• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 choice

Re: 338 choice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which 338 round has the best brass life? Norma, lapua or the edge? </div></div>

Brass choices are different,the EDGE is the only one I'm familiar with.This is made from a 300 RUM,brass is availible through Rem,Nosler,and Hornaday.Might be others,but I just use the Rem.Not too worried about brass life in a cart like this.After 6+ loads I think I'll toss it.

308 Norma sounds pretty interesting for a hunting round,though.Could be great for the Alaska tundra hunts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bluejazz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wadcutter,
At 3.912 COAL with a start pressure of 3626psi, 98 gr H-1000 yields 2933 fps out of a 30" barrel at a pressure of 78,196psi. </div></div>
Hmmmmmm....Sounds a bit hot? What do you think?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only get about 3 or 4 shots out of a case at this load and accuracy is not as good as the 92 to 93 grain load. </div></div>

What part of the case failes? Is it the neck or do the primer pockets loosen? </div></div>
Primer pockets loosen up. When they feel a bit loose when I seat a new primer, I mark them with a marking pen and after I next fire the case it goes into a "retirement" bucket for when I do cull hunts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BHP9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
All that I've read on the Edge says that the case life isn't very good, but nothing on the problems.</div></div>

We did some testing and gave up at 8 reloads on a random group of brass we picked out of an EDGE. I'd say if you're going to have a problem it's going to be with the primer pockets loosening up though. Still haven't really ran cases to the point of failure though so I can't tell you exactly how many loads we expect. I'm guessing 6-10 loads though through our rifles with the load we're running depending on how picky you are with primer pockets. </div></div>

I'm at 8 or 9 loading on the .338LM Lapua brass with no end in sight.

I've heard of 15+ loading on this but I can't confirm. I'm running 300 brass to the point of failure, so in theory, this batch of brass is at its half life now.

At least I'm very lucky, I get my once fired brass for free.

My edge is a long throated single shot on a 700 action, 30" Hart tube. I'm shooting the 92gr H1000 & 300mk load and throw brass out after 10. No failures, just piece of mind, and throwing the cheap Rem brass out doesn't hurt so bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jared06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My edge is a long throated single shot on a 700 action, 30" Hart tube. I'm shooting the 92gr H1000 & 300mk load and throw brass out after 10. No failures, just piece of mind, and throwing the cheap Rem brass out doesn't hurt so bad. </div></div>

What kind of velocities do you see and what is your OAL?

you might want consider the other .338 variants,
like the
Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan
338-378 Weatherby

OAL 3.96 just comparing my drops to 1000 in Exbal I figure about 2850

I'm only sitting at about 200 rounds through my edge right now, so it's not to say I may not have a brass failure before 10 shots in the future. My data is based on a small batch of brass so far.

I Picked up my .338 Norma mag Today (I have been waiting many months!!)

It has a 28" tube I will be shooting the 300 SMK's

pc3
Excellent choice and great Christmas present. What powder are you planning on using, and why did you go 28". Also, what velocity are you expecting?
If you don't mind, could you give the specs and weight on your build. Also, what barrel contour, and who built it for you.
Very nice build and caliber.
Thanks.

I just picked up a new TRG42 in 338 LM. I haven't had time to shoot it yet but am looking forward to trying out next week while I am off.
BTW, if anyone is interested in one of these, I got mine from Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA. The price was way better than I could find anywhere else. Plus, he had the brakes, pic rails, bipods and spare mags in stock. All he has is black with 10 twist barrels.

pc3 said:
I Picked up my .338 Norma mag Today (I have been waiting many months!!)

It has a 28" tube I will be shooting the 300 SMK's

I wanted a 28" cause I thought 30" was too long
laugh.gif
my smith wanted me to have 30" I will be using Retumbo and I expect to get around 2850 + or - I am wrapped with the quality of workmanship that the Smith Shane Clancy here in Australia has done.

