• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 comparisons

cowbuyu

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2009
S.W. Michigan, USA
I know that there are very few out yet, and they are not yet proven, but has anyone here had a chance to wring out one of the new 98Bravo rifles from Barrett yet, and had a chance to compare it side by side with any of the more popular rifles like the AW or the TRG in .338 Lapua?
I've been eyeing all three as well as a couple of the custom built rifles.

Re: .338 comparisons

Thank you, I've read everything I can turn up on the .338, including the article you linked to which was great BTW. But other than one review of the Barrett 98B under poor weather conditions, I can't find much. I can't find anything comparing it side by side with the AW or TRG.
I did call Barrett after reading about the mag feed problems and bolt knob coming off and the guy I spoke to there told me that a few early guns had the mag feed problem but that it had been cleared up, and that the bolt knobs are ment to be replacable with anything you feel like screwing onto the standard threads on the end of it. He also told me that the barrel was a 1 in 10 and designed to shoot the 300 grain bullets with the most long range accuracy, but it shot the lighter weights very well also. He also observed that he had fired both the AW and the Barrett, and that the recoil from the Barrett was much easier on him, which makes me think that could be from the difference in the design of the muzzle brake between the rifles. That is another reason why I would really like to read about a side by side shoot off.

Re: .338 comparisons

It will be hard press to find something that has all three makers together for comparison. The problem with that is there is only one winner. Like I was told second place winner is first place looser. There are only few possibilities. One is with some kind of gov. agency testing, the other is private/individuals with all three rifles. Anyway, it is certainly a good to know which really performs "under the guns".