• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Federal AR. Anyone running one?

Tonto20

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2017
ATX
Just picked up some parts to put together an AR10, thinking about trying out a different flavor of crazy from a large frame AR. I've read good things about the .338 Federal, but I haven't gotten to shoot one yet. Ideally the barrel length I'm looking at is 16"-20" does anyone have any experience with this caliber or have any advice they can offer? I'd like to build this rifle to be a good all around hunting cartridge from feral hogs all the way up to elk and black bear hunting. Thanks in advance.

That's what I'm noticing, seemed like it showed potential. Wilson Combat has since picked it up where DPMS left off in its factory configuration. Still looking at it for a build none the less. Any idea why it has died off?

I run one.... well technically 1.5 after my lower gets out of atf jail...
I have got a 18 inch black hole weaponry barrel on a m5 upper and lower. the reason it died was because no after market following. Hard to get ammo for it and no one made brass for it. Also here is the main reason, its only a hunting round. Not very good for target shooting. Ive hit pigs at 400+ and they always drop like a ton of shit.. its a absolute hammer. Even the owner of my land lease liked it so much he had me build him one. Its an AMAZING round for game. I can get my 160 ttsx over 2900 fps but honestly the 200 or 225 do a lot better. I have a bunch of data on it and a bunch of pics if you care to see. Or if your near texas come shoot it

when my crux and lower get out of atf jail I'm going to try to work up some subsonic 300gr data on it....

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hick, that makes a lot of sense about the round losing popularity in the gun world. I'll shoot ya a pm.