• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge / H1000 Pressure Woes

AJBello

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Salem, OR
Having some major headaches with my 338 Edge and finding a new load with H1000… I wanted to share my results to reinforce the warning that newer H1000 appears to be hotter, and get some feedback on a couple points…

When I first had the rifle made it had a little longer throat, around 3.970” COAL to touch the lands with a 300 SMK. At that time, and with older lots of H1000, I was loading 93.5 grains of H1000 with really no pressure signs. At 150 rounds I had the barrel set back just enough to rechamber with a shorter throat. It is now about 3.920” COAL to the lands with a 300 SMK (.098” freebore I’m told).
Got the rifle back, read all over about the newer lots of H1000 being hotter. Went and bought some, and loaded one round each at 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 of H1000 (should have loaded more at each, oh well). The rest of the load specs: Rem brass, 300 SMK, CCI 250, 3.890” COAL (about .030” jump) . My chrono gave me the following velocities:
90 – 2802, 91 – 2810, 92 – 2856, 93 – 2898, 94 – 2909

I noted some pressure signs at 93 and 94. I don’t recall any stiff bolt lift, just some primer flattening and ejector marks. The one round of 92.0 looked good, and 2850 was more or less my goal so I loaded 20 more at that. Shot those with ½ MOA 5 round groups and no major pressure signs that I recall now. Some partial primer flattening but no stiff bolt or ejector marks that I remember seeing. Conditions that day were: temp – 48, humid – 72, baro – 29.90, dens alt – 600.

Thinking I was good to go with that load, I loaded 40 more and went out a week later to shoot at distance. I didn’t record exact conditions that day (damn it), but it was about 15 degrees warmer and 1500 feet higher in elevation. At around round 9 or 10 or so I had a stiff bolt. Looked at it and noticed the primer pierced. “Huh, that’s weird” I thought. Looked at the first 8 or so cases and saw some ejector marks. Decided to go ahead and shoot the rest of that batch of 20, and pull the remaining 20 I had loaded at 92.0. In doing so I had another pierced primer. I really doubt the temp / conditions had much to do with it, as H1000 is supposed to be pretty stable…? None of these were chronied and as I recall they weren’t matching up very well with the 2850 number I had put into Shooter based off the initial pressure test rounds.

Dropped the load two whole grains to 90.0, loaded 20 more and went to the range. Still had some ejector marks, partially flat primers, and one pierced primer. Conditions: temp - 64, baro – 29.83, dens alt – 560. None of these were chronied.

Due to the continued pressure signs I dropped the load another two whole grains, to 88.0. Loaded 50 up and went to shoot at distance, thinking there’s no way I could still have pressure there. I ended up still having somewhat flattened primers, some shiny but not raised ejector marks, and on the very last round a pierced primer. Conditions were: temp – 55, baro – 27.82, humid – 90, dens alt – 2500.

Now for what really has me scratching my head at this point. Shooting the 50 rounds at 88.0 yesterday… I put three rounds over the chrony first thing and got: 2733, 2781, 2788. I put 2775 into Shooter and was almost 2 IPHY (NOT MOA) low at just about every range all the way to 1000 yards. In the end the dope I got was: 535 – 9.0 IPHY, 760 – 15.75 IPHY, 870 – 19.0 IPHY, 965 – 22.75 IPHY. Given the conditions I have to put roughly 2875 into Shooter / JBM to get those numbers to line up. I tend to trust the numbers / ballistic programs over my chrony. That velocity would also better explain the continued pressure to me. I read the H1000 got hotter, but damn… 88.0 and 2875 out of an Edge with the 300 SMK???

I’m not sure how to reconcile the results of the first five pressure test rounds and the first 20 at 92.0, with the subsequent pressure at 92, 90, and even 88. It was using the same H1000 (newer stuff), so maybe I just wasn’t paying enough attention on the first 25 (but I sure thought I was). I’m well aware working down from pressure isn’t ideal, and I probably should have dropped WAY down and done ladder testing back up on the first signs of pressure. Normally I do that when developing a load but I already had data for this rifle, albeit with a little longer throat / jump and older lots of H1000. It is what it is…

To summarize:
92: Partially flattened primers, some cratering, some bolt “click”, partially raised ejector marks. Two pierced primers out of 20.
90: Partially flattened primers, partially raised ejector marks. One pierced primer out of 20.
88: Partially flattened primers, shiny but not raised ejector marks. One pierced primer out of 50.

Even at 88.0 of H1000 I’m thinking the load density is getting on the low side. There’s lots of room left in there with the 300 SMK at 3.890”. At this point I’m really leaning towards ditching H1000 altogether and going to Retumbo. I know H1000 used to be nearly the universal favorite for the Edge, but it seems to have become far faster than when everyone was so happy with it for this application.

<span style="font-weight: bold">In the end, my questions are:

Would you trust the chronograph or the real world dope couple with ballistics programs? Which velocity figure better matches up with data of newer lots of H1000 in the Edge?

Ditch the H1000 and go to Retumbo? (seems to be logical to me given all the wasted case capacity with below 88 of H1000) Is Retumbo any more temp sensitive in your experience?

