• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 EDGE dies BEWARE

selfbowhunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2006
TEXAS
on another topic, highridge1 suggested using a set of 300RUM dies with the proper bushing to size 338 EDGE brass. i advised him that i did not think it would work but he stated he has used one for some time with no issues. i got a 300RUM type S die from redding and a .365 bushing. the 300RUM type S die will size the brass to about .345 WITHOUT a bushing in it. DO NOT buy a 300RUM bushing die and expect to use it for a 338 EDGE without the neck being opened up. COSTLY MISTAKE!

chuck

Re: 338 EDGE dies BEWARE

Shawn Carlock sells edge dies and his set inncludes a 300 RUM sizer.

BUT, as you have pointed out......... its been reamed out.

Just send your die out and have it opened up. You also should have bought the 338 seater die as well.

What's 20 thou of neck tension, LOL. JLC precision can open it up for you.

It's not a costly mistake, expand the neck with a tapered expander ball and use the die.I use a 338 ultra seating die to seat my bullets.

highridge,

why would i want to use a bushing die with an expander button and who in the hell wants to work their brass down .030 and expand it back up anyway? you have little understanding of reloading dies i think. i have already opened the neck up with a carbide boring bar and the die is working fine now. i too use a 338RUM seating die but that has NOTHING to do with this issue. DO NOT advise anyone else to buy an expensive 300RUM bushing die to use for the EDGE. they would end up having to send it off and have the neck opened up for it to work properly.

chuck

Guess you are new to reloading,enough of the smart ass comments.If you know so much don't go to the internet for advice!

why dont you enlighten all of us reloading rookies as to why you think the 300RUM bushing die works so well "as is" without being modified in the neck? your bushing NEVER even touches the case neck since the die neck is .020 smaller already. i guess in all of your wisdom you have concluded that this is the ideal situation! IT DOES NOT WORK. YOU got on another thread to tell eveyone how a 300RUM die works so well without being modified. I advised that i did not think it would work. it was not my question and as a matter of fact, here is my original answer to the question:

"using the 338 ultra mad dies backed out will work but you will quickly get a click at the top of the bolt cycle. this is due to the .090 or so of the case that NEVER gets sized. i chucked up a 300 ultra die and opened the necked area so it does nothing to the brass. but it does full length size the rest of the case with .002 shoulder set back. if you dont have access to a lathe, you will have to live with the brass issues or fork over BIG money for edge dies. for those of you who are thinking of using the 300 RUM bushing dies with the proper bushing, think again. i was told by two very reliable sources that it will not work. i wasnt going to take a chance with a $75 die. in any case, you will love the edge and find that you CAN NOT get more performance for the money. remington brass has been going 8 loads before the primers fall out. 1-10 rock 6-groove shoots the 300SMK just fine."

here is what you added to the post:"I have a set of redding 300 ultra bushing dies with a 365 bushing and it loads my 338 edge just fine.No alterations were done to the die.I have also heard it won't work,but it has been just fine."

it was your post that led my to buy the 300RUM bushing die. i ASSUMED you knew what you were talking about. now i think it is clear that you have little understanding of these things and you shouldnt advised people to spend their money on something that IS NOT RIGHT.

this is not a pissing match between you and i. i simply dont want anyone else to buy a 300RUM bushing die and find they have to send it off to make it work PROPERLY.

chuck

+1 for JLC, I had him mod my non-bushing Redding 300 Rum FL sizer, opening it up and allow for the use of neck bushings. Total cost $45.00. I have had JLC do mod two other dies for neck bushing, he does good work at a reasonable price.

wade

If it doesn't work how in the world am I doing it and getting outstanding groups??? The .365 bushing gives you the correct neck tension. As the case goes into the die the tapered expander ball opens it up to .338 for new brass. How is this confusing? I am not the only one that loads 338 edge with redding 300 ultra bushing dies that are unaltered just with with changed parts..It does work period.How in the hell did I shoot 4 shots into 1/2 at 200 yards last week if it doesn't work? I know other guys loading the edge the same way with great results. What are you even talking about when you say the bushing doesn't even touch the neck??? Yes a .365 bushing does size the neck.....

i tried to be civil with you but you are an idiot. i did not say it would not load ammuntion. i said it did not work PROPERLY! the die WITHOUT A BUSHING IN IT sizes the brass down to .345 or so. a .365 bushing NEVER touches the neck of the case. you are sizing the brass down to .345 and then opening it back up with an expander button coming OUT of the die which has nothing to do with your .365 neck bushing. talk about overworking the brass! if you cant understand what is taking place, you have no business loading ammo. take your mic or calipers if you have any and measure the neck of a piece of brass that is sized in the die WITHOUT the decapping pin, expander, OR BUSHING in it and report back with the number. do the same with the decapping pin and the .365 bushing in it but without the expander (your die came with another button that keeps the decapping pin in but never touches the neck) and report back with that number as well. perhaps then YOU will UNDERSTAND what is happening. THE TWO NUMBERS WILL BE THE SAME because it is the neck of the die and not the bushing that is sizind the brass. if you are using an expander button, it is setting your neck tension to a degree regarless to what the neck is sized to prior to pulling it over the button on the way out of the die. I AM WAITING ON YOUR NUMBERs.........

chuck

Chuck,

Your right! All someone has to do is mic them and post pics.
If you want any more tech info just call Robin at Redding. He is a great guy and would love to put this to rest.

I have shot .3's at 200 with my Edge with the proper dies so the proof has nothing to do with the dies. Its simple math.

I would also recommend using the Redding 300/338 dies that they make now. I looked at my dies (that a notable smith had reamed for the Edge) with a bore scope and I am not impressed. It would be better to have them sized properly before they are hardened. I talked with Redding about their hardening process and it would only make sense to just buy the dies from them already sized properly.

selfbowhunter, I shot 4 shots at 200 yards into one ragged hole ,Many guys are loading the edge with redding 300 ultra dies.If you knew so dam much you sure wouldn't need advice on the internet now would you??????I don't need a pissing match with some internet jackass, so have fun with your edge and have a wonderful summer... Maybe just use rcbs 338 ultra dies and back them off,so it won't make you soil your f-ckin panties!

highridge1,

i am probably not qualified to tell you how stupid you are so maybe someone else can do it for me. i also dont care what kind of groups you are shooting it doesnt make the dies right. i didnt "know so damn much" until i bought the dies and tried them. then i had to fix them. i am not going to try to explain anything else to you because you obviously dont care but other people deserve to know what they are getting before they spend their money. a courtesy you seem to care nothing about. where is your neck diameter measurements? not smart enough to understand what is being said?

chuck