Thanks for the reply, pc3.
However I would be surprised if you get 2850fps out of it. Don't take this the wrong way, but I have a friend with a 338 Norma 26" that gets 2730fps w/92.5gr Retumbo. So, based on that, Quikload is telling me that a 28" barrel should yield 2770fps. I hope you do get 2850, let us know how the load developement turns out.I am interested to see this 338 Norma cartridge on Vit N570 when it is available.

Bj I was just having a guess at what I might get speed wise 2770 will do the job on hogs maybe 250 scenars might be better for the Norma I have heaps of 300 smks to use first

Has anyone tried 300 RUM Nosler brass for life expectancy ... ?
I have some on the way for the Edge.
Hope it is more consistent than Remington. Some of the Remington brass are 5-6 grns in weight difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gettn2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hope it is more consistent than Remington. Some of the Remington brass are 5-6 grns in weight difference. </div></div>

Have you seen any problems with accuracy due to this? None of the Edges that I've seen have been too picky about what you feed them. They all seem to be very forgiving when it comes to reloading and I've yet to have a problem shooting Rem brass.

I have a remmy 300 Rum that i am thinking about coverting to a edge when the barrel gives out my brother has a 7mm rum can he also convert it when his barrel goes away?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a remmy 300 Rum that i am thinking about coverting to a edge when the barrel gives out my brother has a 7mm rum can he also convert it when his barrel goes away?</div></div>

Yes since they use the same bolt face and I believe the 7mm is just a necked down 300.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JLR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300ultramag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a remmy 300 Rum that i am thinking about coverting to a edge when the barrel gives out my brother has a 7mm rum can he also convert it when his barrel goes away?</div></div>

Yes since they use the same bolt face and I believe the 7mm is just a necked down 300. </div></div>

You are correct sir, I use both 300 Ultra and 7mm Ultra brass to reload for my 338 Edge. Honestly, I have found the 7mm brass to be of better quality...dunno why though.

Have you seen any problems with accuracy due to this? None of the Edges that I've seen have been too picky about what you feed them. They all seem to be very forgiving when it comes to reloading and I've yet to have a problem shooting Rem brass. [/quote said:
I can't say my rifle is very forgiving, I really have to watch seating depths or I get pressure signs. I use a Sinclair bullet comparator on every load to make sure I stay .005 off the lands and if I go .010/.015 off ... at 200 yrds I go from measuring in the .3's to .7's. My best to date is .314 4 shot at 200 and I think we can do better. I am not into shooting paper but I want to see what I can do at 200.

All I have ever used is Rem brass, H1000 and 300gr SMK's. I am in hopes to get my ES and SD down and I hope the consistency of the Nosler brass will help. I am in the low teens at the moment and shooting 1 MOA at 1000. I am also going to experiment with Whiddons bullet pointing system and see If I can gain some accuracy with it.

http://www.6mmbr.com/bulletpointer.html

I suppose that some would be satisfied, but I am a perfectionist and my ultimate goal is 1/2 minute at 1000. I may never make it, but I enjoy the challenge. When I get there ... I will build another gun and try again.
wink.gif

how much work is it to neck up from 7mm tp 300 or say neck down from 30-06 to 270 i have never tried this?

Gettn2 how did you go about the dies, did you have one made, or use a larger seater and set it high.? I am going to start an edge shortly and any info would be great. thanks

Wadcutter, or Bluejazz,
could i get a copy of the pressuure as well. Thanks

I could not find hornady 300 rum on there site. where you able to get it. i ahve used hornady for many rounds and would like to get it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goettel818</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gettn2 how did you go about the dies, did you have one made, or use a larger seater and set it high.? I am going to start an edge shortly and any info would be great. thanks </div></div>

Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge actually takes the Redding .300 Rum dies and puts in a tapered expander ball, etc. They seem to work well. You can order them directly from him. DefensiveEdge.net

Goettel818,
What pressure copy are you referring to ?
I could run quikload for you, but would need to know COAL, powder charge and bullet used.
Send me a PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you might want consider the other .338 variants,
like the
Lazzeroni 8.59 Titan
338-378 Weatherby
</div></div>
add 338 Snipetac