• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing .338 edge questions ....dies? reamer? ect

locotrician

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2008
North east, united states
i searched and didnt find much i saw that redding is supposed to have dies for this but i didnt see them on their site. i am probably going to end up buying the reamer for this from ptg should i just buy .338 rum dies or .338 win dies and then ream them with the reamer or does someone make a good set of dies for this round i would like to have a micrometer on the seater die but it dosnt look like thats gonna happen. where are you guys that shoot the edge getting your dies from and what style of die are you getting? seating for oal or ogive ? how far are you pushing the shoulder back and how often ? what neck dimensions should i order on the reamer and is it wise to have it throated to the 300 smk as this is what i plan to shoot ? i will be running the seekins mag system . sorry the questions are not in a good order just what running through my head.

Re: .338 edge questions ....dies? reamer? ect

I bought a die set from Shawn Carlock @ defensive edge. The seater is a 338 rum micro adjust and the sizer is a 300 rum die with the neck reamed and a bushing installed. The die set has an expander with it for the initial expansion. Redding lists it as a custom die set.

Some guys seem to use std 338 rum dies. I figured I'm already into the build for this much, why skimp on the dies?

I just ordered a set from Shawn Carlock as well. They are expensive, but should be good. I've heard guys are using 338RUM dies and setting them up higher. I didn't want to screw with it that much.

Heres mine,bought em on here.
Guns1110.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: locotrician</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how much are the defensive edge dies? </div></div>

Pm sent

Not to hijack but, are you guys happy with your edge's? With hindsight 20/20 would you have rather of just built a 338LM?

i think shawn told me $265 for the match die set.

chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sp95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to hijack but, are you guys happy with your edge's? With hindsight 20/20 would you have rather of just built a 338LM? </div></div>

I would have to see the data ... apples for apples.
I shoot H1000 due to it being very consistent in varying temps.
With the 300 SMK's I get 2830-2850 out of a 30 inch tube.
From what I have seen there is not a lot of data that would show I would gain anything with a LM. If there is a LM owner who is getting 3200 out of a 28 inch tube with H1000 then I would set up and take notice. I am satisfied at the moment ... until someone proves otherwise.

I, too have the Redding .338/.300 RUM dies for sizing. I use a .338 RUM comp seater instead of the regular seater. Ordered mine from Adam Bauer at Bauer Arms, don't remember the cost. I just neck size mine until they start getting snug and then I bump them back about .002" and keep going. I love mine and don't regret going this route over the LM. Like Gettn2, I use H-1000. Started out with Retumbo, but didn't get consistent results. Last time I ran some loads over the chronograph, with 90.5 grns of H-1000, I got an extreme spread of 11fps and a SD of 5. I am shooting the 300 SMK, also.

i called sinclair today and they stock one or two sets at a time they had one in stock and i got it competition seater and s bushing fl die for 160.

nice score. I used to check there and the site always said out of stock, no backorder. I guess that's what a phone is for.