• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 comparisons - TRG 42 vs Savage 18900

mrjimsfc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Centerville, Utah
Other than the $1000.00 saved by getting the Savage instead of the TRG, what other advantages does the Savage offer? I believe the TRG 42 offers 1/2 MOA out of the box. Is that amount of "precision" gained (if any in reality) worth the thousand dollars? The Savage comes with an integral muzzle brake that has to be cut off and the barrel re-crowned and threaded to accept a suppressor. The TRG, (in the US), only has to be threaded. If I'm going to spend the money to buy top-end accessories, is it wasted on the either the TRG or the Savage? ie. why buy a scope that costs more than the rifle? Both guns LOOK real good but looks don't hold a tight group down range. Do you have a favorite (in .338) that surpasses either one or both of these rifles in cost or performance? Tell me about it!

Re: .338 comparisons - TRG 42 vs Savage 18900

TRG's come threaded, other than that have heard great things on savage and trg's, I have a TRG 22 and love it, remember if your looking at money don't look at a 338, and make sure you have a range beyond 1k to use it. I've seen a TRG 42 shoot and they are very accurate as is my TRG.

I'm definitely looking at ranges up to and a tad over a mile. I haven't seen a TRG-42 offered with the threaded option here in the US.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.eurooptic.com/pdf/SakoRiflesDatatable.pdf threaded for a brake or can, look at the data table </div></div>
This keeps getting better and better! This completely offsets the cost of having the Savage threaded for a can.

TRG has better ergonomics and looks (both personal preference though), is lighter, and has one of the best triggers available. Savage has 1/9 twist as opposed to the TRG 1/10 twist though.

I've got a TRG-42 .338LM and it is easily the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. It's capabilities are really nothing short of astounding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bazgab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage has 1/9 twist as opposed to the TRG 1/10 twist though. </div></div>
I'm hoping that Scorpion will be coming out with their new .338 bullets that work well in the 1/10 twist. Now if Groper will just leap to the breach here and let us know what's going on in the land down under.

If you do decide to go with a TRG, definitely go through Alex at Euro Optics. Super smooth transaction with him and customer service second to none.

I just purchased a TRG42 from him after going through decisions like you are (Sako, vs Savage vs etc etc). Unfortunately i have yet to shoot it yet, as the weather has been garbage around here.

The trigger on the Sako blows the Savage trigger out of the water. Best trigger i have ever felt on a rifle. It is super adjustable and a snap to adjust also. The stock on the Sako feels much better than the savage to me. One thing i really did not like with the Savage was the feel of it. It did not feel very beefy and just personally i think it looks cheesy with all of the rails all over the thing.

EZ

Where did you see that the Savage needs to be rethreaded for a suppressor? It is threaded 5/8x24 for the brake which is a standard thread size for suppressors. Unless you already have a 3/4 threaded can Im not sure why you would need to unless Im missing something?

If you're honestly trying to compare a Savage to a TRG, you're crazy. The TRG is a purpose built, military grade tool and the Savage is a hunting rifle.

Accessories aren't in the mix as there is nothing "needed" from Sako.

TRG all the way and don't look back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you're honestly trying to compare a Savage to a TRG, you're crazy. The TRG is a purpose built, military grade tool and the Savage is a hunting rifle.

Accessories aren't in the mix as there is nothing "needed" from Sako.

TRG all the way and don't look back. </div></div>

I agree this isn't even kinda fair comparison, if you have the moeny don't bother even looking at the savage. they are great rifle in there own right but not in the same overall ballpark as the trg.

yes i have a trg 22 right now and absolutely love everything about it.

I think you guys have me convinced! I already own two Sako rifles (a 30-06 and a 22-250 heavy barrel) both in hunting configurations. I've just never tried out a TRG so the cost was causing me some anxiety. I reload for everything (except rimfire) so ammo costs aren't going to kill me. I should be set up for shooting 2,000 yards by the end of the summer.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are all threaded, and come with a thread protector 18x1m
</div></div>

What are your choices for readily available muzzle breaks in 18X1m ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J.Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are all threaded, and come with a thread protector 18x1m
</div></div>

What are your choices for readily available muzzle breaks in 18X1m ? </div></div>Near and Sako, both excellent choices, negating any negatives caused by other options not being available.

