• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Big Baer

BountyHunter

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2003
Wilmington NC
Here is the latest Joel Russo/Bruce Baer creation. this is my 338 Big Baer (338-408) built on the new Stiller 408 action. He has a 1.450 and 1.6 and I chose the 1.6 in a single shot.

Barrel is a 32" 1.350 tapered to 1.0 Bartlein in 9.7 twist and fluted with a Darryl Holland Radial Brake.

Jewell trigger, Bruce Baer/NF 30 MOA base, NF rings and scope level and ACI. Scope is NF 5-22x50 and have a Davis 3X eyepiece to add to it for LR work. Bruce even did his "zero stop" conversion that works as good as the NF and costs a whole lot less. I will let him tell you about it if you call or email him. Well worth the few dollars he charges for it.

Stock is one sweet Joel Russo A5L with adjustable cheeckpiece in high grade bubinga. Only one sling stud at front for a bipod.

this is strictly a mile comp and LR hunting gun so no need for slings.

Bruce made a great set of custom dies and I have 100 pieces of brass sized down and turned to fit this baby. Bought 8 lbs of 50 BMG at the gunshow today so ready to start loading and fireforming soon.

BH

click on pics to enlarge

Re: 338 Big Baer

Want to sell it?

Thats cool as the back side of the pillow!!!

Stock is real bubinga with lots of hand rubbed clear. For a small nominal fee Joel can make you one too.

He is making some great stocks and Bruce does a fabulous job with the metal and chambering. Joes shot a five shot 3.4" group at 1680 yds with his Big Baer.

BH

I bet that is super shooter! Baer is a true artist as is Joel. A winning combination for sure.

Joel is building a Bubinga stock for me right now. I sandwiched a couple of thin strips of figured Anigre between the Bubinga. It should be finished this week. Can't wait to see it. It is a Manners T2 clone with adjustable cheek piece(Sitman hardware), but I had him use black hardware for the adjustable cheek piece.

very nice rifle mate, one bit of advice tho... dont use a sling stud to mount your bipod, a rifle like that needs a more solid mounting system.

Good to hear positive feedback about Joel, I have a project coming up very shortly for him. Pulling out a blank from my private stash for a heavy gun 300 RUM with rock creek 1.350 straight and BAT mod M. Woo Hoo!

BH,
Thanks for posting info and pics, nice LRG. Im building a Snipe Tac and trying to match the twist with a good bullet, do you mind answering a few questions?

1. You said it shot a 3.4 inch group at 1680. I must say this is an awesome long shooter. What bullet, bullet weight, bc, powder, primer, grains, and speed did you use/see and how far from the lands?

2. How different is the big bear from the AM or Snipe tac? The snipe tac is just slightly improved from the standard chey tac...

3.What is the weight of the gun with or without the Night Force?

4. What have you experienced personally with this new gun in terms of groups and distances?

5. Where was the gun assembled? I have read Joels posts, but not sure where these guys are at.

Why are you selling this rifle, Bountyhunter?
You just recently got it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BH,
Thanks for posting info and pics, nice LRG. Im building a Snipe Tac and trying to match the twist with a good bullet, do you mind answering a few questions?

1. You said it shot a 3.4 inch group at 1680. I must say this is an awesome long shooter. What bullet, bullet weight, bc, powder, primer, grains, and speed did you use/see and how far from the lands?

2. How different is the big bear from the AM or Snipe tac? The snipe tac is just slightly improved from the standard chey tac...

3.What is the weight of the gun with or without the Night Force?

4. What have you experienced personally with this new gun in terms of groups and distances?

5. Where was the gun assembled? I have read Joels posts, but not sure where these guys are at.
</div></div>

1. Joel has similar gun and shot the mile comp with the 3.4" group at Thunder Valley with Tom Sarver. Pics are at 6mmbr.com

2. All are 338-408 improved, minor tweaks to be different and but no big performance differences. All will run a 300 SMK up to 3500 or so, one accuracy node is at 3200 fps though.

3. gun is 19.5 lbs with 2 lb NF

4. Gun is unfired.

5. Bruce Baer did the machining and chambering, out of Willow Hill PA. Top 1k BR shooter and LR hunter from waaay back. Joel is in MD but runs back and forth to Bruces shop. Joel did the stock and bedding.

6. Bartlein fluted barrel with 9.7 twist. 1.350 for five inches tapered to .100, with Holland radial brake. Best brake for big calibers IMO.

gun has Bruce's custom dies, 100 pieces of turned brass ready to fireform, loading block. Scope and rings can be purchased. If you want a package deal and are serious contact me.

BH

For Fact, That is a pretty hotshit LR hunting Rig. I can not believe you have not shoot this thing yet . I would not be able to have that much self control .

There is a guy over here local that has almost the exact twin-brother .338/408 from Big Baer to this rifle and he brought it out to my steal set-up out in BLM land .
I pulled the trigger a few times on it & it was way smoother and not even the brute on the recoil I thought it would be . His had a custom Vias/'looking' .50 cal . design Brake on it and it tamed that beast right down . Was nice/pleasant shooting for a Necked-down .408ct . If I had the extra coin right now and wanted a rock solid, extended Long Range hunting Hammer . This is the puppy I would own.

Pics. Don't do justice, Beautiful wood and Top-notch Smithing and detail to the Build for sure . It was a long rifle but Well balanced when handling it . This Big Baer Build looks real close to his build . His has the same exotic wood also. So most defiantly it will turn a few heads from other shooters and better have a box of Kleenex handy for the drooling . Really was one of the most beautiful LR hunter set-ups I ever seen and shoot .

Was Smooth as butter shooter but the Muz.blast/dust print was heavy & I would recommend for sure a dust mat in front of the muzzle when firing in the Prone position when practicing . but that is pretty much expected when you got a custom Badboy Cal. like this . Same for spotting for this Rig also. You better position tight-in on the rear side of the shooter, as this thing will Bark with authority . Also this hits with authority.

Bruce is a top notch smith..It will shoot no doubt.
For extreme long range shooting this is the ticket.
We shoot them out to 2400 yards with great accuracy.
We also can make a suppressor for it!

BountyHunter,
I was hoping you'd make it out to shoot that rig this season!
I'll e-mail you pics of my elk I got this season.
Hope all is well and you can make it out to shoot some steel with us next year.
Also, I'm forming a "mile" longrange club for 2011. Bruce is interested in helping out and their is lots of interest.

Tom

Traveling 2 weeks a month for the USMC and it has killed my shooting. when home the honey dos and I gotta dos take over.

I am struggling to go to the range tomorrow before I go to Radford Ammo Depot on Friday for the state draw buck hunt there on Sat. Only took me 13 years to draw for the doe and then the buck hunts.

BH

Tom;

When do you plan on having one of your "mile" long range shoots? Very interested, traveling from AK so will have to plan ahead.
Chandalar