• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Ammo: Solids, Scenars, and Matchkings

G

We have some new 338 Lapua in stock, and will still honor our SH intro price.

300 Scenars $78 box/20
300 SMK $78 box/20
235 Predator solid (see here: http://www.dynamicresearchllc.com/2.html ) $108

All loaded in new Jamison International Brass, with individually weighed charges of Hodgdon Extreme powders.

The 300s run 2750 from a 27" barrel.
The solids are loaded to 3100 from our 25" test barrel, with a published bc of .82
Specify your desired oal when ordering.

Mike

Re: 338 Lapua Ammo: Solids, Scenars, and Matchkings

The Jamison brass is near equal quality, we have a secure supply of cases from the manufacturer, and it is slightly less expensive as a result.

Heard good things about Jamison brass - gotta at least be better than hornady...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heard good things about Jamison brass - gotta at least be better than hornady... </div></div>

Haven't tried Hornady, but Jamison does not get my vote; Jamison is softer and does not last anywhere as long as Lapua brass.

The older (pre-2007) Jamison brass was too soft but they changed some things around and the brass I've been getting since 2008 (two star headstamp) is GTG. Mind you, that was .408 brass.

I have 6 reloads through my Jamison 375 CT brass and it is in great shape. I like Lapua brass but I don't think the Jamison brass is far off.

Not trying to get off track but this is somewhat related. What the heck is it that Lapua does that makes their brass so damn durable? Especially, when you compare it to the other brands of brass.

If the Jamison stuff is real close to the Lapua, that is awesome because It gives us another source for good brass.

Like making match ammo, it's all about quality components and a precise manufacturing process.

They tend to be more consistent and usually heavier, meaning more material, meaning more strength.

What is the OAL on the ammo for the 2750fps that was tested?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to get off track but this is somewhat related. What the heck is it that Lapua does that makes their brass so damn durable? Especially, when you compare it to the other brands of brass.

If the Jamison stuff is real close to the Lapua, that is awesome because It gives us another source for good brass.
</div></div>

Asked exactly that question while visiting Lapua plant...Lapua guys laughed and said its a secret. Told that I have heard that Jamieson 338 brass almost as good nowdays, they smiled again and replied: "not even close...we tried it."
Im sure Jamieson still gives bang for buck well.

408 available now too

119430w.jpg

I have loaded some of the jamison 2 star 375 brass up to 30 times. Is that not good enough?

Any plans on doing any 338LM in 250gr?

250 Scenars are available for the same price as the 300s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to get off track but this is somewhat related. What the heck is it that Lapua does that makes their brass so damn durable? Especially, when you compare it to the other brands of brass.

</div></div>

Asked exactly that question while visiting Lapua plant...Lapua guys laughed and said its a secret. Told that I have heard that Jamieson 338 brass almost as good nowdays, they smiled again and replied: "not even close...we tried it."
Im sure Jamieson still gives bang for buck well.

</div></div>

What did you expect them to say? Yeah, Jamison's brass is as good as ours. But ours is shinier, and we helped develop the cartridge? I am consistently suspicious of anyone who says their product is vastly superior, despite emperical evidence, but the reason is a "secret". Lapua is the best brass available, that is why we use it in our premium 308, but Jamison brass is nearly as good.

We have used both Jamison and Lapua, as well as Privi and Norma brass in testing. We have reloaded the Jamison brass just as much as the Lapua. In fact, the only things that distinguish the Finnish import from our premier domestic cartridge case manufacturer are that they are a little cleaner, and Jamison comes in a zip lock bag.

When given the choice between two vendors of nearly equal quality, with one being from the US, and priced less, I will consistently chose to do business with the domestic supplier. I can call the company any time, talk to Marc Jamison, and the orders I place ship within hours.

If your location is correct, I can understand your bias toward the Finnish product. However, I will extend this offer to any member here of your choice:

I will purchase one new box of Lapua ammunition and supply one of our own for he or she to do an accuracy and quality evaluation. Then he will proceed to reload both brands using the same method until signs of fatigue begin to show.

Let me know.

Mike

Having tried just about every factory .338 load out there now I decided to splurge and try some FGMM. As most would argee its likely the finest factory ammo on the planet. It arrived the other day and to my surprise it was loaded in Lapua brass. Surely that's a pretty powerful endorsement but all things being equal I think I'd prefer a domestic product and it will be interesting to see how it performs. I've yet to try a domestic load that performs as well as factory Lapua lock base in my Barrett. I think the "shiny" award goes to Hornady...their brass is far shinier than Lapua, at least in the .338 variety.

We load to 3.600 SAMMI length, to ensure they will funcion through all magazines. We can run some at the CIP length of 3.680, or longer by request.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm going to try the predator solids tomorrow at a better range. I shot a batch after receiving them but they didn't do too well but I can't say it was the ammo's fault.

Conditions really sucked that day. The winds were from every which direction at once and was I shooting from the sand so I kept getting sand blown in my face. Add the fact that clumps of tall grass were scattered along my LOS and it made for an interesting day. I actually had to time the wind just to see my targets. Given the condiitons the 4" groups I was getting at 200yds were pretty respectable.

Once I'm done with vacation I'm going to hit you guys up for some scenars since I'll have a bunch of brass by then.