• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Caliber Restriction.

Jon Conley

JMC1
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2019
I’ve had shooting 1 mile on my bucket list for a long time now. So a few months back I decided to move forward and see if I could make this happen. I don’t want to just get one shot on steel, but rather something a bit more reasonably repeatable.
This was a real good excuse to upgrade some equipment and tools. It took a while to find everything I needed but I ended up with a new press, dies, brass and a lot of power and bullets.
Over the past couple months I’ve been working up a load for my 338 with 300 gr Berger hybrids and H1000. I feel like I’m really close to where I wanna be.
I am in Fort Worth Texas and I see that Triple C has closed down.

So now my only choice for shooting on a regular basis has caliber restrictions that make my 338 useless. I’m not really interested in driving hundreds of miles to shoot so I’m thinking I’m going to build a new rifle.
I have to stay 30 caliber or under, could you guys give me suggestions of what caliber I should move towards. Not sure, I may just re-barrel but that may leave me needing a new bolt.
thoughts?

A bunch of stupid FUDDs that don't like anything but the "Lord's caliber" of their .30 whatever rifles.

That being said, if you are in Fort Worth and used to making the drive to 3C, just continue down the road a bit to TacPro shooting center.
$200/ year membership and range up to 1000 yards and good with everything including .50 BMG

Reactions: stefan73
When I was considering a gun/cartridge for ELR, I too wanted to stay 30 caliber or under for a different reason. I landed on 300 Norma Magnum.

Assuming by 338 you mean 338 Lapua, the 300 Norma Magnum, 338 Norma Magnum and 338 Lapua Magnum all share the same bolt face. That makes re-barreling your existing action to 300 Norma Magnum fairly easy I would think. You might need to tweak your magazine to feed the Norma case. Also you can save your 338 barrel for the future if you get access to a range again where you can use the 338. So have a look at 300 Norma Magnum as it might be a easy solution if you go the rebarrel route.

A bunch of stupid FUDDs that don't like anything but the "Lord's caliber" of their .30 whatever rifles.

That being said, if you are in Fort Worth and used to making the drive to 3C, just continue down the road a bit to TacPro shooting center.
$200/ year membership and range up to 1000 yards and good with everything including .50 BMG
Been to TacPro many times. That range only goes out to 1000.

Reactions: stefan73
Yep it’s a Lapua.
Thanks for the suggestions. The price of only a re-barrel and not buying a bolt sounds so good considering how much I’ve spent already. I’ll look into a 300 NM.

Reactions: Lite
I made my 1-mile bucket list shot (actually several of them) last season with my 300-WM. This year, my goal is to take my 300-PRC out to 2,000 yards. My 338-LM is next, but that will have to take a back seat to the PRC for now.

Reactions: bunny too
Jon, let me say be careful in the metroplex, some of our ranges also limit 7.62 to 300 WM and smaller ruling out 300 NM. I am also considering re-barreling to 300 NM

Reactions: Jon Conley
Any of the 300 magnums will easily do a mile.
The 300 short magnums included.
Just get it throated properly and with enough twist for the heavier 200 or more grain bullets.

I’d also consider the 7mm magnums.
the 180-190 grain 7mm have great BC’s and they are nice to shoot.

Since you have a lapua boltface 300 Norma is the easiest option

Thanks everyone, My gunsmith and I are about to start looking for a barrel, and I guess I need to start looking into brass..

Thanks everyone, My gunsmith and I are about to start looking for a barrel, and I guess I need to start looking into brass..

If you've got a brand new box of Lapua .338LM brass, let me know and I'll swap you for the same in .300 Norma

Reactions: Geno C.
Midway shows some Lapua brand .300 norma in stock

That’s amazing thank you.
No Berger’s in stock. What grain bullet do people like? Se see some nice looking 215, 220, and 230?

The only thing I have laying around are a bunch of old 168 match kings and I would think those would be a bit light.

Hi,

We used the 215s and the 230s for testing...the 215s win in the elevation portion and the windage differences are negated by the shooter and wind conditions...so either of those are fine.

We even purposely fired a round of Norma magnum factory ammo at the last mile match even though everything was setup for the Berger factory ammo.....still cold bored 1k 1MOA plate.....

Shooter took 6th place with 3 different types of factory ammunition in a frankenstien test rifle, lolol

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
That’s amazing thank you.
No Berger’s in stock. What grain bullet do people like? Se see some nice looking 215, 220, and 230?

The only thing I have laying around are a bunch of old 168 match kings and I would think those would be a bit light.

I'd suggest giving the solids from Badlands Precision a try.
If you are able to get them on the phone, they are usually happy to discuss which ones will work best with your barrel twist.

Last edited:
I've personally done a mile with 6.5SAUM and 6 Creedmoor. I've spotted for friends that have done it with 6.5 Creedmoors.

I'd you want to hit a mile just to say you've done it, you don't need a big magnum. If you just want a magnum, then more power to you.

Reactions: Steel head
I've personally done a mile with 6.5SAUM and 6 Creedmoor. I've spotted for friends that have done it with 6.5 Creedmoors.

