• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua brass issues ( sinclair just deliverd)

1fstTA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
La.
I just got a extra 100 cases of 338 lapua brass to reload. I just got the shipment today and just opened the brass up to find that alot of the necks have been damaged and to the extent I dont feel comfortable with the brass. Anyone else have these issues.

Re: 338 lapua brass issues ( sinclair just deliverd)

I would but im not sure exactly the process to follow to post pics. I talked with sinclair and they said send it back and get a new box but im time limited for a shoot now.

Why not just size them or run them through an expander mandrel and straighten things out?

I thought about that but alot of them are almost completely touching the other side of the neck smashed in. there are probably 15 to 20 really really bad ones and probably 10 to 12 semi questionable ones. I hate spending that much money and then having to worry about if they will work out or not.

Agreed, all the Lapua brass I've seen has had the necks beat to hell. I emailed Lapua about it and they claim it is happening in shipment, but why is their stuff significantly worse than other (cheaper) brand names? I just don't understand why they can't package it better to help preserve the cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, all the Lapua brass I've seen has had the necks beat to hell. I emailed Lapua about it and they claim it is happening in shipment, but why is their stuff significantly worse than other (cheaper) brand names? I just don't understand why they can't package it better to help preserve the cases. </div></div>

This has been a problem for a good 2 years. Actually, since they switched to the blue plastic boxes, so go figure?

Their quality control has definitely slipped.

Chris

How do necks get beat up if the brass is being shipped in those plastic boxes? Lapua brass used to come in flimsy cardboard boxes and it wasnt an issue. Norma brass comes in those same flimsy boxes and its not an issue for them either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
This has been a problem for a good 2 years. Actually, since they switched to the blue plastic boxes, so go figure?

Their quality control has definitely slipped.

Chris </div></div>

Lapua, obviously, changed the composition of the alloys used according to the below article. Seemingly, at the same time they changed to the blue box... I only have (good) experience of the "brown box" brass.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/x-ray-spectrometry-of-cartridge-brass/

my 6.5x47L, 6.5x284, and 338 LM brass all had beat up necks. The problem is the amount of spare room in the darn boxes. With that spare room the brass moves about a bunch and the necks get dinged.

My fix was basic and easy. Run an expander mandrel into them to make them round again, then size them back down. I then annealed after the first firing, instead of after the second.

Jeffvn

I'd buy the whole "they get bent in the box" theory if the issues weren't so severe. I've had 338 necks that were folded so badly that they were butting up against each other. I just think that Lapua could do a much better job on their end; I wonder what the cost to put the brass into cardboard ammo boxes would be?

I just recently bought 2 boxes of Lapua 308 and was measuring up a random sampling of their dimensions the other evening.

NO dents whatsoever.

I bought the cases from Cabelas.

Jim G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1fstTA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a extra 100 cases of 338 lapua brass to reload. I just got the shipment today and just opened the brass up to find that alot of the necks have been damaged and to the extent I dont feel comfortable with the brass. Anyone else have these issues. </div></div>I think if they are dented in shipment and do not suffer manufacturing flaws, run them. That's the beauty of brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wheres-Waldo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do necks get beat up if the brass is being shipped in those plastic boxes? Lapua brass used to come in flimsy cardboard boxes and it wasnt an issue. Norma brass comes in those same flimsy boxes and its not an issue for them either. </div></div>

Hi W-W,

I agree with you. The way the necks are described, shipping isn't an issue. I bought a bag of Winchester 308 from a hide member a few years back and the necks were so distorted, I couldn't imagine how even a truck running over the bag would have caused what I have here.

It was almost as if the Winchester guys took all of the deformed rejects from the production line and purposefully put them in a bag and shipped them out to the consumer.

I need to post a pic just to show everybody what I'm talking about, it's that funny.

Like I said, Lapua QC has suffered and it's not a 'box' issue.

Chris

sinclair did tell me to ship it back but now I out the shipping back and getting new stuff. im only glad that the competition got rained out we was going to. and Im sick of all the backorder crap.

If someone could share close-up photos, will forward them to right place.
Caliber/lot info would be helpful as well.

I've purchased Lapua 338, 260 and 308 brass from EA Brown.

I can't recall ever seeing a dented neck. Wonder if its a Sinclair problem?

Ive gotten 6.5x47, 308, 22-250 243 and 338 LM from Powder valley in blue boxes and never had a bent case.

