• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

338 lapua build need some help

jmontgomery

Private
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2013
dexter mo
Hey guys I'm gonna be starting a 338 build soon and need some help on it first off what do yall think about the tac338 action I am gonna start my build on this action also barrel lenght twist etc I know I will be going with a manners t4a with mini chassis prob going to shoot 285-300grn thru it ill start with these few questions and wil get more in detail on down the post so any help would be appreciated

To get the most out of cartridges like the 338 while running heavy bullets you will want a barrel in the 28-34 inch range. This offers a distinct disadvange in fieldablity. As such there are guys running around with short barreled 338s. But they are doing this at the expense of performance. In terms of twist rate 300 class bullets tend to like something around a 9 twist.

Jonthomps I would love to have your driver but don't have the cash for it right now its darn nice set up tho

Before you scoff at the idea of a shorter barreled 338, here is some good info. I have a 22" on a Tac338 action with Shilen 8 twist barrel, (9 would be fine, just happened to have an 8 available when I bought it)
-2720 fps (92 gr H1000, 300gr SMK) no pressure
-1000 lbs of energy past 1800 yds
-supersonic past 2000 yds
-7.4mils to 1k

Those numbers are real life and very good any way you look at it. If you want a 30" benchrest rifle, good luck. This isn't a BR site so I figure you want something practical as well as accurate. adding 6 inches to my barrel might get you an extra 150 fps, but at what cost? extra storage space and weight and maneuverability. Not worth it to me. I have had too many long barreled beasts to go back that way. Esp if you have to carry it anywhere.

Another interesting fact is Barrett offers their 98B with a short barrel for a reason. Their research team sees the positives of a more compact, highly effective weapon.

Good luck,
DT

Twist should be determined by the altitude at which you'll be shooting and bullet length(weight). Take a look at

JBM - Calculations

Length is your preference and how you plan to use it. DT hit it!

thats really what i needed to hear i would like to run a shorter barrel dont really want a real long gun a 22'' sounds like it might put me right where i need to be thanks alot and hey do you have a pic of your 338 i would love to see your driver

We are building an Aluminum .338 action now. It comes with an integrated 30 MOA picatinny rail, RB-RP or LB-LP, Single Shot or AICS box magazine cutout! $1500 out the door with an APA Tactical know and a mechanical ejector! Backed by the best in the business!

thats really what i needed to hear i would like to run a shorter barrel dont really want a real long gun a 22'' sounds like it might put me right where i need to be thanks alot and hey do you have a pic of your 338 i would love to see your driver

will do. give me a couple days

DT

I'm more in favor of the long barrels, although 2740 aint Nothin to complain about.
The advantage of the longer barrel is obviously more velocity, which means flatter trajectory for a longer period, shorter time of flight, which means less wind deflection, and more weight, which means less recoil.
My TAC338 is pretty new, only 30 rounds, but 3/8 MOA or better in the first three groups fired(two of the three were 1/4 MOA). It's a heavy gun, not a field gun by any stretch at almost 22 pounds, but recoil is on the order of a 223 hunting rifle.
By the way, the TAC338 is an awesome action!
qysetama.jpg
bybyheqe.jpg

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

vbwn.jpg

TAC 338 in a A3 stock.

22" and handy with my hunting Burris C4 scope (elev knob calibrated for my round at the factory. Can interchange knobs for different rifles/caibers)

its nice for hunting and the occasional super LR match, there is one kinda local (4 hrs) that is put on 4 times a year that goes out to 2000+ yds and I switch out scope with 5-25 steiner I have on match rifle.

And, here I am saying go short when my match rifle has a 25" barrel and a 10" suppressor on it. ha. BUT my next barrel I cutting down to 22" and going to get that new 5" suppressor that ThunderBeast is offering. That should shorten things considerably.

Regards,
DT