• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Hunting Build Advice

akmtnrunner

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2020
I am new to this site and I can see that there is a lot of knowledge and experience to draw upon here. I am considering a custom build for my next hunting rifle but my experience is limited to semi factory rifles. My goal for this rifle is to maximize the effective range of a .338 bullet from a ~7 lb or less naked rifle. Yes, I understand that means heavy recoil, which is fine as long as it doesn't cause direct accuracy issues to the rifle. I am using a 338 win mag tikka t3x currently in a mesa precision stock (6.5 lb naked weight) and recoil is a complete non-issue without any muzzle device. It's a fine set up but I think the thin steel barrel is a bit whippy so I am looking into a stiffer barrel via carbon wrap. I am also left handed if that makes a difference.

So, my biggest questions right now are which action and cartridge to look further into. I understand the 338 caliber hasn't had much innovation of late, where do you think it is headed? 33 Nosler, 33-300 PRC, 338 Sherman max, or will the 338 RUM essentially remain the largest hunting 338 suitable for a lightweight hunting rifle? I would hate to put $3k into an ultimate hunting rifle to not be able to find brass for 10-20 years down the road.

I am new to this site and I can see that there is a lot of knowledge and experience to draw upon here. I am considering a custom build for my next hunting rifle but my experience is limited to semi factory rifles. My goal for this rifle is to maximize the effective range of a .338 bullet from a ~7 lb or less naked rifle. Yes, I understand that means heavy recoil, which is fine as long as it doesn't cause direct accuracy issues to the rifle. I am using a 338 win mag tikka t3x currently in a mesa precision stock (6.5 lb naked weight) and recoil is a complete non-issue without any muzzle device. It's a fine set up but I think the thin steel barrel is a bit whippy so I am looking into a stiffer barrel via carbon wrap. I am also left handed if that makes a difference.

So, my biggest questions right now are which action and cartridge to look further into. I understand the 338 caliber hasn't had much innovation of late, where do you think it is headed? 33 Nosler, 33-300 PRC, 338 Sherman max, or will the 338 RUM essentially remain the largest hunting 338 suitable for a lightweight hunting rifle? I would hate to put $3k into an ultimate hunting rifle to not be able to find brass for 10-20 years down the road.
I hate being that guy who suggests another caliber but I've had experience with a couple lightweight 338's and LR accuracy was just to tough with any consistency.
One was a factory 700 xcr 338 rum that weighed 7.25 lbs bare, and the other a custom 338 Norma mag with a terminator T3 brake that weighed the same.

It's not just about taking the recoil it's a matter of torque actually effecting your accuracy, this becomes most apparent when shooting bullets 250 grains +.
Also I started developing really bad headaches and brain fog after shooting those things, not good.

I built a 7lb 30 Sherman mag and it's soo much easier to shoot with consistent LR precision.

Just my experience but I'd really recommend something like a 30 nosler

Reactions: JeffLebowski
My vote is the 338LM Ackley. Absolute boomer, 300gr at 3000+ fps. Brass is readily available but you'll need custom dies, but that's not a big deal. Mine is right at 13# scoped, and with a terminator T4+ brake it's plenty shootable. And yes, double ears makes a world of difference.

Westernhntr, I appreciate hearing your experience and your suggestion is welcome too. I understand a 30 caliber could still do a good job. I should note that I'll be shooting Barnes 225 ttsx or Hammer bullets, maybe 250 LRX as the heaviest. I would like to see if I can add a few more fps to start those relatively lighter 338 bullets to stretch their expansion range.

What precisely do you mean by "torque"?

TheBoctor, that may be a bit too much of a good thing. I will be more than happy to get to the 250 @ 2800-2900 fps neighborhood, and from a 8-9 lb rifle all up.

Westernhntr, I appreciate hearing your experience and your suggestion is welcome too. I understand a 30 caliber could still do a good job. I should note that I'll be shooting Barnes 225 ttsx or Hammer bullets, maybe 250 LRX as the heaviest. I would like to see if I can add a few more fps to start those relatively lighter 338 bullets to stretch their expansion range.

What precisely do you mean by "torque"?
225's will definitely help, the cutting edge bullets are pretty awesome
I built an 8 twist to shoot the 212 Barnes LRX with a .705 bc and it's looking really good so far.
By torque I mean a light weight rifle actually twists from the heavy bullet moving through the barrel behind a heavy powder charge.
There are some articles about it from benchrest shooters

Reactions: akmtnrunner