• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 lapua, berger hybrid tact otm 300 gr

aussiegolf89

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Abiline, TX
I have h1000 and re25 for the berger hy tac 300gr .338 lapua. Anybody have some quality reloading data to work with? I'm shooting a 26" 1in9 twist barrel. If you dont mind include zero yardage. Thanks in advance!!!

Re: .338 lapua, berger hybrid tact otm 300 gr

Start with 89-90g H1000 and work up to 91-92g w/ a .010 jump to lands.

Your COAL is important based on your chamber. Everything I've seen concerning the OTM's is that they like .010 to.020 jump. Find your Max COAL and just seat them .010 to .020 deeper than that. It's that simple. Hope this helps.

snipe

i have a COAL gauge coming in but how would i measure if i didnt have one. i have tried dummy rounds checking to see when i am off the lands but it is hard for me to tell! thanks for the imput and help!

Many ways to measure COAL but the most effective I have found, shy of a gauge, is the expand the case neck up (I use the sinclair expanding die for neck turning) and then bearly seat a bullet into the neck. Then chamber the round. The neck tension will be loose enough to allow the bullet to be pushed back when it engages the lands.

Your shootin a BA110 right??
I am woking on a load for my BA110 with the bergers, h1000 and Lapua brass. PGS has a really good post going in the ELR section that I based my work up after. there is definatly a node @ 90 to 91 in my rifle. But be CAREFUL it is very HOT in my rifle. I did a seating depth test from touching the lands (2.839 coal)down to jumping 10 thou, in 5 thou steps (so three Total) just like PGS did. Groups tightend up @ 5 and 10 thou. Both pretty close. Next i will try @ 15 and 20 thou jump. I am still working to refine this because not totally happy with my ES of about 40fps, kind of new to this so not sure were to go from here. Seating depth made a big differance. I also had a node @ 85 grains of h1000 but was only running 2600 fps range, and my goal is to really strech this lapua out so I would like the fps if I can get it consistant. keep me posted and I will do the same.

I make my own seating depth gauges. Just drill out te ass of a case the size of the neck, tap another case into the back of that case so now you have 2 cases joined together. Drill the back of the other case out so that a brass cleaning rod will fit throught it. Then I just drill a screw throught the back of the second case so then all you have to do is put a bullet inside the case mouth of the first case, push the cases in until they stop, then push the bullet with the rod until it touches the lands, then tighten down the brass rod. Just pull the cases out, put the bullet back in till it touches that rod and measure your length. It's a lot more simple than it sounds. Ill see if I can get a picture lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your shootin a BA110 right??
I am woking on a load for my BA110 with the bergers, h1000 and Lapua brass. PGS has a really good post going in the ELR section that I based my work up after. there is definatly a node @ 90 to 91 in my rifle. But be CAREFUL it is very HOT in my rifle. I did a seating depth test from touching the lands (2.839 coal)down to jumping 10 thou, in 5 thou steps (so three Total) just like PGS did. Groups tightend up @ 5 and 10 thou. Both pretty close. Next i will try @ 15 and 20 thou jump. I am still working to refine this because not totally happy with my ES of about 40fps, kind of new to this so not sure were to go from here. Seating depth made a big differance. I also had a node @ 85 grains of h1000 but was only running 2600 fps range, and my goal is to really strech this lapua out so I would like the fps if I can get it consistant. keep me posted and I will do the same. </div></div>

what is your velocity?(90-91gr) I have the same rifle and the load you have, might be one i'm going to use. thanks.

In my Savage 10FCP i'm finding .010" jump to lands works well with this bullet. I've tried .010, .015 and .020.

I use H1000(88.5min/92max) and CCI 250 magnum primers. 1/2 - 3/4 MOA has been the norm with every load so far @ 100 yds, although i've had some slight inconsistencies. Taking it to 400yds next chance I get and using 5-shot groups instead of 3.

I experienced some issues with Federal 215m primers, they flattened extremely easily(at minimum load even) along with light firing pin hole "print". Switch to CCI 250magnums made a big difference. ES shrunk as well using the CCI's. I'll post data when I get more with the CCI's.

It's been said before and I agree, I think this cartridge needs to stretch its legs a little bit to see what works and what doesnt. What i've seen goofing off @ 1000yds. w/o much effort on my behalf is incredible. 338Lapua makes 2'x3' tombstone hits easy.

Will post more next range day.

In my 110FCP, it didn't like the .010,.025, but it really responded to touching the lands. 1/2 inch at 200 yards....most groups touching all 3 bullets in a ragged hole. But I have not shot beyond 200 yards yet.

90 grains H1000, new Lapua brass, fed 215 match magnum, 300 grain Berger gen 2 Hybrid touching lands.

Velocity was 2716 average. Sd was good at 6-9 fps.

It was cold out as well 15 up to 27 degrees.

Amazing how much the groups opened up with anything but touching the lands.

85.0g rl25 215m Lapua brass. I won't change it in mine. but work up to it....

Hello guys.

I load this bullet too and i just need to be sure about the lands....

Do you really mean that after measuring your lands, you push the bullet .010 farther in the barrel ??? (Touching the lands)

Or you do as i do, i measure then i back it with .010" ?

To date i tryed US869 powder and i never had a good gouping.

Some guys told me to try VihtaVuori N165.

It's supposed to be miraculous.

Here's my specs....

Xlr tube gun
Broughton 30" bull barrel with 1/10 twist.

Have a very nice day friends...

Steff

Last edited:
My 110FCP 338 shooting 300-Berger OTMs with H1000 fed215 didn't like any load at .010" off the lands but does like to be .055" off the lands. I haven't tried them right on the lands but it didn't like .010" off the lands and likes .055" off which is also just short enough to be mag length (barely) too so I stuck with that.

It groups everything between 87.5-88.5 equally well (right at 1/2 MOA) at .055".

Mag length, 85.0gr H1000 FL sized, 215M 2600 fps outta a 25" Barrel.

In my Savage 10FCP i'm finding .010" jump to lands works well with this bullet. I've tried .010, .015 and .020.

I use H1000(88.5min/92max) and CCI 250 magnum primers. 1/2 - 3/4 MOA has been the norm with every load so far @ 100 yds, although i've had some slight inconsistencies. Taking it to 400yds next chance I get and using 5-shot groups instead of 3.

I experienced some issues with Federal 215m primers, they flattened extremely easily(at minimum load even) along with light firing pin hole "print". Switch to CCI 250magnums made a big difference. ES shrunk as well using the CCI's. I'll post data when I get more with the CCI's.

It's been said before and I agree, I think this cartridge needs to stretch its legs a little bit to see what works and what doesnt. What i've seen goofing off @ 1000yds. w/o much effort on my behalf is incredible. 338Lapua makes 2'x3' tombstone hits easy.

Will post more next range day.

Was just scanning the forum and I've never brought back old threads from the dead but how in the world did nobody comment on "makes 2'x3' tombstone hits easy"????

Last edited:
I guess I should have searched Google. I guess there is an official NRA tombstone target used in some competitions. Just searched for it and found it.

I guess I should have searched Google. I guess there is an official NRA tombstone target used in some competitions. Just searched for it and found it.

Funny you say that. We just used some in our 3-gun competition today!