• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 Lapua Brass Stretch Ring -- Any Pics??

Wildwillalaska

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
So I'm almost 120 rounds into my GAP 338 Lapua. I am a title concerned by the amount of stretch marks (shiny ring) I get at the junction of the case head/web. It's my first Lapua so nothing to compare it to until a guy at the range had a new Barrett shooting some Remington factory 250 Scenars with Lapua brass, he had slight shiny mark, but no where near as dramatic and clear as my brass.

I've shot my hand loads of 90.1gr H1000 with 300 SMKs, 285 Hornady Match and mostly 300 Berger OTM's, all with Virgin Lapua brass. Also shot a few Lapua factory loads with 300 Scenars. All have the same distinct shiny ring at the web--all had easy bolt lift, no flattened primers or signs of pressure--other than the stretch.

Is this normal? Anyone have photo's of their fired brass to share? Concerned of early brass failure--even with just necksizing and bumping shoulder as needed. Concerned maybe too much headspace--could just as likely be a paranoid Lapua newbie.

Tried searching web and found some old hide post results--but all lead back to main page right now with the new software--so any help appreciated.

if theres any doubt, check and double check. i shoot the big boys and yes it can make me a lil iffy when you constamntly hear of the bad. but it keeps me on my toes. use the paperclip method to check for early signs of separation and i just looked into sinclairs bump gauges to check headspace.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...ools/sinclair-bump-gage-insert-prod35265.aspx
http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Headspace-Kit-With-Body-1-Each/
i have these up as we speak so ill post em. as you can see it doesnt say 338 lapua but i was thinking about contacting hornady to ask if theyll make one.
did you size this virgin brass before you loaded it?

Don't worry about it. I fired over 6K 338LM rounds and never had a case problem. I'm sure some of the cases in my rotation have over 15 loads. I would however check the headspace with a bump gauge as gixxer822 suggests. I've never had a problem-but I know my headspace and never overwork my brass.

I was concerned when I first saw those rings-I even cut and sectioned some of the brass to see if there was any erosion present. There wasn't. I've had the same results in an AR30,TAC338,TRG42 and my AIAWSM. I don't think it is a stretch ring at all. I could not detect any stretch lengthwise or in the cases diameter.

That's the answer I was hoping to hear. Figured once the get the initial stretch, so long as I properly bump shoulder just .001/2, so as to prevent overworking, should be good. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only cat seeing these distinct rings upon initial firing.

I'm set on headspace gauge--have a few of the Hornady inserts I put in my Sinclair base. Hornady insert (#E) is for several calipers including 338 Lapua, so wanted to get a Sinclair insert since theirs is Lapua specific.

Be careful, Make sure you check it from the inside with the paper clip.
photobucket-19766-1360262775040_zpsbc17e15d.jpg