Or if your suppressor/brake doesn't come in 18x1, just have it cut and threaded to your threading of choice. That's what I am doing.

+1 on the TRG trigger and also the TRG has a more robust action. As far as accuracy, here is my TRG-42 Groups were 3 shots at 200 yards. 1 group is .3395 outside to outside. Not to bad for a 338 LM.

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

TRG 42 would probably cost between $3,500 and $4,500. Let me throw in DTA SRS as an alternative (discussed here on SH) - would be near the upper ballpark of TRG. It has some unique advantages, including multiple calibers. And it's a pleasure to shoot, even in the less forgiving 338 LM.

eurooptic is selling the trg42 right now for 2700. Can't beat that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG 42 would probably cost between $3,500 and $4,500. Let me throw in DTA SRS as an alternative (discussed here on SH) - would be near the upper ballpark of TRG. It has some unique advantages, including multiple calibers. And it's a pleasure to shoot, even in the less forgiving 338 LM. </div></div>

Not even close. The chassis for the DTA is the price of a TRG-42 (and you even get the barrel in the TRG). The conversion kits are 13-1500 and I have seen barrels going from some of the resident smiths for over 1k. It is a neat concept, but that is a ton of money to get started.

Josh

I have seen quite a few DTAs around here. ALL of them had problems right out of the box. They were later fixed. But if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would want it to work.

I not gonna knock Savage, because I had one (.308), and it was very accurate.
What I like most about my TRG is the trigger, I have tried plenty of different triggers and I have to say that the TRG has the best one I have ever used, and the rifle fits me.
As has already been stated, the TRG it is a purpose built Military rifle.
It's a great platform, so don't let the money scare you, if you do it you won't regret it.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or if your suppressor/brake doesn't come in 18x1, just have it cut and threaded to your threading of choice. That's what I am doing.</div></div>

I put a Surefire brake on mine. I will find out how it shoots Thursday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG 42 would probably cost between $3,500 and $4,500. Let me throw in DTA SRS as an alternative (discussed here on SH) - would be near the upper ballpark of TRG. It has some unique advantages, including multiple calibers. And it's a pleasure to shoot, even in the less forgiving 338 LM. </div></div>

Not even close. The chassis for the DTA is the price of a TRG-42 (and you even get the barrel in the TRG). The conversion kits are 13-1500 and I have seen barrels going from some of the resident smiths for over 1k. It is a neat concept, but that is a ton of money to get started.</div></div>
I wonder where your numbers are coming from, as they don't seem right to me.

Taking straight from DTA Web site (so I consider it MSRP):

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]DTA SRS chassis: from $3,072.00 to $3,272.00;[*]Conversion kits: from $1,560.00 to $1,734.00.[/list]
These numbers tell me that DTA SRS configured for 338 LM ($3,072 + $1,734 = $4,806) would be about $300 above the upper ballpark for TRG 42. You can find a TRG for less - but I'm sure DTA dealers would also shave some amount off the MSRP.

So AFAICS - it's close enough (if I can spend $4500, I can probably throw an extra $300 - not happily, but...).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen quite a few DTAs around here. ALL of them had problems right out of the box. They were later fixed. But if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would want it to work.</div></div>
I've actually handled only one SRS - mine. But so far - thankfully - it had no problem (knocking on the wood), and worked very well. Perhaps yours were older - when the concept was still polished?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG 42 would probably cost between $3,500 and $4,500. Let me throw in DTA SRS as an alternative (discussed here on SH) - would be near the upper ballpark of TRG. It has some unique advantages, including multiple calibers. And it's a pleasure to shoot, even in the less forgiving 338 LM. </div></div>

