• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge Build

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
I've been ordering parts and planning a 338 Edge build since late December. Just waiting on the barrel at this point, which should come soon. I wanted to share some quick details of the build, and I'll update the thread after it's done, and then again with range reports.

I originally planned on using a Rem700 action that I had from my Sendero II. After looking into some aftermarket 700 foot print actions, I opted to sell the Remington and snag a Surgeon RLR. This made a lot of sense to me... I sold my Rem700 barreled action (with Badger rail) for $525. Truing the action would have been $250, which would have meant (in essence) a $775 action. I was able to buy the Surgeon for $850 with their 20 MOA rail. The extra features of the Surgeon (and just a custom action in general), were well worth the extra $75 to me!

I ordered a Krieger barrel in December, with an estimated delivery of 4/30/10. Long story short, somehow they lost my order at Krieger. I called after the estimated delivery date and was told it would be at least another 6 weeks. That wasn't acceptable to me so I called Rock Creek and ordered up one of theirs. At this point I'm kinda glad it went down that way. The folks at Rock have been very courteous and helpful during our few phone conversations. I should have the barrel within a couple weeks, and it's the last piece I'm waiting on for the build.

Quick specs:

-McM A5 – Swirl: 50% OD, 25% Med Tan, 25% Black (although this one has WAY more tan than my HTG which is the same color specs).

-Seekins 338 DBM. This seemed like the obvious choice given the long COAL it allows.

-APA Fat Bastard brake. Just a BEAST of a brake!

-Rock Creek MTU contour, 30” finish length with heavy flutes. 1 / 9.4 twist.

-Surgeon RLR with their 20 MOA rail and KMW knob.

I'll probably go for an older Rem trigger or maybe a Rifle Basix. LA Precision Rifles (wnroscoe) is doing the build!
grin.gif

I just picked up the Surgeon RLR today... here's some quick pics of what I've got:

DSCN0231.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0236.jpg

DSCN0237.jpg

DSCN0238.jpg

The action (obviously) isn't all put together in those pics. The action came with several small bags containing bolt stop / firing pin / extractor / rail / etc.

I figure all said and done it will be about 54" long and 17-18 pounds (SWAG). I plan on keeping the barreled action a matte stainless... no coating. Not sure on optics yet. Maybe a Viper PST 6-24 if they're out by the time it's done and reviews are favorable.

This is my first full custom rifle... needless to say I'm pretty stoked about it. Hopefully it will be off to wnroscoe in a couple weeks. I'll update as it comes along...

Re: 338 Edge Build

Loving that stock color as well!
And that brake looks f'ing huge!

the brake is big but works great I had one on my last 338 edge and it recoiled between a 308 and 30-06. you will love this combo, i missed mine so am currently building another one also on a surgeon rlr they are hard to beat for the money.

The surgeon actions i was considering but what stopped me is to the best of my knowledge they dont make a left hand action and of course since im a lefty id rather have a left hand action.

It all looks great AJ. Should be a shooter for sure. I used the Fat Bastard Brake on a 338LM build and recoil is non-existent. Bullet impacts are visible at 950 yards in the scope as well.

Good move on the receiver, money well spent and saved.

You better get a really good target stand for shooting that bad boy. Nice move on the surgeon action should be a monster when william is done with it. Can wait to get behind it a fire a couple off when its done.

Mac

I can't wait to see it finished. Hopefully you will see your barrel soon.

I don't think it will be as heavy as you think,I'm running a R700LA with Factory BM,28" fluted MTU,McM A5 fully adjustable and it comes in at a hair over 12 pounds without optics.Like Diggler said,the recoil is not bad at all with the fat bastard brake.

That thing is going to be a hammer. Can't wait to see it once you have it finished.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Roscoe just sent me some pics of the Edge...

338E1.jpg

338E6.jpg

338E4.jpg

338E3.jpg

338E5.jpg

338E2.jpg

Man oh man I'm stoked! It's nice to see it after imagining it for the better part of a year. It's going to be a long week waiting for it to get here and pull the trigger on it! Range report to follow.
grin.gif

Nice build. Can't wait to see how it shoots. I am thinking of going down that same road with the 338 edge or 338 ax. I think I am going to try the Big Horn Action. With the backwards angle cut of the brake does it blast the shooter at all?