Sounds like Sinclair is slapping the Lapua boxes around.

I've received Lapua brass from Midway and Powdervalley and both had several cases with dented necks. Maybe it's just luck of the draw.

Pics or it did not happen...
wink.gif

I got 500 .308 cases from Midway when they were on sale a few months back. Some slight dings but not nearly as bad as the Win that they had on clearance special. But even the worst was not like you guys are describing. I must be lucky. I don't recall ever getting brass that bad in any brand.

Have 200 of the cardboard box stuff in .338 LM and is some of the best brass I have seen. I have never seen cheap brass with the mouth crushed to allmost touching .Was gonna order another 200 rnds of the lapua as mine is gettin long in the tooth. Will have to watch for this problem ! Thanks for the heads up , and sorry to hear of your trouble with the brass.

Bought 338 Lapua brass from Midway and there were several banged up case mouths, and there is no repairing it... it's like they were gouged. It really can't happen in shipping... unless the boxes are slammed to the ground somehow. And each box of 338 only had 99 brass in it.

I sent Lapua people a note with some pics, and they immediately sent me about 2X the amount of bad brass to take it's place. I noticed that the new brass looked alot better than even the good units of the Midway sourced brass.

Also on the note of Lapua vs Hornady 338, I have had 3 pieces of Lapua almost case separate down towards the base of the brass (3rd firing), and 0 pieces of Hornady have any problem. So while Lapua brass looks more finished, it seems Hornady comes to ou 100% free of any problems, and seems to last through more reloadings.

Received 100 .338 Lapua last week from Bruno's ; they had best price on this. Have noticed a few ( total of 6 )case mouths that are slightly dented, nothing that can't be fixed with a pass thru a die .
As to the Lapua case splitting issue mentioned above, that concerns me. At $ 2.25++ per case I hope to get more than a few reloads out of this brass !

I am interested in the issues some are having with 338 Lapua brass - specifically the Lapua brand.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 800+ rounds of Lapua here and other than the latest 200 new on my list of stuff to load all are on multiple reloadings without issue. Has anyone noticed issues within specific lot numbers or is it just random problems, supplier related or ???

Last night I opened two boxes of 308, one brown box and one blue box. The brown box had 5 slightly dinged necks and the blue box had 1. Both boxes came from Cabela's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bought 338 Lapua brass from Midway and there were several banged up case mouths, and there is no repairing it...

I sent Lapua people a note with some pics, and they immediately sent me about 2X the amount of bad brass to take it's place. I noticed that the new brass looked alot better than even the good units of the Midway sourced brass.</div></div>
Care to share pics?
After seeing whole manufacturing process and Lapua QC policy in practice, its hard to believe factory would let out or even produce such brass.
Also, here in country of origin, never heard about that badly damaged new Lapua brass. Not even once. And I know many 338 shooters.

Could it be that something goes wrong in transport- also many if not all seemed to purchace their damaged brass from Midway?

here is a sample of my bad Lapua brass... three on the left with near head-case separation anxiety and then the case on the right shows a bad mouth gouge... as received from the seller as brand new brass.

If Lapua says it is happening in shipping...I wonder if it is happening in "shipping" before it gets separated into the boxes we see? Looks like material handling issues to me-like if there were thousands of cases in a bin-and you got the bottom dwellers carrying all the weight.

if you see that mouth gouge in my picture above, you just can't cause that by shipping... it's like you'd have to slam that piece of brass against something to cause that to happen. Maybe it two pieces of brass were placed oppostive mouth to mouth and the box was dropped...

My contact at Lapua said they are shipping them now in these blue boxes such that this won't happen again. Mine were all in those older cardboard boxes.

Cali,
That cupped case mouth was done in a die, I've seen it, many times. The case is chamfered, you do this after you noticed the blemish?
That is caused by not having the case centered in the shell holder and being in a hurry.

The case seperations are from over working your brass. Neck sizing only might help, if they feed back into your chamber. What brand die do you use. I'm sure the Lapua brass is thicker than the hornady. Your die tollerences are tight. Trust me I know, pm me and maybe I can help.

As for Lapua, the blue box is a cheap ammo box, why don't they put the rack part in place, set brass head down, mouth up and put some cheap foam in it, there would be no deformed cases whatsoever.
Well I can't move to Finland, maybe they should just hire me as a consultant of qaulity control.
Miles

Milo, on the neck faults, I did not touch this brass so for sure I did not chamfer it... I did not even notice that. Will take a close look now!