Not even close. The chassis for the DTA is the price of a TRG-42 (and you even get the barrel in the TRG). The conversion kits are 13-1500 and I have seen barrels going from some of the resident smiths for over 1k. It is a neat concept, but that is a ton of money to get started.</div></div>

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]DTA SRS chassis: from $3,072.00 to $3,272.00;[*]Conversion kits: from $1,560.00 to $1,734.00.[/list]
These numbers tell me that DTA SRS configured for 338 LM ($3,072 + $1,734 = $4,806) would be about $300 above the upper ballpark for TRG 42. You can find a TRG for less - but I'm sure DTA dealers would also shave some amount off the MSRP.

So AFAICS - it's close enough (if I can spend $4500, I can probably throw an extra $300 - not happily, but...).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have seen quite a few DTAs around here. ALL of them had problems right out of the box. They were later fixed. But if I was going to spend that kind of money, I would want it to work.</div></div>
I've actually handled only one SRS - mine. But so far - thankfully - it had no problem (knocking on the wood), and worked very well. Perhaps yours were older - when the concept was still polished? </div></div>

Most of the ones I have seen around here were bought new within the past couple of months. I know of 3 that had extractor issues and a couple of others had accuracy issues.

you can pick up a remington mlr in 338 lapua and it is already threaded and has a break on it then put it in a aics and still have tons of money left over and compared to the sako mags aics 338 mags are a steal i know your final product wont be a trg but your pricetag wont be a trg either and if there is one rifle company out there that is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with it would be beretta/sako

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG 42 would probably cost between $3,500 and $4,500. Let me throw in DTA SRS as an alternative (discussed here on SH) - would be near the upper ballpark of TRG. It has some unique advantages, including multiple calibers. And it's a pleasure to shoot, even in the less forgiving 338 LM. </div></div>

</div></div>

Again, not even close. Euro Optics is selling the TRG-42 (in colors even) in 338 LM for $2700. So, not sure how you can disagree with the numbers. Even if someone is selling the chassis for 10% off MSRP you are still at the same price as the TRG and you cannot even shoot the DTA at that price point. The TRG is a way better deal. Not to mention you aren't paying upwards of 1K every time you need a new barrel.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can pick up a <span style="color: #990000">remington mlr in 338 </span>lapua and it is already threaded and has a break on it then put it in a <span style="color: #990000">aics</span> and still have tons of money left over and compared to the sako mags aics 338 mags are a steal i know your final product wont be a trg but your pricetag wont be a trg either and if there is one rifle company out there that is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with it would be beretta/sako </div></div>
Doing some quick math:
Remington MLR Aprox $1600
AICS non folder Aprox $800
Huber 2 stage trigger $250
Your in the Ballpark of the TRG, but don't have the same Great trigger, but close (I have had a Huber).
Now, it depends if you like the Feel of the AICS or TRG. I have had the AICS standard and folding stock, I sold them both because it wasn't for me.
When you are talking about spending this kind of money, you really should get behind one to see what fits you.
SScott

the things i dont like about the trg line is the price of sako goodies bipid,magazines,muzzlebreak 3 ring scope mount etc i understand other stuff can be substituted like a harris bipod but for me if i priced things out on what i would want to end up with the sako would be far more expensive for example i would want 3 magazines how much are aics vs. sako that is a huge price difference right there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can pick up a <span style="color: #990000">remington mlr in 338 </span>lapua and it is already threaded and has a break on it then put it in a <span style="color: #990000">aics</span> and still have tons of money left over and compared to the sako mags aics 338 mags are a steal i know your final product wont be a trg but your pricetag wont be a trg either and if there is one rifle company out there that is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with it would be beretta/sako </div></div>
Doing some quick math:
Your in the Ballpark of the TRG, but don't have the same Great trigger, but close (I have had a Huber).
Now, it depends if you like the Feel of the AICS or TRG. I have had the AICS standard and folding stock, I sold them both because it wasn't for me.
When you are talking about spending this kind of money, you really should get behind one to see what fits you.
SScott </div></div>

