• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.338 lapua break in???

Surgeon_Shooter

Sure Shot Night Vision
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 2, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Hey fellas Im going to pick up my surgeon remedy tommorow.I've broke in several other smaller rifles but never a .338 lapua. What's the best break in method for a 28" 9.5 krieger?

Re: .338 lapua break in???

shoot it...... then shoot it some more. Have fun
    smile.gif

Here is the old question again. I would just shoot the shit out of it. I didn't do any break in with my rifles and they shoot just fine.

Break in is way over rated.

I'd clean it first to get stray stuff out, shoot 5-10 rounds and then clean real good. Then it'd be at least 50-100 rounds before I cleaned it again.

The guys above weren't trying to be sarcastic, be true to your name and just go shoot that beast!! Post pics and a range report when you can.

here is what i do:

get it home and give it a good run through with some patches and solvent.

then i get JB's Non-embedding bore cleaner (a paste) and put it on a bore mop and using a bore guide, run it back and forth for about 500-600 times.

then clean it really really good and shoot the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is what i do:

then i get JB's Non-embedding bore cleaner (a paste) and put it on a bore mop and using a bore guide, run it back and forth for about 500-600 times.

then clean it really really good and shoot the gun. </div></div>

On a custom rifle??? Again I would just shoot the rifle and clean normally when I am done..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help assholes </div></div>

That was unnecessary and unwarranted.
    He was offering you his advice, for free.

Many here don't believe in using a break-in process.
    I agree with them.

I wish I could find the video that NOBODY did on barrel break in, it seemed to work great. If any of you guys with search foo. go for it.

I for one clean the rifle when I get it and shoot the shit out of it. IMOP barrel break in is not needed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is what i do:

then clean it really really good and shoot the gun.</div></div>

TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING!!??!!

I would NOT use JB on any new rifle from Surgeon (and not 500-600 times), if it won't shoot they will most likely tell you that you F'd it up and void all warranty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could find the video that NOBODY did on barrel break in, it seemed to work great. If any of you guys with search foo. go for it.
    </div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING!!??!!

I would NOT use JB on any new rifle from Surgeon (and not 500-600 times), if it won't shoot they will most likely tell you that you F'd it up and void all warranty.</div></div>

why would cleaning a bore void a warranty?? JB's just helps keep the barrel from getting all the crap in it quicker.

A custom rifle comes with a custom barrel that was professionally lapped using proven methods at the factory most likely. JB is an abrasive and has it's uses to remove stubborn carbon and other fouling after hundreds if not thousands of rounds. If you're using JB on a brand new rifle the only thing you'll remove is metal....that's supposed to be there.

I'm simply warning that Surgeon and the barrel maker may tell you that you unevenly and very unscientifically (sp?) removed metal from their precision made products, so if it doesn't shoot than it's your problem and not theirs.

i have NEVER done break in of any kind on any of my rifles. i dont have full custom rolls-royces sitting in my gun cabinet, but they arent pintos either. my remmy 700 will shoot 1/2MOA all day, and if i do my part, it will occasionally shoot 1/4MOA... or im just measuring wrong... all i know is it shoots great with no break in. shoot it, enjoy it, replace the barrel when youve burned it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help assholes </div></div>

Holy shit, the guy offered his advise and this is what he gets!? Do an effin search since this has been discussed a shit load of times and also look at Krieger's website and check if they reccomend anything for barrel break in.

In a word: DON'T!

Abrasives don't belong in bench rest grade barrels PERIOD!

Clean it when you get it to remove preservation oils with a non embedding rod, good patches and Hoppe's.

Then shoot it until accuracy starts to fall off.

Then give it a squirt of Wipe Out, three patches, a fouler shot and you are good to go.

Far, far more rifles have been ruined by improper cleaning with various mouse milk products than ever have by shooting.

That's what I'm talking about! I fugired that would make y'all respond. Thanks very much! I really appreciate the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I'm talking about! I fugired that would make y'all respond. Thanks very much! I really appreciate the help.</div></div>

We were tricked?!?!?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I'm talking about! I fugired that would make y'all respond. Thanks very much! I really appreciate the help. </div></div>

GTFO or search

I think we've been had....The other thing that is surprising in this thread is that we had a response from Mr. Humble WITHOUT a picture of one of his rifles being posted with it
    grin.gif
    no offense Mr. Humble

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Surgeon-Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's what I'm talking about! I fugired that would make y'all respond. Thanks very much! I really appreciate the help.</div></div>

We were tricked?!?!?!? </div></div>

I am still a bit confused. Hell I know the reason, I need more coffee.
    confused.gif

So in this thread, we have someone that doesn't know how to search and another that is prematurely wearing down his barrel before ever sending a round down the tube. Awesome!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So in this thread, we have someone that doesn't know how to search and another that is prematurely wearing down his barrel before ever sending a round down the tube. Awesome!!! </div></div>

smirk.gif
    crazy.gif
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish I could find the video that NOBODY did on barrel break in, it seemed to work great. If any of you guys with search foo. go for it.
    </div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg </div></div>

You beat me to it 3 outta 5 times. I've gotta get on my game.

Hahaha wearing out the berrel bfore he even fires it! Hahahaha!