• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 BR or Whisper load data????

biffj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
Just finished up the .338 BR Rem 700 last week and its unbelievably quiet with 300gr SMK's. Working up a good load for the subsonics hasn't been too tough. Starting at 12.5gr of 2400 and working up a bit at a time its looking like 13.5gr will be the mark for 1050fps. At that speed and loading its the only hollywood quiet rifle I've ever built. Now I'm looking at some hotter supersonic loads with 200gr bergers or hornadys but not sure where to start on the load. Any ideas out there?

Thanks
Frank

Re: .338 BR or Whisper load data????

Well it looks like there's no interest or info out here.....just tried a few things using data based on the 30BR using 200gr bullets. Started at 26gr of Benchmark with the 200gr Hornady and its running 1680fps. Still lots of room for more powder and other possible powders. Should be able to make at least 2000fps with the 200gr slugs. Pretty versatile round this one....

Frank

I'm working on some right now. I have an AR10 chambered in .338 WHI. That adds the extra complication of cycling into the mix. I'll be running H110, 7BR brass, .338 Sierra 250's and 300's.

Winter is still in session so shooting is no fun. They say that spring is coming though...

Bob

I'm working on some right now. I have an AR10 chambered in .338 WHI. That adds the extra complication of cycling into the mix. I'll be running H110, 7BR brass, .338 Sierra 250's and 300's.

Winter is still in session so shooting is no fun. They say that spring is coming though...

Bob

Just curious if there is an update for us. I just pulled the trigger on a 338br in an xp100. Thanks

Typically the limit in a work up with the 6mmBR case head is primer piercing.
With 338W 300 gr SMK that will probably happen around 14 gr Bullseye, 17 gr Power Pistol, 22 gr 2400 or 28 gr H335.
The more powder mass the harder is to make it quiet.
With 200 gr that will happen around 17 gr Bullseye, 18 gr Power Pistol, 27 gr 2400, or 32 gr H110

Having finished up quite a few of these now I can say that about 13-14gr of 2400 with a 300 gr matchking will get you hollywood quiet with a 17" barrel and a good can. So far this is the quietest rifle I've ever fired. I'm not sure why you would want to shoot anything lighter subsonic as the whole point of the excercise is to maintain the greatest energy while reducing the noise of the sonic crack.

Loading supersonic is simple as well using 180 or 200 gr bullets. I can't recall what the load was exactly but I believe it was around 30 gr of reloader 10 and a hornady 200gr SST giving about 2200fps in the 17" barrel. Suppressed its still loud but not bad. I have no idea what you guys with the AR's are doing. Cycling a bolt action is always simple and reliable. Cycling those toys is anyone's guess since they are made by different companies to different specs etc.
Pic is my DTA Covert with a 17" 338BR barrel and my own suppressor. Works great.
Frank

Attachments

• 338BR shorty w can on.jpg
    338BR shorty w can on.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 65