And with that setup, you still have a Remington 700 with a unsafe trigger. Sako FTW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the things i dont like about the trg line is the price of sako goodies bipid,magazines,muzzlebreak 3 ring scope mount etc i understand other stuff can be substituted like a harris bipod but for me if i priced things out on what i would want to end up with the sako would be far more expensive for example i would want 3 magazines how much are aics vs. sako that is a huge price difference right there </div></div>

When you start talking about purchases of this magnitude, in 338 LM no less, the prices of accessories and consumables become trivial in the overall scheme of things. Sure you want this accessory and that accessory...man up and buy them. Amortize the cost over a couple barrel lifetimes and the associated number of rounds and it becomes moot. Whatever makes you feel better about what you purchase...

Josh

Im not sure why everyone makes out shooting a 338 to be like youre having to buy depleted uranium rounds. As long as you are reloading, its not horribly expensive to shoot. And in my bank account, not sure of others, but money going into gun accessories is still worth the same amount as other money.

Now if you start talking about 408 and 416 and the likes, where you are spending some $4+ per round even if reloading, and $8000+ on the gun, then if you have the gun you obviously have the money for the accessories.

338 is not an exotic round anymore, so it doesnt need to be regarded as a rich mans gun anymore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can pick up a <span style="color: #990000">remington mlr in 338 </span>lapua and it is already threaded and has a break on it then put it in a <span style="color: #990000">aics</span> and still have tons of money left over and compared to the sako mags aics 338 mags are a steal i know your final product wont be a trg but your pricetag wont be a trg either and if there is one rifle company out there that is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with it would be beretta/sako </div></div>
Doing some quick math:
SScott </div></div>

And with that setup, you still have a Remington 700 with a unsafe trigger. Sako FTW. </div></div>

and the fact that you can spend all that money on modding it and (rare but has happen before) it not shoot real well and have alot of problems with geting it too.

where as the trg you know its gonna shoot , you dont have to mod it
smile.gif

o and btw its not a bash at Remington i own 5 of them, just trg vs moded Remington is no brainier
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">money going into gun accessories is still worth the same amount as other money.</div></div>

I get where you are coming from, but this is not correct. I am not saying that the 338 LM is outrageously expensive if you reload, but it is still about 2-3x what you pay for reloading a SA cartridge based on powder alone. What I mean by the accessories not costing the same compared to the barrels, projos, etc is that you shoot them up and then have to purchase new ones. Brass works for awhile, but eventually has to be replaced. In relative terms, bipods, scope bases, rings, scopes, magazines, etc are cheap because they outlast any of the other expenses by a long shot. Just as everyone states that a piece of brass that cost $3 at the beginning only winds up costing $0.30 per shot if you get 10 reloadings, then so do all the accessories. Hell, a $175 mag that sees 1,750 rounds only costs $0.10 per rounds. Hence why I used the term "amortize".

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yogibear187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just trg vs moded Remington is no brainier
smile.gif
</div></div>

Apparently it is no <span style="font-style: italic">brainier</span>.

Josh

Very good point Minordamage. I think it is just harder because you can have all the accessories you want, but you still HAVE to buy components if you want to shoot. Therefore it is easier to justify the fact that brass only costs $.30/rd amortized.

And I was also speaking more to the guys that say, "well youre spending $1900 on the Savage (realistic cost), why not just spend $3000 or whatever on the Sako" Well, thats still $1000 that some people who would like to get into the 338 game just dont have, and could easily buy an optic for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very good point Minordamage. I think it is just harder because you can have all the accessories you want, but you still HAVE to buy components if you want to shoot. Therefore it is easier to justify the fact that brass only costs $.30/rd amortized.