I do full length resize the brass... why, because I read that you want the brass to be able to expand and contract off the chamber wall (my words, not the pro's) otherwise with a neck resize only and the pressures in a 338LM round, the brass might bind against the chamber wall and be hard or not able to extract. Comments on that theory?

I am using Redding Comp dies. Hornady have gone thru all the same steps but never seen this near separation.

Yes, why doesn't Lapua put the brass in that rack is silly... I know it's extra labor or another machine, but it ain't like the brass is cheap to buy either.

Cali,
It takes me forever to type a response, feel free to pm me, maybe I can help you.
I went through the same crap with a 338 snipetac.
I can give you one hint, straighten a large paper clip, then put a 1/8" to 1/4" 90 degree bend on one end with a needle nose. Make a tool like your dentist uses to stick into a cavity, the one that makes you jump up and strangle him!
Then run this down to to the bottom inside the case and contact case wall, pull up, you will be able to feel the seperation on the inside of the case before it shows on the outside.
If you feel something, throw it away.

I don't recall where you got your brass, but if it was from an individual, you got the meat pole.
Even neck sizing, you still have to FL size every 2nd,3rd, 4th, or whatever.
But that case seperation is unsafe, be careful.
Miles

Milo, thanks for the tips. Yes, I have a dental pick and I've gone through all the brass to check for hints of separation forming inside the brass wall.

Yes I got this brass from an individual who said he got it from Midway, and sold it to me unopened. It's quite possible I got some kind of Lapua reject brass. However, that brass is still to be fired.... the separation brass comes from factory ammo that I have shot. I forget which brand it was that uses Lapua brass, but that's where I got it from. Anyone know which factory ammo for 338LM uses Lapua brass (apart from Lapua itself) ???

HSM, I bet most because Hornady's brass is quite new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a sample of my bad Lapua brass... three on the left with near head-case separation anxiety and then the case on the right shows a bad mouth gouge... as received from the seller as brand new brass.

</div></div>

I'd say that those are classic case head separations and you're probably sizing your cases too much and they're just stretching a lot in your chamber.

The dinged in mouth looks like you snagged it on the edge of either the seating die, or the sizing die--probably the latter.

I've done it enough to know what it looks like.

Stop sizing your brass down too much and you'll get longer life.

I'm on 10 cycles with 60 pieces Lapua brass and I butchered some of them in the beginning, experimenting with generic neck sizers.

Chris

The dinged in mouth is not from me, but from the Lapua factory... that much I did confirm with USA Lapua sales office. I have never put that brass in a die on my bench.

Regarding sizing the brass, I have to now full length resized my brass with a Redding Comp body die. I did this to bump the shoulder back a couple thou. I really wonder why this is happening to me and not to you with 10 cycles on Lapua brass. I am using right amount case lube on the body die, and it doesn't feel like I am forcing the resize operation. And why it isn't happening with Hornady brass at all.

I will try a neck sizing or two in between body die full length resizing.

I wonder if my Steyr rifle has excessive headspace...? Could that be?

Cali_tz,

Since you are having better luck with Hornady's 338 brass. I will trade you even up for my brand new Hornady brass for your brand new Lapua brass....LOL...LOL...

so I did a little more digging, under some magnifying lens. I ended up discarding another dozen Lapua cases that showed signs of separation. I have concluded that the cases having problems were those fired several times on my Rem 700 and then again with my Steyr SSG08. So were the Hornady brass, and yet only one of those showed the slightest signs of discoloration in the area where the Lapua's started to show obvious distress signs. Brass only used several times by the Rem 700 were quite OK. I am not implying anything other than different chamber cuts may have something to do with this, not which one is right or wrong.

Also, in my particular case, you could not and can not detect problems with the old dental pick or paper clip feeling around inside. It's clear from breaking one of those brass open shown in pics above, that the brass starts separating from the OUTside first, then the inside is the last to tear apart. So actually it's outside where I scrape the dental pick point to see how deep the tear is or is not.

More when I examine the brass that has only been fired once and only from the Steyr... that's tomorrow. Getting late for this oldster.

Sometimes you'll see a line at the top of the web area, on the outside of the case and I have seen these on my 338LM brass after 10 cycles, but if you don't have a depressions on the inside of the cases at the web area, I wouldn't worry about it.

You might have your sizing die set too low and you're bumping your shoulders back too much?