WOWEEE that is one sick rifle now to see the range reports. Also may I ask what it will be topped off with?

I can't wait to do a 338 build. It kills just seeing this. Great looking rifle and good pick with that Action definitely worth the $75. Can't wait to see it when it's done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinkMiST aG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOWEEE that is one sick rifle now to see the range reports. Also may I ask what it will be topped off with? </div></div>

Leupold VX3 LR/T 6.5-20. I have it on hand and it will be going up to Beaverton for M5 knobs and a TMR once they start doing the M5 retrofits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> With the backwards angle cut of the brake does it blast the shooter at all? </div></div>

From what I've read, not at all, but I don't have any personal experience with it yet. I assume it'll be very similar to the brake on my Barrett M99 which is angled back like that. The shooter has a cone of protection, but the spotter is well advised to scoot back a bit
wink.gif

Nice stick! I really like the color combo in that stock. +1 for what scope your gona put on it

I'm not going to lie... I'm nervous to spot for you with that brake. Looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you score that action? </div></div>

Got it through the equipment exchange here. More accurately, Paul at Rock Creek was selling one, and diggler44 beat me to it (bastard!). Paul put me in touch with a 'smith who had one he was willing to sell at the same price though. Really glad I went that route... side bolt release, one piece fluted bolt, pinned recoil lug, pinned base (with the larger 8x36 screws), M16 extractor, all for less than $100 more than I would have had invested in the Rem700. No brainer really IMO.

Well I finally got it! Here's some pics:

338-1.jpg

338-5.jpg

338-2.jpg

338-3.jpg

338-4.jpg

Recoil is very very manageable. I had heard / read the Fat Bastard brake worked well, but wow, it really works well! I don't know what I would equate it to... maybe a typical 308 with no brake. The recoil that is there feels like more of a push than a punch, which is nice. Short video of one of my buddies shooting it:

I started with 92 gr of H1000 behind a 300 SMK. It averaged about 2750ish, which seems slow for that combo from the reading I've done. I had zero pressure signs there so I intend to work up slowly. I'd love to find a good accuracy load at about 2850 FPS.

It is having some sort of extractor issue at this point. It won't chamber a round from the magazine, acting like the extractor doesn't have enough clearance to snap over the case rim. However, it also isn't extracting all the time, and when it does it rarely pulls them back all the way and flips them out. After talking it over with Roscoe some it sounds like it could be some sort of issue with the extractor or bolt. Whatever the case I hope to have it up and running by the end of the week. Only 10 days until I leave for elk season!

With my initial load (Rem brass, 92 gr H1000, CCI 250, 300 SMK @ 3.90") rounds 6-10 went into less than 3/4". Today I shot out to 500 and managed a 3.5" 5 shot group. I've no doubt that with a little load tweaking and getting the extractor issue fixed (that way I won't have to pull the bolt to chamber a round each time), the groups will shrink up some more.

Hey thanks for the report.

I am really think of getting ether the Edge or the 338ax. Its nice to see when someone has just gone down the road that I am wanting to take. Do you have to have a extra long action? Or will a normally rem long action work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey thanks for the report.

I am really think of getting ether the Edge or the 338ax. Its nice to see when someone has just gone down the road that I am wanting to take. Do you have to have a extra long action? Or will a normally rem long action work? </div></div>

What's an "extra long" action? A Rem long action will work just fine.

A standard long action mag bolt face Remington or custom will work. On a Remington the mag port will have to be lengthened out by about .110" is all. The Surgeon RLR would need the same. The Stiller predator is already cut for it, and the Defiance actions can be specified with whatever inlet you need.

Surprises me you are having extraction/ejection problems. I have built alot of Edges and none of them failed to eject or extract. It may be a possibility that the counterbore isn't large enough to allow the extractor to snap over the case...although I am sure Roscoe checked that first.