Anyone else had this dramatic of a jump from the old lots / new lots of H1000? Again, I read it got hotter, but I had no idea the jump would be that large. Have the new lots been consistent after the jump?</span>

Here’s a picture at the 88.0 grain load (note the partially flattened primer and the shiny ejector mark over MAG), and a fresh one for reference:

Edge_880_H1000.jpg

Edge_Reference.jpg

Re: 338 Edge / H1000 Pressure Woes

There are several things that could be causing your pressure issues. I am not saying its one specific thing and it could very likely be a fast lot of H-1000 but it could also be several other things.

1. You have not mentioned anything about primer pocket tightness on your fired brass that is showing pressure signs. I would be curious to know how the primer pockets are after these loads. With the velocities your reporting, they should be tight but with the pressure signs your getting, they should be starting to loosen up. If they are still tight, likely what your seeing is "false" pressure signs caused by something else. If they are loosening up, I would recommend going to H-Retumbo. I have used this for years in the 338 Edge rifles I build for my customers. I prefer it over H-1000 simply because it is slower and offers a higher load density. In my opinion, its a better powder choice for the Edge compared to H-1000 as it generally offers a flatter pressure curve, higher load density.

2. What Receiver are you using? If factory, has it been fully accurized? If custom, which one?

3. This could be a slight headspace issue as well. If you have headspace a bit on the loose side, you will see minor flattening on primers even though there is no real pressure problems. This does not explain the heavy bolt lift however but it would account for the flattened primers and possibly the ejector rings on the case head because the brass is being slammed back into the bolt face when fired.

4. To that point, is this new brass that you started with for this new set back barrel? If so, some lots of Rem brass are VERY soft. Seems to becoming more of a problem over the past year or so. Very soft brass will cause many "False" pressure signs but you will also generally see primer pockets opening up very quickly as well.

5. Check to make sure that you can put a bullet through the neck of a fired case. A bullet should pass through a fired neck easily without much force needed at all to push it through. If you do have to apply some pressure to the bullet to pass through the neck, the neck in the chamber is to tight and you need to turn the necks slightly for proper clearance. This can increase pressure dramatically while not showing up on the chrono because it only steepens the pressure spike on ignition but does not extend the pressure curve as the bullet passes down the barrel.

This can happen from a reamer that is used alot and over time, and normal wear, the neck will reduce in diameter. If the reamer was set up as min spec to begin with, it can certainly wear to the point that the neck will be to tight. I just had to replace my 338 Edge reamer for the third time for this exact reason. I usually get 20-25 reaming jobs on each reamer before I start to notice the neck tightening up enough to start to think about replacing the reamer but my reamers are built to pretty tight specs on unturned necks.

6. To that same point, the throat can also be smaller then it should be. Seat a dummy round out to contact the lands. You want to be able to see clear land markings on the ogive of the bullet when chambered. WHen you do this, there should be NO marks on the body of the bullet from a tight throat. At least no heavy marks. If there are, your throat is to tight which will also sharpen the pressure spike and show a false pressure sign. Its for this reason that I have all my reamers made with no throat and I cut the throat with a custom throating reamer for each chamber. Allows me to cut each throat to custom length but it also saves on the throat reamer so this becomes much less of a problem.

In general, here is what I would recommend:

1. Get a new lot of brass.
2. Check to make sure your headspace is right.
3. Check your fired cases to make sure necks are not to tight
4. Get some retumbo and work up with same loads you did with H-1000.

Hope this helps some.

Kirby Allen
ALLEN PRECISION

Hey Kirby, good to see you on SH and thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Let me answer one by one:

1) The pockets did loosen after the H1000 loads. Not totally blown out, but enough that I wouldn't consider the pressure signs "false".

2) Receiver is a Surgeon RLR.

3) The rifle was given a complete physical by a local and well respected 'smith as I also wanted to rule out headspace. He said it looked <span style="font-style: italic">"perfect" </span>, all machine worked looked <span style="font-style: italic">"great"</span>, and there was almost no noticeable wear on the throat at this point (284 rounds). I expected no less as the rifle was built by Louisiana Precision Rifles (wnroscoe on here).

4) The brass was mid 2010 vintage, on its third firing IIRC when I was doing these H1000 loads. FL sized with Defensive Edge Redding dies. Reasonably certain I wasn't sizing them down too much, but I was FL sizing.

5) Check. Very little pressure needed there. The reamer was a brand new PTG Edge reamer with .098" freebore. William ordered it specifically to re-throat my rifle (originally had .148" freebore I think).

6) Check. Just went through that exercise when I got the rifle back, everything looked bueno.

In the end and putting it all together I think it was just a faster lot of H1000. Definitely a new lot of brass needed and I agree that switching to Retumbo makes sense with the apparent new burn rates of the H1000. Thanks again for the reply!

Might be a stupid question but how does the bore look? Is there a carbon ring by chance. I've heard of this causing pressure signs when the load is safe. Like I said may be a stupid thought, but it's one that I had.

Loading cgts. that are too long and chambering into the lands will cause excessive pressure, but most of the guys on here are shooting out of a magazine and that NORMALLY keeps ctg. short enough.

I too am hearing that some of lots of H1000 is showing pressure signs at levels that used to be fine. If you do a search on the long-range hunting site you'll see the discussion. I have looked at my supplies and do not have any of the lots they identify, but it may be worth looking at.

JeffVN

Although I haven't seen any difference in the recent lots of H1000, others have. I known a couple guys that backed off 2-3 grains and were back to normal. Retumbo however seems to be a different burn rate with every lot I get. I generally have to adjust things a couple grains when I switch lots.