• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Edge?

valhalla ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
Before anybody jumps me, I DID do a search and came up empty. I am wondering if I can build a 338 Edge on a standard Rem 700 long action magnum receiver with all stock parts? meaning stock extractors, etc? Also wondering if any of the reloading companies are making dies or cases for it yet? As far as cutting the chamber on the barrel, is the 338-300 reamer the one to use?

Re: 338 Edge?

Yes you can use the standard long action remington magnum action. The only mod that is needed is to lengthen the mag box for a wyatts mag or Seekins detachable mag. Some receivers will need the feed rails slightly opened.

Redding makes the sizing dies, and you can use a 338 Ultra mag seater backed off .100" from the shell holder. Forming brass is simply running a 300 ultra mag case into the sizing die. This necks it up. Load it and go. PTG has a 338 Edge reamer that works perfect.

It's a hard cartridge not to like.

I have an EDGE.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c385/Dennis_in_VA/?action=view&current=ADAMSRIFLE1.jpg

I went with this round because of all the hype over on LRH and because I felt that it was basically a Po' Boy version of the 338LM. Plus I could build it on a long action Remington ( I went with a Lawton 7500 single shot ).
I can tell you right now that if I could do it over again I would go with the 338 Lapua.
Why?
Well with the 338LM you have the option of FACTORY ammo, FACTORY brass.

I don't shoot my EDGE much now days because it is a powder hungry round and the fact that I don't have a place to shoot it past 500 yards.

Just holler at Oneshot976. He has had both and can tell you lots more than I can.

It looks like your questions have been answered.

I have an EDGE and love it! I've shot it to a mile and everything below. It's a great round and usually gets about 100 to 150 fps faster than the Lapua.

I don't know why some people think "Factory Ammo" and "Factory Brass" is all that great. Your going to pay through the nose for that "Factory Ammo" and the brass is so easy to size, I think this is a mute point. You could have 2 to 3 times the amount of rounds loaded up for the same price as a box of 20 of the Lapua. The brass I get may not have the big "L" name on it, but it's served me just fine at half the cost and gives me extremely good accuracy.