Forgot to add... 15.5 lbs as pictured with optics and bipod (empty mag). That's actually a couple pounds lighter than I was thinking it would end up. I figured the 30" MTU, FB brake, sniper fill A5, etc, would get me into the 17-18 lb range when it was all said and done. I still don't really intend to pack it far, but I dont think it would be too bad!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmAM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A standard long action mag bolt face Remington or custom will work. On a Remington the mag port will have to be lengthened out by about .110" is all. The Surgeon RLR would need the same. The Stiller predator is already cut for it, and the Defiance actions can be specified with whatever inlet you need.

Surprises me you are having extraction/ejection problems. I have built alot of Edges and none of them failed to eject or extract. It may be a possibility that the counterbore isn't large enough to allow the extractor to snap over the case...although I am sure Roscoe checked that first.</div></div>

I would bet the counterbore is the problem or the extractor not grabbing enough rim. benchmark had to mill the m16 extractor on my surgeon rlr to get it to work and after the had to increase the counterbore so the extractor had enough room to pivot.

I think this was an issue with early surgeon rlr's mine was serial number 5. afterwards it functioned great just took alittle work. kinda a pain to have to work on a custom action but it happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diggler44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would bet the counterbore is the problem or the extractor not grabbing enough rim. benchmark had to mill the m16 extractor on my surgeon rlr to get it to work and after the had to increase the counterbore so the extractor had enough room to pivot.

I think this was an issue with early surgeon rlr's mine was serial number 5. afterwards it functioned great just took alittle work. kinda a pain to have to work on a custom action but it happens. </div></div>

That's funny, mine is number 6! It sounds like the issue is both on mine as well. The extractor isn't grabbing the rim at all hardly. Out of the 33 rounds I have down range with it (manually pulling the bolt and feeding it back in with a round on), about 10 didn't even come out of the chamber, another 10 only pulled back an inch or so before slipping out of the extractor, and the others pulled all the way back but then just kicked off into the mag well not ejecting. I can push a round onto the bolt face and pull it back off without even touching the extractor really. Seems like it's just sitting way too high.

I'm shipping the bolt to Surgeon to address the extractor issue, and the barreled action back to Roscoe to increased the bolt nose clearance. They've both been great to work with so far. Hope to have everything back and up and running by Friday!
eek.gif

The problems with Adams rifle are as follows.

#1. Either the mini M-16 extractor or extractor cut in the bolt is out of spec. Stephen at Surgeon told me they would address the issue and return the bolt the same day. That’s why I continue to do business with them, they rock.

#2. I cut the bolt nose recess diameter to .710" and not .785" as Stephen said it needed to be. .705” to .710” is a standard bolt nose recess diameter and is what I cut. Until now, I hadn’t had a problem with any of Mini M-16 or Badger Extractors, even on a 300WM with a .705/.707” bolt nose recess. This is the first time I've had an extractor block me like this..................My bad for not checking closer
blush.gif

I hate that Adam is having these problems but, the issues will be fast tracked and the rifle returned ASAP. I try to machine to an absolute minimum clearance and have extremely high standards for myself where that’s concerned. Once I receive the rifle I'll re-machine the bolt nose recess to .785" and ship it to get there by no later than Friday. Adam has an Elk hunt scheduled and I'm so looking forward to pictures of such.

I told Adam to call me with his shipping charges once the rifle is in transit and a refund for such would be mailed out. Sorry for the inconvenience Adam, this will soon be just a memory.

Hopefully, I’ll only be judged by the way we’re handling this.

shit happens it how u handle it that defines you (which you are doing a great job with by the way). on the bright side i don't think anybody doubts your abilities or customer service. Nobody is perfect, i hope i didn't come across wrong on my post.