I'd you want to hit a mile just to say you've done it, you don't need a big magnum. If you just want a magnum, then more power to you.
My first time at a mile was with my 260.
It wasn’t what you’d call difficult.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
When record rules require you go 3/3 from cold bore, then things start becoming a bit more difficult.
Doesn’t sound like OP is concerned with getting the next ELR world record

Neither am I.

:)

In fact I worry more about wind conditions effect on my cigars than what it does to the bullet.

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound like OP is concerned with getting the next ELR world record

Neither am I.

:)

In fact I worry more about wind conditions effect on my cigars than what it does to the bullet.
Man wind is hell on cigars, fight that shit all the time here

Reactions: Steel head
I can't spot misses for shit with small bullets at ELR. Usually too much mirage here for extremely high magnification spotting scopes.
Much easier with 300 grain bullets that smack with enough energy to be seen.

We recently had a place open in FL with 2K (JTAC), and I'm thinking a camera system will save a lot of aggravation (and wasted ammo) getting dialed in at that range.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I’ve had shooting 1 mile on my bucket list for a long time now. So a few months back I decided to move forward and see if I could make this happen. I don’t want to just get one shot on steel, but rather something a bit more reasonably repeatable.
This was a real good excuse to upgrade some equipment and tools. It took a while to find everything I needed but I ended up with a new press, dies, brass and a lot of power and bullets.
Over the past couple months I’ve been working up a load for my 338 with 300 gr Berger hybrids and H1000. I feel like I’m really close to where I wanna be.

So now my only choice for shooting on a regular basis has caliber restrictions that make my 338 useless. I’m not really interested in driving hundreds of miles to shoot so I’m thinking I’m going to build a new rifle.
I have to stay 30 caliber or under, could you guys give me suggestions of what caliber I should move towards. Not sure, I may just re-barrel but that may leave me needing a new bolt.
thoughts?
are there no public lands nearby? I am WA and all public land is available for recreational shooting. I shoot mine in the mountain next door. A previous shooter has set up targets from 600 to mile. I am planning to put some out to 1.5 mile. Try a bit more research before you invest in calibre swap.

thoughts?
Jon - if you would consider traveling to the Austin area, there is the Austin Gun Club in Lake Victor, TX - goes out to 1 mile and accepts 338 LM (max) - see https://austingunclub.com/shooting-sports That would allow you to use everything you already have.

Jon - if you would consider traveling to the Austin area, there is the Austin Gun Club in Lake Victor, TX - goes out to 1 mile and accepts 338 LM (max) - see https://austingunclub.com/shooting-sports That would allow you to use everything you already have.
Sadly the long range lines are members only, with a $520 initiation fee then a $79 monthly members fee thats tough to shoot on enough to make it very attractive if you are not local. That may indeed be the reason though...

Reactions: Jon Conley
Jon, let me say be careful in the metroplex, some of our ranges also limit 7.62 to 300 WM and smaller ruling out 300 NM. I am also considering re-barreling to 300 NM
But will they really know? I mean, you could just say you're shooting 300WM and still shoot NM. Or do they actually check your ammo?

But will they really know? I mean, you could just say you're shooting 300WM and still shoot NM. Or do they actually check your ammo?
I suspect its a mix of both with some checking and some not

I suspect its a mix of both with some checking and some not
You're talking what, a 200 fps difference between the allowed and not-allowed? I can understand "no 50 BMG" but to limit 338 and certain 30's is just dumb. Nobody is shooting these things at steel closer than 400 so the impact on steel isn't that much different at longer ranges. More energy, yes, but not necessarily more penetrating power since most have slowed down enough to not hurt AR500 targets. Also any concerns about sending them over the berm should be addressed by qualifying before being allowed on the longer ranges.
I'm all for following the rules on other people's property, but allowing 300 WM but not 300 NM seems nitpicky.

You're talking what, a 200 fps difference between the allowed and not-allowed? I can understand "no 50 BMG" but to limit 338 and certain 30's is just dumb. Nobody is shooting these things at steel closer than 400 so the impact on steel isn't that much different at longer ranges. More energy, yes, but not necessarily more penetrating power since most have slowed down enough to not hurt AR500 targets. Also any concerns about sending them over the berm should be addressed by qualifying before being allowed on the longer ranges.
I'm all for following the rules on other people's property, but allowing 300 WM but not 300 NM seems nitpicky.
Let's be clear... I am not debating any of this with you, I agree whole heartedly and am aware of the external ballistics involved, and the differences between the calibers, or lack there of. Just sharing what info I have in an attempt to help others looking for places to shoot big bores.

Nit picky or not, unless you work for the range, and even if you do, the reasons for the caliber restrictions may not be clear, for example does liability insurance figure in to the equation... etc

Reactions: LANCER
True. I think my post sounded whiny, that was not the intent. I don't own a range, I'm sure there are valid reasons. The one I frequent allows up to 50 BMG but not M855 or AP anywhere which is understandable.

are there no public lands nearby? I am WA and all public land is available for recreational shooting. I shoot mine in the mountain next door. A previous shooter has set up targets from 600 to mile. I am planning to put some out to 1.5 mile. Try a bit more research before you invest in calibre swap.
There's almost zero public land in all of Texas. The few national forests, parks, etc., don't allow recreational shooting anymore. The rest is all private land.