• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 edge build ?'s/opinions

TEAMSENDIT

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    whidbey island
    so hear is the deal I have a lawton 7000 ss long action with magnum boltface, I also have a fulley adjustable hs precision stock to mate it to. My rifle smith just got in the 338 edge reamer and I think I am going to go for it.

So what I need from you guys is experiences and opinions on the 338 edge or like calibers. I need to choose barrel length, contour,twist, and which muzzle brake to use. I also need to know what bottom metal setup would be best. recommedations on what type and were to get the reloading supplies would also be helpful.

thanks in advance, I trust my fellow hiders more than anybody else.

scott

Re: 338 edge build ?'s/opinions

Just box up all of your components and send them to Jared Joplin.

I have an EDGE and if I knew then what I know now, I would have just went with the 338 Lapua and would have had Jared build it.

End of story.

Just make sure that your 'smith tightens your barrel BEFORE he finishes the rifle and ships it to you!

would you mind going into more detail on why lapua instead of edge. did you have a bad experience with another smith?

thanks scott

I love my 338Edge,shoots better than me. Mines a 28" fluted Mike Rock,300gr. SMK with 92gr. of H1000 does the trick. I've got Redding Dies, The 300RUM brass is almost at every gunshow I've been too lately,though the prices went up a bit. Midway should be able to set you up with almost everything.
    Guns1039.jpg

Guns984.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would you mind going into more detail on why lapua instead of edge. did you have a bad experience with another smith?

thanks scott </div></div>

My smith suggested the 338 Edge tonight,said since he's doing yours,asked if I want one too.Don't know if the 700 Remmy LA is long enough for a repeater in this.

Scottx88,what twist rate are you using?Also,any special mods to the throat?Diggler and I use the same smith,and both our actions are there,he is just waiting for the go-ahead.

I had an EDGE, but made the mistake of selling it. In the process of building another, instead of a 338 Lapua. Going with a 28" barrel will not hurt your velocity to much. However, I am building mine on a 30" Krieger. Use a Wyatt magbox, and have your smith install it by milling out the back of the receiver about .110 thousands. Or go with a Seekins bottom metal. I think the mag allows 3.90 COAL.

I have an Edge and wouldn't trade it. Mine has a 28" Lilja, #7 contour, 1 in 10" twist. Manners MCS-T stock, Wyatt extended magwell. Remmy 700 stainless. I use 300SMK over 90.5 gns of H-1000. Tried the Nosler brass, but it wasn't worth the extra money. The brake was made by the smith who put it together, Kirby Allen. Couldn't be happier with it. Will shoot in the .3's if I do my part.

starting to salivate have any of you tried the bore tech v3 245gr bullets or the similar leheigh bullets? I don't think I spelled that right but you know what I mean. with a bc of .86 at 245gr that thing would go forever.

thanks for the info keep it coming.

You guys are a bad influence,this thing sounds like the ticket for LR hunting,I went in the shop after Diggler left and Ron said it would be just as easy to make two at the same time.

ADAMSRIFLE1.jpg

Lawton 7500 single shot
    Rock 1-9.4 twist 30"
    Jewel Trigger
    Badger Bottom Metal ( the mag well makes a nifty compartment for ear plugs and drop chart)
    MCM A-5 Desert Camo
    NXS 5.5-22X50 NP-R1
    NXS UL Rings
    Lawton 20 MOA rail

Test target (the one above) was shot @ 300 yds (supposedly)

My target below was shot @ 200 yards off a bench using my bipod and rear bag.

P3040711.jpg

Well I was all giddy when I first got the rifle.

I put a couple hundred rounds thru the thing trying to get it to shoot anywhere near what the guy that built it did on the test target (trying different powder charges, OAL, different lots of primers).

I took the rifle apart to check the bedding and what not and for some reason decided to just give the barreled action a twist while I had it in my hands and the fracking barrel spun loose! Well I was shocked. WTF! No wonder I was having no luck getting the damn thing to shoot. With the barrel snapped back hand tight and put back in the stock you could not begin to even twist the barrel loose. But there was enough slack when firing a round that was causing the problem. I was having failure to fire situations as well.