And I was also speaking more to the guys that say, "well youre spending $1900 on the Savage (realistic cost), why not just spend $3000 or whatever on the Sako" Well, thats still $1000 that some people who would like to get into the 338 game just dont have, and could easily buy an optic for it. </div></div>

I definitely feel where you are coming from. I sold off 3 rifles to buy my TRG and required accessories. Best choice I ever made.

Josh

Cmon guys lets be realistic if you have to pinch pennies and worry about a couple bucks here and there then the 338 is not for you as a useable rifle. it will make a cool safe queen, and your friends will think its cool but if you can't afford to feed it, it's just for show and tell like when we were in kindergarten. If your buying it cause its cool more power to you, but be realistic when purchasing.

I say all this from experience, i have owned to custom 338 edges and sold both because i just didn't shoot them enough to justify keeping them.

In all honesty you are going to have trouble beating the trg, you don't have to buy the expensive factory acc. you can buy a warne 20 moa rail for about $100, harris bipod $100 and be ready to rock. yes the extra mags cost $100more each but really we are only talking about $200 extra, because who in there right mind needs more than 3 lapua magazines.

And, with the muzzle break, the TRG 42 .338 is surprisingly easy on your body. I think my Remington .308 5r mil spec stings worse. If you can afford to feed it or reload, you'll find it to be a hoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you start talking about purchases of this magnitude, in 338 LM no less, the prices of accessories and consumables become trivial in the overall scheme of things. Sure you want this accessory and that accessory...<span style="font-weight: bold">man up and buy them</span>. Amortize the cost over a couple barrel lifetimes and the associated number of rounds and it becomes moot. Whatever makes you feel better about what you purchase...Josh </div></div>
I take your point Josh. That's about where I'm at (ready to man up). I feel a rifle is a tool, not a toy and I want the best I can get with my somewhat limited funds. Several of the scopes out there cast more than the TRG. I'm working on making the wisest selection there also. I'm probably going to have to "man up" again to get what I really need for my over-all package. Will it all be worth it in the end? I think so or I wouldn't even consider it.

Guys, Whats the normal barrel life you have experienced with the TRG-42? Im gearing up to purchase one very soon... Just curious...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coryfls3vvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, Whats the normal barrel life you have experienced with the TRG-42? Im gearing up to purchase one very soon... Just curious...</div></div>

~ 2k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VicV</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coryfls3vvt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys, Whats the normal barrel life you have experienced with the TRG-42? Im gearing up to purchase one very soon... Just curious...</div></div>

~ 2k

</div></div>
Hmmm....that's about $10,000.00 in ammo cost if you go with "store bought" ammo. If you reload then it's about $4,000.00. That's a heck of a lot of shooting!

This post is a bit late, but here is an example of what the TRG is capable of:

IMG-20101016-00053.jpg

5 rounds at 600 yards...about a one-inch group. Now I am nowhere good enough to be able to do that consistently; this was a fluke on my part. But for some reason everything came together and it worked (I think it was because I was relaxed and just wanted to beat on steel and practice my technique, rather than shoot groups). Regardless, I've always known the Sakos were damn accurate and I have a newfound appreciation for mine.

Go with a Sako, you will not be disappointed.

WOAH!!! Yasherka! I am truly impressed! A one inch group at 600 yards, is that 0.17 MOA? (I think I just wet my pants)

As I said, I'm not good enough to do it on command, so I would not claim it as an example of my shooting prowess. I am closer to a .8 - 1.2 moa shooter...but am improving quite a bit based on what I am learning here.

Rather, this is what you can potentially accomplish when you have excellent equipment, and the Sako is definitely in that category. Mine is an out of the box TRG-42 and had about 300 rounds through it at the time of the picture. I cannot say how well the Savage shoots having never put my mitts on one, someone else will have to testify to that, but the price/performance point of the TRG's make them a VERY attractive option IMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: yogibear187</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just trg vs moded Remington is no brainier
smile.gif
</div></div>

Apparently it is no <span style="font-style: italic">brainier</span>.

Josh </div></div>

The irony is so ironic, or some other word that ends in "ronic."