• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 Federal

roosterpig

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2011
USA
So I’ve got this S&B 2.5-10 that I’m trying to sell in the PX and I’m getting no interest. My dad has a tikka lite in .338 federal collecting dust in his safe. And now I’m going down the rabbit hole. Ya know… lots of those “what if” thoughts.

Finding .338 brass. Necking out .308 brass. Looking for new ammo to harvest the brass. I’m sure pops has a few rounds stowed away for it.

Is it worth it? Will new brass ever exist again?

What’s everyone think of the round for hunting 300yds and in? Has anyone else scratched this itch?

Last edited:
I shot a .358 Win many years ago. Loved it.
Today I shoot a .204 and .223 and find them better for about every use.
I would shoot a moose or elk with a .223 so personally not much use for large caliber in CONUS.

Reactions: roosterpig
I shot a .358 Win many years ago. Loved it.
Today I shoot a .204 and .223 and find them better for about every use.
I would shoot a moose or elk with a .223 so personally not much use for large caliber in CONUS.
You’re using a scalpel while we’re out here with chainsaws!

Reactions: RTH1800
Starline Brass has 338 Federal available for back order as of my posting. i have seen back orders from them filled within 3-4 weeks.

I’m saving my forming efforts for the cartridges that I truly can’t find, like 25-20 WCF and 228 Ackley Magnum.

Starline Brass has 338 Federal available for back order as of my posting. i have seen back orders from them filled within 3-4 weeks.

I’m saving my forming efforts for the cartridges that I truly can’t find, like 25-20 WCF and 228 Ackley Magnum.
Ah. Yeah I saw that but didn’t know how up to speed their site was. Thought it might have been truly out of stock never to return. Thanks for the heads up.

Ah. Yeah I saw that but didn’t know how up to speed their site was. Thought it might have been truly out of stock never to return. Thanks for the heads up.
Yeah, I have been watching diligently for 6.5 Grendel and 32-20 WCF. Unfortunately work seems to keep me from finding the window of opportunity to get on the back order list (yellow dot = back order OK).

The rabbit hole is getting deeper!
I mean, it’s a decent round. It’s not really light years ahead of the 308, nor does it pack the punch of the larger 338 cartridges. I use 210 gr partitions and shoot hogs from any angle I please with it. I don’t hunt the hogs for meat. I kill them as pest control.

308 to 338 is one pass in a full length die. I actually made a bunch of 338 federal brass from 280AI brass also. Chop it down, size in a full length die, trim to length, load and shoot. It's a scaled up version of making 300blk from 223.

338F has a lot of potential as a cartridge for killing animals. Mine is a 16" AR10. Would love to have a Tikka .

308 to 338 is one pass in a full length die. I actually made a bunch of 338 federal brass from 280AI brass also. Chop it down, size in a full length die, trim to length, load and shoot. It's a scaled up version of making 300blk from 223.

338F has a lot of potential as a cartridge for killing animals. Mine is a 16" AR10. Would love to have a Tikka .
I use LCLR brass. I prefer to anneal first, but not really that necessary. I had a Ruger Scout rebarreled for it.

Most of my brass is just FC08 necked up. Brass is definitely not an issue. Proper headstamp if that matters to you might be but it's available once in awhile.

I haven't played with it much but in a bolt action the 230gr eldx might be a very good option. It ends up being a touch long for my AR10 mags but does work.

I mean, it’s a decent round. It’s not really light years ahead of the 308, nor does it pack the punch of the larger 338 cartridges. I use 210 gr partitions and shoot hogs from any angle I please with it. I don’t hunt the hogs for meat. I kill them as pest control.
Understood. My “do all” .308 has been slowly turning into a steel slapper and less of a hunting rig. Getting heavy. So while .338 fed might not be the answer to all prayers, I’ve got one available.

Appreciate the input.

Was just looking at little saws 😳

Most of my brass is just FC08 necked up. Brass is definitely not an issue. Proper headstamp if that matters to you might be but it's available once in awhile.

I haven't played with it much but in a bolt action the 230gr eldx might be a very good option. It ends up being a touch long for my AR10 mags but does work.
Was thinking a quick solution would be to order .308 in a brand that I don’t already have on hand. Then use that as my “hey dummy… you’re about to screw up” indicator.

Also might be some ocd talking.

Reactions: Modoc
IMG_1751.jpeg

I’ve got a pound of benchmark on hand. Approaching 3000fps with a 160gr projo is majestic for us to 18” .308 shooters. Could be fun.

I have made 260rem brass from 308win palma, obviously it is not uncommon. But I also made 308win brass from 30-06, custom fit neck turned for my sloppy 308 chamber. Yes, it is extra work, and you need some tools (annealing, turning), but it is doable. I would bet that you could get away without neck turning, when neck down 30-06 to 338 federal, depending on rifle chamber, you just need to cut brass in length twice, first time with angle grinder, and then with giraud, pma or wilson or whatever.
There is photo of 30-06 necked down to 308 and 260, all in one pass, I can't see why you can't make some 338federal brass from range pickup 30-06 or something similar. That is, if you can afford not to worry about headstamp on your brass (travel by plane can make this difficult, I assume).

Attachments

• DSCF4298.jpg
    DSCF4298.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 18
Never thought about using -06 brass. Cool idea. Would definitely need some additional hardware on the bench.

I am thinking of trying some.of the lighter weight Hammer .338 projectiles in my 338 Fed.
I’m thinking hammers or ttsx. I’m super intrigued by how these velocities are achieved (or at least listed in these reloading manuals). 185gr .338 ttsx listed to get moving faster (at a glance, on average) than a 180gr .308 ttsx. I guess a case capacity thing because the .338 projo is shorter.

At any rate, it’s interesting.

I’m thinking hammers or ttsx. I’m super intrigued by how these velocities are achieved (or at least listed in these reloading manuals). 185gr .338 ttsx listed to get moving faster (at a glance, on average) than a 180gr .308 ttsx. I guess a case capacity thing because the .338 projo is shorter.

At any rate, it’s interesting.
It’s more of a pressure thing. A 308 diameter bore is substantially narrower than a 338 diameter bore. Given an equal weight projectile, the same amount of powder will develop substantially more pressure in the narrower bore.

It’s more of a pressure thing. A 308 diameter bore is substantially narrower than a 338 diameter bore. Given an equal weight projectile, the same amount of powder will develop substantially more pressure in the narrower bore.
Very cool stuff. Makes sense you can drive em faster. Appreciate the reply.