I sent the barreled action back (because that's all the guy wanted me to send, why wouldn't he want the whole thing back to give it all the once over?) and he set the barrel back and re-chambered it and sent it back. When I got it back the chamber was not throated how I originally had him do it. I originally had the chamber throated so that the bearing surface/boat tail junction was at the neck/shoulder junction, but now the bullets are seated almost 1/4" shorter than before. Well I didn't feel like sending the thing back again so I am shooting it as is.

I know that everyone is allowed a slip up now and then, but don't most 'smiths have a check list for every stage of the build to keep things like this from happening? Shouldn't he have double checked his work? When I was going over the build spec's with him, he assured me that this would be one of the most dependable and accurate rifles that I had ever owned.

As far as wishing I had went the 338 Lapua .... well you have the option of using factory ammo if need be. You have a much stronger piece of brass to work with, and you don't have to do any neck stretching.

I felt that going with the EDGE would be cheaper on my wallet but in the whole scheme of things it wasn't.

But since you have the receiver already, you are pretty much set to go with the EDGE.

Oh, one more thing. If you have not ordered your stock yet, get it with the KMW adj cheek hardware. Balls to the wall tough and you only need to loosen ONE screw to move the cheek piece. I learned this after I had this rifle built. Now ALL of my precision rifles will have the KMW hardware.

Blackburn, you have a shooter if Kirby built yours. He does top notch work.

Hi if you are going to have the standard Rem length mag box the 338 Edge will not work as well as it can in an extenden mag, The Lawton 700 is not easy to make work with extended mag boxes because the side bolt release is not designed to be ground off like the rem one is. I had to machine the slot int he action slightly and modify my bolt stop. if you can and dont have the action already i would see if i would be able to change it to a Lawton 8500 inleted for a seekins mag system then you can run a Wyats extended mag system. otherwise you will be able to run any standard Rem Mag mag system on it including the standard length magnum detachable mag systems.

The 338 edge is a great round and will do anything the Lapua will so go for it.

Here's the specs on mine:

30" Hart fluted 1-10 twist
    338 EDGE
    Wyatts box mag
    Defensive Edge brake
    Defensive Edge cheekpiece
    Defensive Edge oversized bolt knob
    Snakeskin camo
    Tubb lug
    Nightforce 20 MOA base
    Nightforce LW rings
    Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 50 NPR2
    Teflon Coyote brown finish on metal

Built by Shawn Carlock and its an awesome shooter! Here's me shooting it at a match:

IMG_0090.JPG

And here's a picture of it when it was newly finished:

JONES%20338%20EDGE.jpg

well I ordered the barrel today 30" 10twist 1.200 to .900 at the muzzle with 10 flute 3/16" flutes with a center shot rifles muscle brake.

should I go with the box mag or dbm? opinions/experiences?

I'm running the Wyatt's box in my Edge. Works very well.
    I built mine mainly as a hunting rifle so weight was a concern.
    I went with a 28" Lilja Sendero contour barrel. My buddy was shooting his Edge with a 30" tube and had noticed zero velocity gain.
    It is a hell of a round and if your wanting one built, do it. You'll like it!
    SANY0409.jpg

OK guys,just gave the final approval on mine,28" Sendero Contour with 6 flutes,Muscle Brake,and ordered Wyatts BM today.Trying to save a little weight as this one is mainly for killing critters at ESL.

Who has Dies for these?I don't see them listed at Redding or a couple of other sites.Also need bullets,Midway only has the 300 SMK in a 500 Pack.

Redding lists the dies as a 338/300 ultra mag. It is in their custom die series. Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge also has the dies.

Here is a group out of mine checking it out for hunting season.

groups002.jpg

dude that is sick, benchmark told me mine would be ready for elk hunting season here hopefully I will have enough time to practice with it.

slight change I am know going with a fat bastard brake and believe it or not I am building it on a savage target action, yes short action single shot. it will eject spent casings just not loaded rounds those you will have to hand unload. i figure it's not that big of deal since I will be only shooting it past 800yds. do you guys think I should get a 20moa base or a 30 or 40moa? i will be either mounting my uso sn3, st10, or nxs 3.5x15.