William,

I hope they crucify you... and you loose business. At least then my projects on the horizon will get bumped to the front.
grin.gif

Been thinking of a Badger Magnum Action nestled into an AICS. in .338LM

William's good GTG and stands behind all his work.. even if you have call him and have him walk you through galled threads and how to chase them.
wink.gif

It's cool, no problem. I wasn’t referring to any one post or person. Your name just came up at the top of my post as the natural order of things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocador</div><div class="ubbcode-body">William's good GTG and stands behind all his work.. even if you have call him and have him walk you through galled threads and how to chase them.
wink.gif

</div></div>

Just for the record, the therads were on the money and looked like a million bucks when they left here
wink.gif

Glad you got it going your way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cocador</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just glad you were only a phone call away. </div></div>

Safty Net
wink.gif
Glad I could help.

Just in case I didn't stress it enough, allow me to quote myself:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AJBello</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm shipping the bolt to Surgeon to address the extractor issue, and the barreled action back to Roscoe to increased the bolt nose clearance. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">They've both been great to work with so far.</span> </span></span></div></div>

As has been said, shit happens. Both Roscoe and Surgeon are dealing with it impeccably. Both will have my business again (at least once the funds recover from this build!
wink.gif
).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...
Adam has an Elk hunt scheduled and I'm so looking forward to pictures of such.
... </div></div>

Don't get your hopes up too high for those trophy pics! Thanks to shitty staffing at work I can only hunt two days out of the four day season. I'll give 'em hell for the two though!
grin.gif

Here's a couple pics I snapped of the bolt / extractor before I shipped it off this morning. The extractor is getting such a small bite on the case rim you can literally put a case head straight onto the bolt face and pull it straight off with <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">BARELY</span></span> touching the extractor. It's my only RLR so I can't say how it should normally look, but I don't see how it could possibly function with it the way it is, even if it weren't for the bolt nose clearance issue... :

DSCN0964.jpg

DSCN0965.jpg

Anyhow, looking forward to getting it back and running smooth.

Update: Just got a call from Steven at Surgeon. They already got the bolt, fixed the issue, and are shipping it back overnight. Apparently the extractor recess cut was 10 thousandths too shallow, which translated into the extractor being about 20 thousandths too high. He said a few of them made it out that way, although they thought they already had them all accounted for. Just info for anyone else who experiences extraction issues with an early RLR.

VERY pleased with the service. Obviously it would be better to not have the issue in the first place, but shit happens and it just doesn't get any better than this when it does. Kudos to Surgeon!

The rifle made it here today at 1530 hrs. I opened the bolt nose recess from .710" to .785".

The change was made, rifle boxed back up and headed home by 1615 hrs. It'll be there by Friday ready for more weekend steel banging.

I made it up to the hills today to shoot at some distance. Shot it from 700-900 yards and we were getting first round hits on MOA sized targets (rocks). That's all the farther we shot it today... can't wait to shoot it a bit further. This was with using a Kestrel, "Shooter" ballistics on my DroidX, and running the loads over a CED chrony yesterday. On one rock at 760 yards, we stacked three consecutive shots on it that were darn near touching.

I settled on 93.5 grains of H1000, which gave 1" five shot groups at 200 yards yesterday. That was with a 2-8 mile per hour wind coming across the range from 3 o'clock. Probably 70% of the spread in those groups was horizontal, so I'm thinking on a calmer day they would tighten up a bit more even. Haven't played with seating depth at all yet, just tested from 92-94 grains of H1000 in .5 grain jumps. Haven't messed with changing any of the components, nor do I plan to at this point. I'm running this load for now. Quite happy with how it's performing! Here are a couple of pics from today:

110710_1.jpg

110710_2.jpg

The rifle is also feeding / extracting / ejecting flawlessly at this point. Both Roscoe and Surgeon turned the parts around the same day and had them back to me as promised. I'm happy.
grin.gif

How awesome is it to use a companies product and have a smith that stand behind their stuff and want to make sure their customers are happy? Glad this turned out to be and excellent experience for you. I have been watching this thread and would be lying if i said i expected anything else from those two!

^ wow nice I have been thinking of an edge build for some time
your making me want one even more

that is some nice work

.Dave

You do know that the Elk are going to scratch you off their Christmas card list don’t you?

William builds a great rifle, and customer service is second to none.

Nice gun and all. The most impressive thing about this thread is the customer service.