• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 338 Barrel?

lencomatt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
COS, CO
I was thinking about ordering a barrel and starting to round up parts for 338 build. I was looking at Bugholes website and saw a note for a 4" cylinder on some barrels. I was leaning toward a 338 Edge because its a Savage 110 single shot action in 7 mag and it doesn't need to fit a mag. But 300 Ultra Mag brass may become hard to find so that may change my mind to a Lapua. Is the 4" cylinder necessary for either? I would guess it would be nice for the Lapua.

Last edited:
The best part of a 4" shank is the ability to set the barrel back after your throat grows beyond use. On lapuas/edge we recommend 4-5" min shank length.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

It kinda depends on the usage; if you're already going with a heavy-profile barrel for a target application where weight is of little concern, then by all means go with the longer chamber. A sporter rifle for hunting might be a different story.

Also note that some receivers designed for the .338LM make use of a larger tenon diameter, and thus require a larger barrel shank diameter. For applications that utilize a 1-1/8" thread (such as the Stiller TAC338 or Surgeon XL), you'll probably want to use a 1.35" shank.

Just a quick note on usage, we don't recommend a 338 lapua or Edge under the 12 lb mark. Mostly because shoot ability goes out the window for the average shooter. The 1.350 shank will work on a remmy 700 also. Its mostly just what you want to run. To hit 12lbs you need to be somewhere in the #6 or larger contour. Again 12lbs is just what we like to see these boomers at, def not set in stone.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Chris- what are your thoughts on meloniting stainless vs chromoly barrels on the 338? I want it to be around 17#'s so with a 30" barrel it should be pretty easy to get there. And probably going to put a TBAC break on it for sure if not the can too.

I want it to be around 17#'s so with a 30" barrel it should be pretty easy to get there.

Depending upon your choice of stock and optics, you might find that it's a bit too easy to hit 17 lbs. For example, the .338LM that I just sold was around 20 lbs with a GAP #7 barrel (similar to a M24/M40 contour) at 25", AICS 2.0 stock, and Vortex Razor HD scope.