I weighed the barrel action and stock before fluting and it was almost exactly 14 pounds so it should be right at 15pounds with scope rings base, does this seem reasonable?

looking forward to your opinions and I will have pics next week when it is finished.

everything sounds good minus the short action....
    You will get tired of having to hand pull those loaded rounds out.

it will be a bummer being a short action but realistically I will only be able to shoot it 4-5 times a year and it saves me over $1000 versus the lawton build. so at least now it will only cost 2500 instead 3500 plus.

i am not sure what you would like me to call you about and I don't have your number but I am always willing to talk about long range rifles so give me your info? you can email me you number [email protected]

thanks

If you use a remington donor action are there any modifications that have to be made to run either the wyatt or the seekins box or mag? I assume you are using the 338 lapua box for the seekins? I have a DBM 300 weatherby mag 700 would the 338 feed from the remington 300 weatherby dbm magazine?
    AHA
    Rad

Do you think it would work on an AICS and Stiller Tac300 long action?
    Magasine Will take a maximum length of 3.6".
    Is it long enough?
    Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scottx88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1/9.4 Nothing else special,mine was chambered with a 338RUM reamer,and head-spaced to a 300RUM. </div></div>

I am still learning so bear with me.

I have a savage in 300 ultra mag that I was going to build into a long range gun. I bought a prechambered/threaded barrel in 338RUM.

Are you saying I could headspace on a 300RUM when I install it and have myself a EDGE??

no that will not work because the edge is a bigger case and the ass end would be sticking out and bad things would happen, however you could have it reamed out and then headspace.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no that will not work because the edge is a bigger case and the ass end would be sticking out and bad things would happen, however you could have it reamed out and then headspace. </div></div>

That is what I thought but Scottx88 had me a little confused

I don't think the Savage short action is such a good idea. I see where you are coming from, but have you considered how you will extract a live round that you changed your mind about shooting? If I understand you correctly, it will extract an empty shell, but not a live round, as it would be too long. You can load it by hand, but the extractor will grip the case head and not allow you to remove the live round the same way it went in. Maybe I'm not fully understanding you, but this sounds like a bad idea.

you just have to remove the bolt like on a 50bmg, not a big deal. in both target shooting and long range hunting their isn't really a time issue in removing loaded rounds. i am picking it up this weekend I will post pics and you can judge for yourself.

After reading about the edge i'm thinking i would like to try a custom build. Looking in the gun cabinet i see a pre 64 winchester in 300 win mag. and mcmillian stock It never has shot as well as i thought it should and was considering a change anyway . Is there any issues with putting a new barrel on this action??thanks elton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: arkrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading about the edge i'm thinking i would like to try a custom build. Looking in the gun cabinet i see a pre 64 winchester in 300 win mag. and mcmillian stock It never has shot as well as i thought it should and was considering a change anyway . Is there any issues with putting a new barrel on this action??thanks elton </div></div>

If it's an unaltered pre 64 M70 it probably has a premium collectors value as is.

Maybe enough to buy a new custom rifle after the sale?

Steve

very nice I have my rifle but my bolt is the only thing I am waiting on I needed a new firing pin. pics coming soon.

got bolt today fired first load with it 1 sighter and then 3 shots into a little clover leaf, I can cover all three with a nickel and it recoiled like a 308. however this thing has the power to kill a deer at a mile with the 300gr smk I am shooting. i am a new level of excited. i am going to try and take it out past 1000yds this weekend and should have some pics to follow.

finally pics it has been done for awhile, but it was worth the wait. thank you Benchmark Barrels 360 652-2594 for a fantastic rifle that shoots unreal. 1/2moa with everyload tried but one.

IMGP6378.jpg

IMGP6377.jpg

Nice pics... but you should have taken some up where we were shooting last time... You could definately hear the difference between that thing smaking rocks at 850 and... well, pretty much everything else.

we will see what it does to the steel this coming weeked at 1000yds and hopefully all the way to 1600yds. Maybe I will get lucky and find a coyote out their.

New to the site here,
    Great looking rifle. I am going to do the same project except with a savage long action from my 300 wm.

Darrin

sweet deal you will love it, and I don't know what a 338 jarret is mine is a 338 edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we will see what it does to the steel this coming weeked at 1000yds and hopefully all the way to 1600yds. Maybe I will get lucky and find a coyote out their. </div></div>

I especially look forward to clay pigeons at 1000.... hopefully we have some decent conditions.