Allen Xpress it..... Those with experience please chime in. I need the absolute pro's and con's of this "improvement." And anyone who owns one who wants to sell me a dummy round loaded with a 300 to 3.750" would be greatly appreciated!

@bowstryder did you ever build this rifle? If so, what are your impressions of the .300 Allen Xpress?

We're reviving 8yr old threads now? Is this going to be a thing?

tenor.gif

Can we start fighting over the .308 vs .30-06 debate again too?

Sure, sure - sorry fellas. I probably should've written to @bowstryder personally, but you can't just slide into a guy's DM's like that, you know?
Nah man, don’t be sorry. If you have questions, definitely ask them. I saw an opportunity to give someone some shit and make myself chuckle and I won’t ever pass that up