Try buying the Horandy headspace gages and mic the fired cases and get a measurement and then compare that to your sized cases, trying to bump the shoulders back no more than .002". Start with the die set high and work your want down in tiny steps.

These headspace gages come in a set of 5 bushings and can be used on most common cartridges.

hk66.jpg

Hornady headspace gage set

Worth the ~$45 bucks, as you'll use them to set up your sizing dies for all the stuff you reload and tune the sizing to each chamber of your weapons.

Chris

Have you checked teh fired brass to see if there is a water capacity differential between the Lapua and the Hornady cases?

Jeffvn

I can guarantee there is. But at what point does it mean anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you checked teh fired brass to see if there is a water capacity differential between the Lapua and the Hornady cases?

Jeffvn </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes you'll see a line at the top of the web area, on the outside of the case and I have seen these on my 338LM brass after 10 cycles, but if you don't have a depressions on the inside of the cases at the web area, I wouldn't worry about it.

You might have your sizing die set too low and you're bumping your shoulders back too much?

Try buying the Horandy headspace gages and mic the fired cases and get a measurement and then compare that to your sized cases, trying to bump the shoulders back no more than .002". Start with the die set high and work your want down in tiny steps.

These headspace gages come in a set of 5 bushings and can be used on most common cartridges.

hk66.jpg

Worth the ~$45 bucks, as you'll use them to set up your sizing dies for all the stuff you reload and tune the sizing to each chamber of your weapons.

Chris </div></div>

Thank you Chris. However, for whatever reason, there is a concern in my case when these lines appear in my case, because it is the precursor to a separation. The inside of the case is the last to separate, not the first.
I am going to invest in a set of headspace gages to try and debug what is going on here. I did use the Hornady lock and load case length tool to figure out a fully fire formed case length and then bump back a couple thou. Maybe that's not an accurate way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes you'll see a line at the top of the web area, on the outside of the case and I have seen these on my 338LM brass after 10 cycles, but if you don't have a depressions on the inside of the cases at the web area, I wouldn't worry about it.

hk66.jpg

Chris </div></div>

Thank you Chris. However, for whatever reason, there is a concern in my case when these lines appear in my case, because it is the precursor to a separation. The inside of the case is the last to separate, not the first.
I am going to invest in a set of headspace gages to try and debug what is going on here. I did use the Hornady lock and load case length tool to figure out a fully fire formed case length and then bump back a couple thou. Maybe that's not an accurate way to go. </div></div>

Not always. Many times you won't notice any separation until it makes it to the surface of the case.

The rupture will start on the inside and work out, hence the paper clip trick. Shine a bright flashlight down inside and see if you can see any splits starting?

These cases all have slight lines on the outside, a quarter inch up from the rim, but are perfect on the inside.

They have about 10 cycles on them, with moderate loadings.

Chris

3a.jpg

1a.jpg

Chris

Chris, thanks for taking those pics. Yes those are the exact lines I have on some of my Lapua brass. However on those brass, there is no perceptible deformation inside the brass. And the brass that did come apart a bit farther, but no completely, much more is noticed on the outside rather than on the inside.

For the brass you show above... are you still going to reload them further? My brass showing those lines are like on reloading #4...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chris, thanks for taking those pics. Yes those are the exact lines I have on some of my Lapua brass. However on those brass, there is no perceptible deformation inside the brass. And the brass that did come apart a bit farther, but no completely, much more is noticed on the outside rather than on the inside.

For the brass you show above... are you still going to reload them further? My brass showing those lines are like on reloading #4... </div></div>

Yes sir, I will continue to reload them until a neck splits, the primer pockets become too loose to hold a primer or I see the cracks on the inside.

As I was taking the pics, I used a bright flashlight to inspect the insides. In a few spots on one, or two of them, I thought I saw something, so I got the paper clip out and did the 'scrape' test and nothing.

I anneal their necks, so hopefully I'll get a few more cycles out of them, at least, however, I don't want to push my luck, as I value my face!

Good luck, Chris

Thanks Chris. Funny... I went back and carefully compared the dental pick feel on a brass with the line and one without and indeed I felt a difference... it's abrupt like a crack or crevasse, but more like thin to thick over a slope of a 1mm or 2. Fascinating. I am going to hold off on reloading those until I go thru all my other brass. That will by emergency brass for the days of Mad Max III...

btw how often do you anneal...?

Ive had the same problem with 300 pieces of lapua 338 brass. I was able to full length and still ran them.